Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Three minute warning!
    Attention VR Freaks! The annual Keynote presentation kicks off today, and with Valve’s Index successor waiting in the wings (?) buzzing to see what the Reality Labs wizards pull out of their arse.

UGT0pyq.gif Timings 10am PT / 1pm EDT / 6pm BST / 7pm CEST. Aussies will need to set their alarm for October 29 at 4am AEST!

Live links: https://www.facebook.com/facebookrealitylabs/

or https://uploadvr.com/watch-facebook-connect-2021-livestreams/

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I tried to watch the keynote live stream but I can't stand Zuckerbergs hideous robot face and voice.
    And all that "metaverse" and "social home space" shite can get in the bin.

Just show me a new headset that is cheap yet powerful and will let me enjoy games.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Our Quest has stopped letting us install games even though there's 10gb free.
  • The leaked HMD isn’t the next Quest iteration - it’s a high end (ie expensive) sku called “Project Cambria”. Due next year. Supposedly Quest software/SDK compatible, but very much not going to be in Quest target price range - the optics, full colour MR pass through, eye tracking and inside-out tracking from the controllers will be pushing that price up pretty high. Would hope it stays under a grand though.
    Looks like the proper “Quest Pro” line TBH.
  • Is this still on? Has anything interesting been revealed? Went to a Zero Latency VR place recently and have been looking at these a lot since.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • So fuck all interesting then?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Crossposting myself from the No Subject thread.
    poprock wrote:
    Okay, so one thing it does mean for us lot is that they’re ditching the Oculus name. From next year Hair will be telling us all about the latest VR shenanigans on his Meta Quest. 

They also announced their next-gen headset, codename Cambria. More expensive and more powerful than the Quest. Apparently it will do ‘passthrough’ - mixed reality/AR as well as VR. Something called Colour Mixed Reality Passthrough and something about Pancake Optics. I dunno. 

Teaser vid: 

Finally there was something vague about “you will no longer need a Facebook account to access our other services because we will be Meta-first not Facebook-first”. I dunno. Partridgeshrug.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd be content with being able to install games I've just bought on my existing headset tbh.
  • As usual Carmack's honesty was the best thing about it, but still the least tech thing a tech company has done in ages. A VR show without significant hardware is a weird move.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That isn't how you bow out properly
  • Christ I'm not welcome. Fair enough.
  • I guess it's my own fault. Bye then.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Eh? Who said you’re not welcome?

Well, that presentation was equally disappointing and cringeworthy. Still, guess it would suck for the new Quest 2 owners if another headset was ready to roll so soon.

Frantic, hope your space management issues will be sorted in an update, perhaps ATM it needs twice the space to install something? I encountered similar storage shenanigans when installing RE4 (had the capacity but wouldn’t download until I freed more room than the game size).
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Wiped the entire headset and started again. Seems to be sorted now hopefully.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Filthy swine.
  • I'm considering selling my Quest 2 and have a buyer lined up offering £200. As much as I like it, I only dig it out now and then to see what is new. I have spent a fair bit on games for it, but I imagine I will pick up the next version of it.

Is £200 a fair price? I have one of those other headstraps for it too.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It’s £150 cheaper than a new headset (with an elite strap).
    Is it the 64GB version?
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I tried to watch the keynote live stream but I can't stand Zuckerbergs hideous robot face and voice. And all that "metaverse" and "social home space" shite can get in the bin. Just show me a new headset that is cheap yet powerful and will let me enjoy games.

whathesaid
    rest less
  • It’s £150 cheaper than a new headset (with an elite strap). Is it the 64GB version?

It is the 64Gb version, but it's not the Elite strap just one of the third party ones
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • I’m considering selling my Quest 1 64GB. How much do you think I would get and anyone on here want it? With original box, controllers and eye glasses support.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Sorry, have a couple already! EBay or CEX would give you an idea of value.

Hey, some good news! Quest owners will be able to unlink their Facebook account and keep their software purchases from 2022, Meta has confirmed.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hey, some good news! Quest owners will be able to unlink their Facebook account and keep their software purchases from 2022, Meta has confirmed.

Ooh that does feel like progress of sorts. I don't I'll get one still, but slightly more likely I suppose....
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm suspicious. They're surely going to replace it with something equally nefarious. It's not like they're just going to stop harvesting and selling as much of your data as they can.
  • One account with the company is not going to be much different from another. I think all it means is that people without a Facebook account can have a Quest, same as people without a Facebook account can sign up to Instagram. The company still gets you and your usage data, just with one less cross-match.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I don't believe they won't communicate data between the accounts either. Plus, it's Facebook. They've regularly demonstrated that they are perfectly willing to lie.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    True, however Google and PayPal among many other companies collects exhaustive data about its users in the service of brokering ad sales around the web.

Technically, they don’t “sell” your information, but share and monetize it.

Edit: I just need a cheap and extremely capable headset as an escape hatch to other worlds and the Quest is the only wireless VR console which does that. Share my browsing habits by all means, see where it gets them.
  • Fuking terrifying, FB almost certainly could construct the perfect areolas wot make gnozo cum, with scientific certainty.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Worth the price of our souls.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    True, however Google and PayPal among many other companies collects exhaustive data about its users in the service of brokering ad sales around the web. Technically, they don’t “sell” your information, but share and monetize it. Edit: I just need a cheap and extremely capable headset as an escape hatch to other worlds and the Quest is the only wireless VR console which does that. Share my browsing habits by all means, see where it gets them.

I don't have a problem with them using the data relevant to Oculus, but it's Facebooks attempts to monetise everything about your existence, not only your use of Facebook or Oculus, that worries me. Coupled with the fact that they have made claims and then been perfectly happy to walk those back and blatantly lie. We won't be taking any of that data. Oh by the way we totally will.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Another issue is I genuinely think Zuckerberg is as dumb as a bag of rocks. He may be technically proficient (or just got lucky, I don't know) but he has the emotional intelligence of a cockroach.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!