Avengers End Game **SPOILERS DISCUSSION**
  • It's not an origin story as such but it is a good way to introduce a character already in the universe.
    SFV - reddave360
  • No, because no one needs to be told about that.

This sounded more arsey than I meant.

What I mean by this is that everyone knows the beats of the Spidey origin. Radioactive spider. Uncle Ben. Great power comes great responsibility. Anyone watching a Spider-Man film already knows this because it's just popular culture. You never need to have read a comic to know this. (see also Batman and dead parents).

By assuming you already know this, Homecoming can jump forward and tell a different story.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    My brother got my kids Spiderman and AntMan 2 on DVD. I’ll be giving the former a watch this weekend as is the only MCU film I’ve not seen.  Looking at the blurb at the back... it’s set after Civil War? So there isn’t a Spiderman origin story in the MCU? Interesting.

That just means not yet, also does Myles Spiderman cartoon (bloody brilliant btw) count as "an" origin story
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Spider-Verse isn't MCU.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Cheers for heads up, I do get confused what's in and what's out, especially when tone is so different in certain movies
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • No, because no one needs to be told about that.
    This sounded more arsey than I meant. What I mean by this is that everyone knows the beats of the Spidey origin. Radioactive spider. Uncle Ben. Great power comes great responsibility. Anyone watching a Spider-Man film already knows this because it's just popular culture. You never need to have read a comic to know this. (see also Batman and dead parents). By assuming you already know this, Homecoming can jump forward and tell a different story.

Yeah it did seem a bit arsey, but thanks for clarification. And I get your point. Could’ve just come to the same conclusion myself if I had just thought about it I suppose. :)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    He does mention it to his buddy when they're chatting in the school corridor at one point. Matey boy asks where he can find that spider or something similar
  • Spider verse does tell an origin story but at least it’s not Peter Parker. There’s nothing to stop an origin story being interesting - I think though in the case of MCU Spider-Man they wanted two things: 1) a Spider-Man who can genuinely be fairly happy go dopey mostly and 2) have a dad in Stark - both of which are much harder if you show nobheadness and dead uncle in the film.
  • Homecoming was ok. Wish I had seen it on release though, would’ve added to a couple of moments in laternfilms. (Hug and zip it adults are talking.)

Probably the best end credits scene!
  • They didn’t do the origin again because they’ve already done it twice in recent films. A third would be even more tiresome and the fans wouldn’t have bothered with it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Homecoming was ok. Wish I had seen it on release though, would’ve added to a couple of moments in laternfilms. (Hug and zip it adults are talking.)

Probably the best end credits scene!

It is the absolute best end credits scene, hands down
  • Even the most casual of moviegoers must know Spider-man's origin by now. His Dad had sex with a giant spider that killed him afterwards, it then laid an egg and was killed itself by Uncle Ben, seeking to avenge his brother's murder. Ben took the egg home with him and it hatched, the creature burst out and immediately tore off Uncle Ben's head. The creature was then raised as a human by Aunt May who taught it the value of not eating people's heads.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ love it
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I watched this. It was good.

Can someone summarise the last 14 pages for me, please?
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I watched this. It was good.

Can someone summarise the last 14 pages for me, please?

So how does time travel work?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Quantum magic.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Quantum Jump
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just back. Splendid

No point trying to rationalise time travel. Just go with it.

Would have liked a hulk v thanos pay back but apart from that really enjoyed it.

That cap marvel lady is lovely.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Also, Random Nameless Rat is the hero for bringing AntMan back which sets it all in motion.

Confirmed by the directors. Rat is the real hero.
  • Managed to avoid spoilers and have now seen this. Pretty good, the whole time heist idea was weak but they did pretty well with it in fairness. Would've liked more Hulk, again, but it's not like I didn't have fun. Thanks really is a top tier villain, I think that's why I liked Infinity War so much.

A look at an MCU list suggests I've seen 11 films in full (plus a further three I didn't finish). I'll probably give Doctor Strange a go , and the second half of Black Panther, then that'll do me I think. Enjoyed the journey though, it's remarkable how solid they are on the whole.
  • monkey wrote:
    Falcons beard is the worst thing I’ve ever seen.
    Just out of this and monkey nails it on page 1 of the thread.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was atrocious wasn't it? Like someone had shopped it on but slightly in the wrong place.
  • Yeah, it was bafflingly bad. Made his face look odd.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!