Control - PC/PS4/Xbox
  • I finally finished this. I loved it the whole way through for the same reasons everyone else did.

One of the things I really liked was the balance of time between battles. There's actually quite a long time between shoot outs sometimes which is really quite refreshing. Just gives you time to enjoy the space. Unlike, say, Uncharted which are games I also enjoy but I tend to get tired of the constant battles before the game ends.

Also those glorious physics. Really makes pretty much every other game out there seem static. Hopefully other devs take note.

I feel like there's a bunch of secrets I missed too. I found a few walls I could break through but I reckon there's more.
  • I found a few walls I could break through but I reckon there's more.

Oooooooohhhh... intriguing. I don't think I found any. Loved the downtime too, perfect for a chair rampage.
  • Ah, well there's a couple of semi obvious ones where you can see through but it's not totally obvious you can chip away at the walls.

One is
    Spoiler:
  • Got this for Christmas and it's so, so good. Love it
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Same!  And while I'll admit I had a bit of a wobble about 5 or 6 hours in, thankfully that's all over. I'm back to enjoying the hell out of it.
  • I think I've done 5 main missions now. It's really well put together and the combat can be a great laugh, especially now I've got most of the powers.

My only issue really apart from minor technical quibbles is that given the premise it could be a lot weirder. I'd love it if the layouts shifted around more, or there were more one-off oddities, or just some more bizarre and inspired enemy designs. I can see why with all the physics stuff going on they don't want to get too experimental, but it feels like it was set up perfectly for crazy goings on and it doesn't quite deliver on that.
  • Yeah it could do more at times. But there’s cool stuff throughout. Towards the end of the game it gives you more side missions. I recommend doing all of those as there’s some fun weirdness in them
  • I've just done a couple of bits that are more like it. The fridge thing, for example. It's getting quite tricky in places now too, which is good.

But then with more fast travel to revisit previous areas and more deaths, the loading times have now become a noticeable issue.
  • JonB wrote:
    I've just done a couple of bits that are more like it. The fridge thing, for example. It's getting quite tricky in places now too, which is good.

But then with more fast travel to revisit previous areas and more deaths, the loading times have now become a noticeable issue.

The fridge thing is amazing. I too suggest doing all the side missions as they’re terrific. I loved this game and wish I could go through it again but just don’t have the time vs a new title.
  • There’s single player dlc coming sometime soon
  • The Anchor proved to be a proper tough battle. Must've died half a dozen or so times trying to get it right.
  • Finished off the main missions on this now. Overall, despite some annoyances and issues it's mostly very good. And it definitely ramps up the weirdness in the second half/optional missions. I'll be going back in to do some more of the stuff I ignored earlier.
  • I wish it had been just a little weirder, and it feels annoying that it succumbs to the whole "we built a world bible!" syndrome of only half explaining things because they want to carry on the universe later.
  • I really like what it's become post-credits.
    Spoiler:
    That could almost have been the whole game, but I guess the main story was necessary to hold it all together.
  • JonB wrote:
    The Anchor proved to be a proper tough battle. Must've died half a dozen or so times trying to get it right.

Was trying that fight this evening and getting annoyed by it. Didn't crack it so will go back tomorrow for that one
  • Man, there are some proper boss battles in the optional parts of this. It's almost like a different game to the main story at times. Some of them have been kind of annoying, but very satisfying to beat in the end.
  • Yup agreed. I done 3 now but all were interesting, different fights that I enjoyed. Don't think I'd have that much of the main story left so mopping up other bits before pressing on.
  • Yeah I feel like the side quest bosses should have been part of the main story. At least a couple of them. Seems weird to put some of the more interesting things in the optional side
  • I like the way they've done it, but it would've helped to understand it better in advance. I think I would've focused on getting the main story done first, then gone for the other stuff.

But it is interesting the way it drip feeds all this information from the start which seems like nothing but background detail, but then some of it becomes pertinent later on.
  • So that's all the side missions done. Most of them were definitely worth doing.

The issue now is I only have 2 more trophies to get for platinum.

1 is getting all ability upgrades, and since I can't get more points from missions that means finding loads more hidden locations. Not really an issue as I could easily follow a guide for that.

The other is for completing 25 countermeasures, and that will involve quite a lot of fighting hiss in various areas, hoping to trigger the right types. The thing is I've no idea how many I've done. If it's just a few more then fine, but it could be more like 10 or 12.

I shouldn't bother really, but having come this far...
  • Might as well get them!

• And done. Didn't have too much to do in the end. That's the first game I've platinumed in quite a while.
  • Nice. I have a few more things to do before progressing the story. Next plot point is
    Spoiler:
  • Got this for Christmas and finished it last night. I absolutely loved it. As others have said, I suspect I would have liked it even more if it had just been a bit weirder still, but I’m grateful for what I got - particularly some of the segments towards the end.
    Spoiler:

One of the few games where the collectibles are worth collecting, with a lot of it paying off later. The whole thing walks the line between horror and humour almost perfectly.
    I was also surprised that the fights never got boring, there’s a joy to smacking someone on the back of the head with a levitating photocopier that never wears off it seems...
  • Finished this myself. Agree about the end
    Spoiler:
  • I disliked this game fairly intently. I'm in the minority here. Part of the problem was the woeful performance on OG Xbox, it was just horrendous - borderline unplayable at times.

I thought this game would be right up my street but I found the combat scrappy and unpredictable, - you could die very easily in a couple of hits from something off screen, which then led to an agonizingly long load screen. Enemy design was uninspired and indistinct, and path finding and getting about the place was a chore. The map sucked. The mod system was completely pointless and totally unnecessary in this type of game. Having to scrap things in a menu became annoying. I found the general voice acting to be poor and the facial animations of Jesse and cast just creepy.

Yeah, biggest disappointment of the year for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I literally started this last night. BoneX, so it ran pretty nicely. Certainly an intriguing opening...
  • I finished it and found it pretty satisfying tbh.  Certainly the best bigA game i played from last years releases. Uber pc means it ran perfectly and load times between deaths were sometimes so quick the loading bar didn’t even fill all the way up.  I was thinking whilst playing that if i were waiting for console length loading times between deaths - it’d probably mean i like it much much less tbh.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    A couple of hours in now, few abilities got, enjoying it. Too many minor mods and mind selections etc though. Our at least, I'm kinda assuming I'm ok to avoid most of them... Energy and health and source weren't hugely well explained - the last of those is just got by shutting stuff is it??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!