Outer Wilds
  • This game is so satisfying when you find out how to get somewhere previously inaccessible by trying something obvious within the games logic.

Now, putting two and two together I think I can finish this next session.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Hunch was correct but apart from being tense that did not go where I expected it to.

Anyone else played this much or is it another thread like my wonderful 101 self talk?

Either way this game is essential. Portal genius and then some.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I wanna play it, but no time right now.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Frustrating as heck at times
  • I paid 35 bucks on ps4 and it's worth full rrp without a doubt.
  • I played it on Xbox. Thoughts on page one of the GotY awards thread, but they're vaguely spoilerific so I didn't paste in here. Great game.
  • As of right now it's probably my front runner or close with monster boy.
  • Monster Boy sneaked in at the end of last year (Dec 8th apparently), tried to include it myself.
  • I've started this (I was supposed to buy Obra Dinn instead but ignored everyone).

First time lasted about a minute before jumping into a geyser. Second time took off, went to some weird rock, wandered off into fog and got eaten by some floating angler fish thing.

The motion sickness I always get when starting a new FP game has now kicked in, so that'll have to do for a while. Should be better later.
  • Had a proper go on it tonight for a few hours. I do enjoy a good exploration game. Turns out the place I went first is probably the last place i should've gone. After a couple more random expeditions that ended badly I decided to start closer to home.

And now I've just managed to find a load of stuff on the twin planets.
    Spoiler:
    I'm not particularly good with the controls, but can usually manage a decent enough landing. And honestly the whole quantum blah, black hole, spacey stuff isn't something I've ever been interested in, so I'm unlikely to ever understand it. But going off to strange places never knowing what you'll find is always fascinating (in that respect one of the better comparison points is probably Dark Souls).
  • The twin planets and the idea behind them was probably the highlight for me.
  • And now I'm starting to get a bit bored. More trips out and very little progress. Returning to the same places, not finding what I need, running out of time, having to go back again. I've got loads of info but still no idea what I'm supposed to do.

I think it's just a little too sparse and sciencey for me. It's great when you find something interesting, but not frequent enough, and a lot of the time doesn't feel like tangible progress. I'd like to feel like I'd got further by now.
  • Are you using the ships computer log?
  • I got a bit bored of it too. It did have a great charm and was enjoyable...but then i got stuck in a bit of a loop of thinking i was on the trail to something, but running out of time, then trying to rush there quicker, trying to retrace my steps and maybe get a bit further but still not solve it..and then cos the levels change with time, I couldn't be sure if i was doing it wrong or just there at the wrong time. eventually I just stopped trying.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I think i’ve solved Giant’s Deep
  • I’m on my way to being able to do this, but I had to google some stuff. There seem to be one or two things that aren’t hinted at, unless I am being dumb and just haven’t seen the hints.
  • Finished it.

Great game, astoundingly smart in places, but misses the mark once or twice. It’s very good at nudging you here and there with hints, logical connections you can easily make, but there was one, just *one* thing I couldn’t figure out at all and had to google. I am not convinced it’s hinted at anywhere in the game unless I missed it.

I had the odd feeling of knowing what I needed to do about 4 hours before I could do it too. It’s a really beautiful game too, and a proper “hard” sci-fi story. The explanation behind the centre mechanic is very clever, and it all fits together in a beautifully clockwork universe.

Really enjoyed it, and great to see it grow from that old demo years ago, with lots of the game really feeling like it came from that heavy development time, and what it means to finally finish something like this as a creator.
  • What was the thing you googled?
  • How do I complete Outer Wilds?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    How do I solve Giant's Deep?

Which bit? there are a few places to investigate. be specific :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Why oh why do you young people today Giant's Deep?
  • Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Jeeves would've known.
  • Vela wrote:
    What was the thing you googled?

The first step to let me actually enact my plan
    Spoiler:
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:

Jeeves would've known.

Takes a big brain, sorry
  • Tempy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    What was the thing you googled?
    The first step to let me actually enact my plan
    Spoiler:

If I remember correctly
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • That’s the thing,
    Spoiler:
  • Tempy wrote:
    That’s the thing,
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!