IndyRef3 or 4 or 2, I forget
  • And even if it was the taxpayers - we're included in that number, Scottish citizens pay tax as well. To try and argue that the UK put that infrastructure in place as some kind of favour to us that we should be grateful for is just plain daft - it's not like Westminster said 'there you go, the infrastructure is in place, enjoy your oil and all the income from it', they controlled the income, attributed it to the UK fiscal figures, and wantonly squandered it, again, on shit that Scotland doesn't need/want/see any benefit from.

(and for another take on that, read the mccrone report, that successive Westminster governments suppressed, as it basically said an independent Scotland with control over its oil revenues would have became embarrassingly wealthy)

Look at Norway. Similar in size and population to Scotland, discovered oil, the population got wealthier as a result. We're the only country that has oil but is also skint, according to gers.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Fair enough mate. I think I'll stop trying to engage with you about this subject now. I know you created this thread with an 'educate me' intention, but tbh, you're coming across the exact same way as the 'too wee, too poor, too stupid' types I see on twitter and in the msm every day. I don't think you wanted any kind of insight, or were ever prepared to take any on board, you've already (IMHO) decided us gaining independence is a daft idea.

And hey, if we do, and it does turn out to be a daft idea, then hey ho, it's on us.

Much love.

No I don't think it's a daft idea, I do think words like "bullied" are very emotive and make a subject difficult to discuss. Especially when it's already emotive enough. I'm trying to be as dispassionate as possible here, I simply fail to see many of the supposed benefits of going it alone. That said you've already turned me on to the skills shortage and current inability to actively encourage immigration within certain industries. That's a freedom which is madness to be denied. As for too small, too stupid, whatever, I think no such thing, and have said no such thing

The taxpayer oil thing, tax subsidies are often given when granting prospect rights, and the licenses to prospect have come down in price the last decade, so the prospecting companies are in effect being supported by the taxpayer. I can't remember who said all this, but it stayed in my head from five years ago when it was discussed. I thought it very strange at the time, as it sounded far more aggressive than was necessary
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If there is only one benifit, that being 'no more Tory rule' then its enough.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    The big questions to me are how an independent Scotland would reimburse the British taxpayer for the oil if it assumes it will keep it. What Scotland would do about defence, and whether the subs would need to move south. These are things I've never seen Salmond or Sturgeon address, therefore it's hard for me not to think it's about personal immortality.
    1) You haven’t been paying attention, then.
    2) Do you have any idea how insulting it is to the millions of Scots who want independence to say that it’s just the will and idea of two people?

cockbeard wrote:
    The gas and oil prospecting and the infrastructure to get it out was paid for by the uk taxpayer.
    Like I_R, I’d love to see a source for this one.

cockbeard wrote:
    The irony that is clearly missed when thinking brexit and indyref are completely different subjects is hilarious though
    Maybe go and educate yourself on the nature of the two unions before you carry on down this road.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Fair enough mate. I think I'll stop trying to engage with you about this subject now. I know you created this thread with an 'educate me' intention, but tbh, you're coming across the exact same way as the 'too wee, too poor, too stupid' types I see on twitter and in the msm every day. I don't think you wanted any kind of insight, or were ever prepared to take any on board, you've already (IMHO) decided us gaining independence is a daft idea.

And hey, if we do, and it does turn out to be a daft idea, then hey ho, it's on us.

Much love.

No I don't think it's a daft idea, I do think words like "bullied" are very emotive and make a subject difficult to discuss. Especially when it's already emotive enough. I'm trying to be as dispassionate as possible here, I simply fail to see many of the supposed benefits of going it alone. That said you've already turned me on to the skills shortage and current inability to actively encourage immigration within certain industries. That's a freedom which is madness to be denied. As for too small, too stupid, whatever, I think no such thing, and have said no such thing

The taxpayer oil thing, tax subsidies are often given when granting prospect rights, and the licenses to prospect have come down in price the last decade, so the prospecting companies are in effect being supported by the taxpayer. I can't remember who said all this, but it stayed in my head from five years ago when it was discussed. I thought it very strange at the time, as it sounded far more aggressive than was necessary

Again mate, that's fair enough. I'm just trying to stop myself turning into the angry keyboard warrior of 2014 that I used to be. And I'd rather this place didn't go the way of my social media feeds during the indyref as well (not saying that's what you're aiming for either.)

