Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Original had one of my favourite gaming moments. It was used by ND / Sony / Cook & Becker for one of the art prints. And no, it’s not the giraffe bit. It’s when Joel and Ellie have an argument and she runs off. Joel finds her in the bedroom of some kid. Toys and kid drawings and all sorts everywhere. And she is just standing there, kinda soaking it in and how terrible it is - as was I (as Joel).

Is that early on? I was so completely bummed out by one bit, I think you could read the kid's diary in the days leading up to the world going to shit. It kind of did its job too well because I never went back.
  • First one was amazing but as with Uncharted and the Tomb Raiders, there’s too much killing of people and gets very repetitive. The exploration in them was great, but I’d had enough in the end.

Didn’t mind the infected though , but this looks like it’s all about killing lots of people again - I know I’ll get it though.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Said it for years, I'd rather have fewer, harder hitting enemies that go down in a bullet or two than a horde of bullet sponges that can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
  • I think about third or halfway through? When you’re still in Tommy’s Town I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Said it for years, I'd rather have fewer, harder hitting enemies that go down in a bullet or two than a horde of bullet sponges that can't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
    I think just fewer combat scenes as well, but make each one distinct. In both TLOU and Uncharted 4 there are so many combat scenes that feel like they don't serve any purpose. They don't introduce anything new, the enemies are the same as the ones in the last few scenes, they don't require any thought and so on.

It's weird how rigidly gamey they are as well, considering the levels of realism they achieve elsewhere. Whenever you see some long grass or some cover height walls you know exactly what's coming. Or when you want to find the way forward you just look for the box to stand on or the white hand holds on a cliff face, without even needing to stop and understand the layout of the place. As if it's not bothered about integrating the playing experience into an otherwise believable environment.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yeah, you end up going into autopilot and the environments can just pass you by.

The Division 2 suffers from that a bit, there's a big daft orange line leading you everywhere which does nothing for the immersion (although there is an in game tech explanation for it), but on occasion it borks and you end up wondering how to proceed. Then you're butting up against dead ends, painted on doors etc. so I'd reckon playing without it would be a chore. Tricky balance.
  • The toothbrush shivs did the immersion in for me in TLoU.
    Why are there so many toothbrushes and so few other, more useful things to use as a shiv?
  • I'm also a bit scared of the fan noise on my PS4 when I boot up Uncharted. It's been getting noisy anyway, but this is another level. I worry that The Last of Us 2 might cause a meltdown, especially in the heat of the summer here.
  • I started the remaster of the original Uncharted this morning, never having played it before.
    Interesting to see how the genre has progressed since, because boy is it clunky as all fuck.
    Still, it's apparently thirteen years old now, so I'm happy to cut it some slack.
    Drake controls like a shambling drunk mainly due to the camera being absolutely awful. 
    The gunplay is Police Squad levels of badness, and even for this series the "just press X for gameplay" nonsense is off the scale.
    It was probably all super-duper at the time, but I get the feeling it hasn't aged well at all.
    Probably doesn't help that I'm currently ass-deep in The Division 2, which I guess is the current benchmark for this type of cover-shooting silliness.
    Not a dead loss then, but it does a lot to annoy the player that was papered over in future titles.
    Also, it must be hell of a short? I played for probably less than a couple of hours, and when I shut it down it said it was 25% complete???
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If you don't like Uncharted 1... like it was noticeably dated by the time Uncharted 2 came out but it's mainly the traversal mechanics and general flow of the gameplay that got fixed up rather than the gunplay. So I don't know how you'll get on with 2.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Here's a random thing: I get so gutted when I go in CEX and the PS3 versions of the Uncharted games are literally £1.50 each. I remember playing Uncharted 2 for the first time on launch day and it being so exciting and beautiful. It feels like yesterday! But it was over a decade ago and now CEX can barely give the things away, they're just trash.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • 1 was a bit meh though. Played like a 6.
  • I played 2 at the time. Quite enjoyed it (certainly moreso than this one), though it definitely overstays it's welcome. My memory tells me it was a good bit more refined than this one, so it'll be interesting to see if that's just my memory playing tricks on me.
  • 2 was definitely a step up. I didn’t like 1 much but managed 2 ok. 3 was shit. I loved 4.
  • Yeah, I've never played 3.
  • 1 was always a bit of a slog, even at release it was a bit messy. I worked at Game when it released and people were wishing so hard for a new good PS3 exclusive. Remember these people paid minimum £425 for the console at the time...

Actually that’s probably what the ps5 is gonna cost now isn't it. If it’s fully backwards compatible I’ll probably pay as much as £400. I’ve been holding off buying a new PS4 for over a year and a half. The fans are very loud (even after a tear down and air dust) and it regularly just spits discs out mid game or film, then tries to do so for hours, just beeping, till I power off fully and leave it for the day.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    If you don't like Uncharted 1... like it was noticeably dated by the time Uncharted 2 came out but it's mainly the traversal mechanics and general flow of the gameplay that got fixed up rather than the gunplay. So I don't know how you'll get on with 2.

I think the spectacle carried the series further than it really needed. And after the sugar rush wears off the value of the overall package becomes closer to the $1.50 for used copies. Its The Mummy films or Indiana Jones with the same amount of interactivity.

The biggest shortcoming is the robo-platforming. The only skill required is patience, while the character traverses a few rocks, and after the mandatory cinematic slip which only actually means you then have to hold the analog stick in a single direction for three times as long.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • NDs games always have too much combat but they're pretty and they tend to tell good stories so that pulls me through. I thought they did some good stuff to the combat in 4 that made it a bit more free form than the previous ones but it still did the multiple waves thing which is always annoying
  • New trailer today at 4pm apparently, so we can all push play to emote.
  • Wonder how much of that trailer will be a reaction to the leaks.
  • Leaks or not, Nd trailers often spoil the biggest set pieces of their games. I'd avoid it unless you want to hate play it later
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah probably won't watch it if it's coming out so soon
  • I've managed to resist spoiling it for myself so far. Im not sure I'll be able to resist watching a new trailer though. This and Ghost of Tsushima are my 2 most wanted this year.

Uncharted 4 trailers should never have shown that big chase sequence imo.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Gonna go in blind I’ve seen enough to know I’ll still like it. Worse case scenario is it’s gonna be more of the same and I’ll be happy with that.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Gonna go in blind I’ve seen enough to know I’ll still like it. Worse case scenario is it’s gonna be more of the same and I’ll be happy with that.

This is where I’m at with it. I know most in here don’t like ND’s stuff but it totally floats me boat so I’m in and with knowing as little as possible too.
  • I can’t wait for it, and it comes amidst my 3 weeks off, perfect.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    When’s launch? I’ve got last week in June off.
  • My overseas trip is most likely going to be cancelled so I might take time off for this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!