Gaikai
  • Awesome bandana collection though.

How did your nickname "Games Animal" come about?

Dave "Unstoppable Games Animal" Perry: I felt the games industry lacked a 'character' other than just the usual animated rodents, robots and evangelistical programmers. Someone a bit larger than life, very crass and 'in everyone's face'. I decided to go with the moniker 'The Unstoppable Games Animal', after hearing Chuck D describe himself as an 'Unstoppable Rhyme Animal' on Public Enemy's 'Bring The Noise'. It seemed so completely over the top and sure to offend the prissy, scared-of-change, faction within the industry that I immediately went with it. It was also memorable. You imagine the first day you walk into work and proclaim yourself to be 'The Unstoppable Games Animal.' It took a lot of conviction to make work, but it did.
  • "The Unspeakable Tool" would have been more appropriate.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I was always more of a Jaz Rignall/Radion Automatic man myself.

riggers.jpg

Seminal mullet.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    That's way more than a mullet.
  • Isn't one of the Mean Machines lot now at Eurogamer?
  • Gonzo wrote:
    One Dave Perry got all the karma. Made one game his whole life and is rolling in it. All the other one has to show for his life's endeavours is a few gamesmaster credits, some street fighter 2 skillz and the occasional interview with pranky.

Wasn't Perry (the bandana-less one) responsible for MDK and Cool Spot as well?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is that Steven Hendry?
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Gonzo wrote:
    One Dave Perry got all the karma. Made one game his whole life and is rolling in it. All the other one has to show for his life's endeavours is a few gamesmaster credits, some street fighter 2 skillz and the occasional interview with pranky.
    Wasn't Perry (the bandana-less one) responsible for MDK and Cool Spot as well?
    I meant one game worth shit, and by that I mean earhworm jim.

How about the Megadrive Aladdin game?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Cool Spot wasn't very good, and while MDK and Aladdin were (to many), I think it's fair to say that Perry will always be Jim.

Garriott's the one-game king. Is Prank not actually Unspeakable, then?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Oh, PS4 biz.

Looks like they're buying Gaikai to take any of its latent potential away from Microsoft, rather than having an attractive plan for it in the immediate.

Fibre cables won't be common in the UK for another 6-8 years.
  • Eurogamer have a good article on the Gaikai buyout here.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The words Eurogamer and Gaikai kinda put paid to that link for me.

[edit]

Oh, okay, because it's you. I read the first few paragraphs until the realisation hit: who would accept streaming in a world where most pipes could happily download the lot in fair time?* Streaming is a workaround for insufficient bandwidth - a play-while-you-wait approach. Only it doesn't work well unless you have the speed, and if you have the speed...

So I'm with JMW back there.

*Demo-browsing aside.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    MAXIMUM is best mechanics. Helped no doubt by the dawn of the 3D polymans era. Ultimate was another mag from the time, though the Internet doesn't recognise it. I enjoyed it, but then I was a kid.

I had a Chopper that was jammed in top, and I enjoyed that, too.
  • Escape wrote:
    The words Eurogamer and Gaikai kinda put paid to that link for me. [edit] Oh, okay, because it's you. I read the first few paragraphs until the realisation hit: who would accept streaming in a world where most pipes could happily download the lot in fair time?* Streaming is a workaround for insufficient bandwidth - a play-while-you-wait approach. Only it doesn't work well unless you have the speed, and if you have the speed... So I'm with JMW back there. *Demo-browsing aside.

You're in a thread called Gaikai, and Gaikai is one of the things about that article that puts you off? I would have thought you'd want to discuss it?

As for streaming over downloading, you'd never have to worry about hard disk space for one. Imagine playing a streamed version of Uncharted MP, you'd know that your connection won't be what fails you apart from maybe a slight loss of graphical fidelity to keep framerates up. 

Granted, the infrastructure isn't there to make this the answer, but I don't think we're far away from dumping the digital age and going straight onto the streamed age.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Imagine playing a streamed version of Uncharted MP, you'd know that your connection won't be what fails you apart from maybe a slight loss of graphical fidelity to keep framerates up.

Is this true?  If your connection is good enough to play a streamed version, surely it would be good enough to play an unstreamed version - far less bandwidth I'd have thought.  (Unless the code is poorly written to drop you when this a minor glitch in latency or something - which I suspect is probably the case with Uncharted ;p)

To me the main appeal is the "futureproofing" this stuff provides.  You don't need to change your local hardware as CPU speeds increase etc.  (Well, in theory; I'm sure the hardware providers will come up with something.)  And it'll only improve as pipes widen.  I got OnLive working OK (I think I'm lucky to be near one of their hubs or something), but it certainly showed potential...
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Imagine playing a streamed version of Uncharted MP, you'd know that your connection won't be what fails you apart from maybe a slight loss of graphical fidelity to keep framerates up.
    Is this true?  If your connection is good enough to play a streamed version, surely it would be good enough to play an unstreamed version - far less bandwidth I'd have thought.  (Unless the code is poorly written to drop you when this a minor glitch in latency or something - which I suspect is probably the case with Uncharted ;p) To me the main appeal is the "futureproofing" this stuff provides.  You don't need to change your local hardware as CPU speeds increase etc.  (Well, in theory; I'm sure the hardware providers will come up with something.)  And it'll only improve as pipes widen.  I got OnLive working OK (I think I'm lucky to be near one of their hubs or something), but it certainly showed potential...

The hardware on the streamers side would handle the connection to the MP server, which would most likely be local, and as such not really likely to suffer a dropped connection. All your bandwidth has to handle is the encoding of the video and the input data for button presses.
    If they can get the systems in place to support millions of people online at any one time and to keep the input latency down then there's no reason why this couldn't take off.
    Graphics can come later.
  • Streamings good for playing PS games on Sony devices that aren't ps4. Also ps2 games could all work on the console if the dedicated hardware isn't in the system.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I've not tried it on OnLive, but I'd imagine waiting for the game to sync and then be streamed would be a nightmare for MP. OK for SP but I can barely play BF3 without lag nevermind streaming the image down to me as well.

Couple of things holding this back. Broadband speed might not be a problem in the future, but download caps might be.

And how are the publishers going to feel about this? OK, they have some games on OnLive now, but not all. At the moment it's a bit of a bonus sideshow. How are they going to feel about taking a small cut of a streaming sub rather than their cut of retail?

How do you price something that's not even a digital copy, but a stream of a digital copy?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    How do you price something that's not even a digital copy, but a stream of a digital copy?

Horse armour.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    There's a SkyRim/Dawnguard promotion on the dash, if you click the Oblivion section it brings horse armour up as the first thing to buy. It's still 200 points.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I might be interested at some point in the future, Sas, but not for MP gaming. Not for WipEout or fighting games.

Skimming demos would be handy, but we all download the music we find and like on YouTube in higher quality, right?
  • I don't even think that it's a good idea for demo's. Promoting your new AAA 1080p blockbuster on a low resolution, low frame rate stream looks suicidal.

Where it should work for Sony is letting the casual audience access that big Playstation back catalogue using their shiny new Sony TV.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!