If my response was overly harsh, I apologise. I respect the fact you're seeking to be educated on the independence supporters perspective as well, if more people in England tried that we'd likely already be independent.

All I'd say is, when it comes to Scottish independence, look beyond the msm, there are alternatives out there. Every single mainstream media outlet in the UK is opposed to independence. Even in Scotland, there is only 1 newspaper that actively supports it. 1 newspaper, for what, 40% of the population, at a Conservative guess? My older brother lives down in Sussex, and even he was saying he doesn't know enough about independence as he only heard the UK perspective down there.

But, as myself and others have said - forget every economic and political argument, for me the situation is this - the cunts in charge in Westminster are making a Royal fuck up of things. I fail to see how we could do any worse. That's enough for me.
  • I believe ideologically in the union, and the idea of trying to influence the UK rather than running away from it. But England’s gone too far now. Last straw time.

I look at what’s going on in the UK. I look at the Tory party. I look at Johnson likely being PM for a decade. I look at Brexit. I look at the likely future of the NHS, of education, of state support for those in need …

I look at Johnson in the press this weekend, promising to ‘reward’ the North for voting Tory, and I see the clear inference that he will punish Scotland for not doing so.

In Scotland, we can see a possible way out. Even if it’s painful in the short term, it has to be worth a shot. I’ll vote for it this time, if I get the chance to.
  • (I know i said I'd stop, but......)

Difference between the EU and UK. So, brexiteers have been shouting about taking back control, and not having to put up with stuff forced upon them they didn't want. And the obvious comparison is to indy supporters, wanting control, and not having to put up with laws they didn't want.

OK, examples? Give an example of an EU law that we have to abide by, but didn't vote for. In fact, there's some statistic (can't remember the source, or exact percentage) that says since we joined the EU, our meps have voted in favour of over 90% of the laws/rules/regulations the EU has passed. So what exactly are we having to endure that we didn't vote for? What control do we need to take back?

Right, on to Scotland. Off the top of my head, let's go with poll tax, bedroom tax, rape clause?

(when I tried to explain to a slightly dim-witted colleague in head office that the bedroom tax still exists in Scotland, we just don't pay it, the Scottish government effectively pays it on our behalf, he was flabbergasted).

There's dozens of examples of things that Scotland has explicitly opposed, but we have to put up with, because of sheer weight of numbers of English mps. Make no mistake, 'UK wide' elections are won or lost in England. Look at the other night - if all of Scotland had voted Labour, it wouldn't have affected the outcome in any way.

'ah, but why dyou want back into the EU, it'd be just the same!!'

Well, as i said we generally vote along the same lines as the EU anyway, and we'd have a veto, something we don't currently have.

As Andy said, the European Union and the United Kingdom are completely different in the way they're executed.
  • If the UK was dumb enough to give tax subsidies to oil companies then that's their fault. They can't try charging Scotland for it.
  • If the UK was dumb enough to give tax subsidies to oil companies then that's their fault. They can't try charging Scotland for it.

I think that's part of the reason we've made fuck all money from the oil, the government at the time gave really attractive rates to the oil companies. Again, I think there's more detail on that in the mccrone report.
  • Oil isn’t just about the profit it makes. It’s also about the investment it attracts, the employment it brings, the skills it develops, the investment in education it encourages, the innovation it pays for, the infrastructure it demands, etc etc etc.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Oil isn’t just about the profit it makes. It’s also about the investment it attracts, the employment it brings, the skills it develops, the investment in education it encourages, the innovation it pays for, the infrastructure it demands, etc etc etc.

That's very true, I always thought you'd see a very rich Aberdeen full of foreign contractors and companies actually making the money from any oil, as opposed to it filtering through any future Scottish economy. That worried me, we see enough mining/agriculture concerns in Africa to know that if multinational megacorp doesn't want to spend in the country it works in then it really doesn't have to
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Oil isn’t just about the profit it makes. It’s also about the investment it attracts, the employment it brings, the skills it develops, the investment in education it encourages, the innovation it pays for, the infrastructure it demands, etc etc etc.

