Horace - PC
  • Nah, it was bumped because I splashed an amount that cannot be mentioned on a PC partly (though not primarily) so I could play this. It was a bonus that the week I finished my build that this went free on Epic. Guess it’s how I’ll make my money back eventually. If I’d played this last year it would have been my goty and probably in my decade list too. It’s brilliant.

Ha! Did you get an Oculus Quest as well? Get the cable and when March rolls around Half Life: Alyx will make the money worthwhile
  • Nah, it was bumped because I splashed an amount that cannot be mentioned on a PC partly (though not primarily) so I could play this. It was a bonus that the week I finished my build that this went free on Epic. Guess it’s how I’ll make my money back eventually. If I’d played this last year it would have been my goty and probably in my decade list too. It’s brilliant.
    Ha! Did you get an Oculus Quest as well? Get the cable and when March rolls around Half Life: Alyx will make the money worthwhile

I think this is my plan.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B is playing this now. He's getting very angry. They've rotated pixels and used a capsule collider for a platformer. Seems to big crimes.
  • Yeah, but he probably didn't get the Auf Wiedersehen Pet cameo either so....
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Probably not, at the end of his session he was very angry at the way the game was coded and he was tempted to find the github to either fix it or laugh at it.

I don't think he will play more of this, in the end it was the input lag that killed it for him. And probably because he's not English, because you all seem to find it very funny.

• Capsule colliders do suck, to be fair
  • Well this is nice.  Enjoying the cut scenes immensely and the platforming just about gets a pass (thanks in no small part to the superb cut scenes).  

The thing is, I never really enoyed the collect 'em up platformers, even way back when.  Plok, Pugsy etc. (8/16 bit consoles are my reference points rather than the home computer era this game lovingly pines for).  The aim here seems to be to collect one million things, but for anyone who stuck with this to completion - how necessary is it to collect every last scrap of junk in each room?  I've started so I'll finish, but I'd rather do so without being told I can't go through some gates at the end without mopping up 700 bits of rubbish scattered throughout the world.
  • A fair way into chapter 7 on this.  Hate to say it as I've been looking forward to it for yonks, but it's not a very good platform game, particularly when it throws stealth or puzzle sections into the mix.  The actual jumpman bits aren't notably better than the average no-name indie titles I get sniffed at for playing/enjoying - the main difference being those types aren't stretched out over 20hrs and bookended by some of the most captivating cut scenes I've ever seen.
  • You're playing for the charm and not the jumping.  Late game it got too obscene for me.
  • I'm at peace with this because its charm game is ridiculous. It's very funny too, and the nods/winks are joyous rather than spot-the-reference tally ups.
  • Finally finished this (<12hrs thankfully). Just wanted it over for most of the game tbh. It's probably the furthest I've ever been from the general consensus on something (high metacritic, some perfect scores, 'indie game of the year' etc), but I thought it was a genuinely atrocious platformer - mechanically worse than anything sprite based I can think of in recent years. Will try to sum up thoughts for a review tomorrow but I'm flabbergasted by the level of praise.

The cut scenes, story and British nostalgia vibe were somewhere beyond outstanding; it's a remarkable game in that respect but if you tore down the window dressing I think I'd be tempted to go as low as [3] with the score. I play this sort of thing and I'll lap it up as a rule, but when you're actually in control of the character it felt like it put a foot wrong at every turn.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Didn't I say you'd hate it?
  • Hopefully I didn't say 'I bet I won't'.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Looòiol scrub gamer
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm, initial dabble and I'm unconvinced, both in terms of platforming (I'm team moot this far) and the rest (no particular laughs yet I'm afraid, and only two minor chuckles/groans). Also send to stutter ever so slightly on my PC, when it really shouldn't. Hmmm I guess I'll give it a bit longer though...
  • Anyone still playing this? Intrigued to see if it has staying power for the badgers who recently nabbed it on Switch.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I bought it for 89p or whatever it was but haven't actually used the Switch in months.
  • I played it for a few hours. It's genuinely funny and quite touching here and there, but the platforming becomes a bit shit after a while. It's one of the oddest games I've ever played and it's full of English culture jokes. Defo worth a look but uneven.
  • I agree with chalice entirely
    The Forum Herald™

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!