Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • I highly recommend you play it with continuous movement (@120), but if you're getting nauseous play it on shift.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Ok, will try continuous movement when I continue.
  • Don't forget you can still teleport in smooth by pulling the thick back to bring up the feet icon. It's the best of both worlds although I don't think it shifts. I was surprised how good shift movement was. It's much less jarring than insta-jump.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I was finding insta-jump quite ok (in terms of not being too jarring) although I did end up getting close to the walls in my room at lot for some reason and did actually have a minor controller collision with a wall when trying to push a bicycle into the middle of a courtyard.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    The continuous movement went fine just there. I found it a little bit wobbly when moving vertically abruptly but otherwise quite ok so just teleporting for those sections. Still finding that I haven't really got the headset and IPD adjusted as well as I had hoped would be possible. I wonder if it is my eyes though given that I've always experienced image overlap when watching 3D films at the cinema...
  • You can buy corrective lenses if that helps. I don't know what it does for the overlap thing. Don't you wear glasses? It's more expense they should help with any CYL and AXS issues, if that's the cause.

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/valve-index/
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Yeah, I wear glasses and have them on under the helmet, although I suspect that the Index lenses could get that little bit closer if they weren't in the way. I have sphere, cylinder and axis adjustments for both eyes so it might be that these corrective lenses will be literally worth looking into. I'll likely hang back until my next eye test which is due in a few months, just in case the prescription has changed, and also so I can ask for an accurate IPD reading. Thanks.
  • I love how Valve just tinker with stuff. I seem to remember there was a Portal 2 update at the start of the month. 

Anyways, Alyx now has liquid physics in those previously empty bottles.

• jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Awesome. Other than putting a bucket on my head and trying to push bicycles, smashing bottles is one of my favourite things to do while playing Alyx - I look forward to being able to shake them before breaking them.
  • And I have to say, after just having a peek they're a lot more convincing. Sounds trivial but the bottles were the one class of object that felt a little off, like they couldn't quite nail it. Now they're one of the most convincing objects in the game. 

The physics is really excellent, including bubbles. It's funny how VR effects your brain. I think the bottles felt cheap and plastic before because they were empty, but now you can slosh them about there feels more of a weight to them. It's a small update but it deffo adds to the experience.
  • They need to add sound effects though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    They need to add sound effects though.

Imagine being able to open a bottle and listening to the contents glug away as it empties. Before smashing it of course.
  • It would be good to use them as fire traps.
  • They've really updated the workshop tools too. You can now create new chars and objects.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Updated Alyx so will enjoy sloshing the contents of some bottles around during my week off.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yeah it's a collaborative effort with Valve and MS. The speakers aren't the Valve ones despite what he says (although they are off-ear), but the resolution looks amazing. The FOV is only a tiny bump over 90 degrees and it doesn't have the Index controllers, which are two huge downgrades imo, but for the money it's good and if it's available then that's a winner right there.
  • "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • That was great!
  • Bestest game this year bar none. Linear but so personal.
  • I am at the start of chapter 4 but done my back in :(
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Despite being off this week I've had a lot going on. Can't remember what level I'm on now but I did the bit with the train yesterday, which was spectacular.

The dark sections prior to this were terrifying and combat with the Combine is somewhat alarming.

Enjoying smashing sloshy bottles for light relief...
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Despite being off this week I've had a lot going on. Can't remember what level I'm on now but I did the bit with the train yesterday, which was spectacular. The dark sections prior to this were terrifying and combat with the Combine is somewhat alarming. Enjoying smashing sloshy bottles for light relief...
    Yeah we are approx at the same bit
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yeah, the combine combat is when it starts getting frantic. Great though.
  • n0face wrote:
    No thanks.

Already the quality of the mods is amazing. Valve may not have released the full SDK but now you can make your own objects (including weapons) it should get pretty diverse. Just fired that up and played through it and it was fucking terrifying.
  • Belomorkaya Station is also great and terrifying. They disabled the grabbity gloves so you have to get up close and personal when grabbing ammo, which is in limited supply.
  • The diversity is pretty impressive. Some of the locations are pretty stunning.

Also, am I the only one trying mods?
  • If someone could make a half life version of this I'd buy a pc to play it.

But I'm not spunking 2 grand or whatevs on a PC
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!