And the ongoing destruction of the planet and yet the UK Government will continue to subsidise the industry despite having taken away the subsidies from the renewable energy sector. Utter madness.
  • The industry is being slowly taken apart now. Very slowly, but it is. Using existing infrastructure in smarter, more efficient ways and decommissioning infrastructure/rigs is where all the big investment is these days.
  • It makes sense to me that the Scots are looking for a way out again - there's been a material change in the circumstances that led to them staying and, beyond that, i'd also be looking beyond Brexit and at policies top of the agenda for predominantly English minority parties, namely Electoral Reform. Electoral reform will be great for the English but will crush representation for Scottish, Irish and Welsh parties and further invalidate their voices in Westminster. FPTP is not a great system, but it let Ireland have a voice last time round (albeit through the DUP) and it makes the SNP possible kingmakers in future hung parliaments. 

AV+, for all its flaws, is the only reform you could have when you're trying to balance the voices and needs of 4 separate countries in one union. If Scotland doesn't get out before something like Proportional Representation happens, the chances of them having another shot get even slimmer. 

Disclaimer: I'm not expert here, and a mandate is a mandate no matter what - it's possible the SNP could argue in future elections that they still have the majority of Scottish votes, ergo referendum. But do they want to take that chance?
  • In the vein of adding something of little value, I'll just state how amused I am at Cocko's insistence that he's here to learn, and then moves goalposts with every answer to his questions. Eventually we arrive at the irrelevantly absurd:

HBJ "we could divert those resources and skills into becoming a leader in renewables"

Cocko "well that would be nice but it rarely happens eh?"

Said in a sort of realpolitik, that's real life mate sort of way (just common sense innit), not acknowledging that this an unprovable negative assertion which effectively ends constructive discussion. You may as well say "well at any point an asteroid could come down in Argyle, so much for that or any other argument"

I'm half Scot on my Mum's side (well, half weegie) and most of my family live there. In 2014, I was on principle not happy about independence - generally I distrust nationalist movements and believe we're only going to be able to work on the bigger problems as larger entities - but since Brexit and the ugliness its revealed, I'm all for it. Fuck Westminster forever
  • Funkstain wrote:
    ...generally I distrust nationalist movements and believe we're only going to be able to work on the bigger problems as larger entities...

Do you not think it’s fair to say that Scottish Nationalism is somewhat different to other nationalist movements? Progressive, inclusive, welcoming.

I agree that the bigger problems need to be tackled on larger scales, but less certain on the extent to which those are larger entities, or smaller entities working collaboratively.

By way of an example, I was always and continue to be opposed to the formation of Police Scotland. It has led to centralisation and a marked reduction in the quality of local service. What would have made more sense to me, rather than amalgamating the separate Police forces and fire & rescue services into single national services, would have been to locally merge partners, so that shared resources remained local, and implementation was balanced to the needs of the area. Collaboration would still be possible with, for example, the purchase of equipment.

I think that is why in Scotland you see such support for independence, with support for EU membership; a recognition that a smaller government can more accurately reflect the political views of the people, while maintaining a collaborative approach on, for example, mutual trade benefits with neighbours and the wider world.
  • It’s a complicated question with a complex answer.

A short version is that I see functional, pragmatic and scale-based differences between centralised governmental and civil agencies, and devolved, local functions: some things probably work better centralised (water and sewerage treatment infrastructure and modelling on a country or even continental scale) and others probably work better devolved (specific local functions of water and sewage treatment and delivery, dependent on local personal and corporate needs; terrain and other idiosyncrasies). I could probably think of a better particular example than water.

But health equipment procurement on a country scale is going to work out better value for money than asking a load of GP offices / small independent hospitals to source a CT scanner or even just regular supplies (needles etc).

As you say, Policing feels similar: procurement and support functions could be centralised, but policy making, mission focus, prioritisation handled very locally.

How does this scale to government policies? Perhaps I’ve got too much of a utilitarian streak, but at some vague level I haven’t defined, I believe a baseline “good governance for almost all people” can be achieved: great schooling, healthcare, welfare; environmental protections, regulations covering food, industry, working conditions; national level public transportation infrastructure and provision, maybe even centrally mandated rules about buses for example, which arguably could be local but nationally, maybe it’s better to level the field a bit?

So yes: I think the SN movement is different from the typical nationalist nastiness, but I also thought everything could be recovered as long as Scotland was given proper attention and support and respect from a progressive central government. This simply has not happened, so the idea seems to find this respect from the EU. With Bohnson in charge, this isn’t just understandable, it should be encouraged.
  • To be clear I’m not for a second suggesting Scotland cannot achieve this good governance I describe. What I mean is that this could be a scalable system that works across borders. I probably sound like the craziest European project types.
  • Well just about everyone I know up here is now in favour.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • D’you mean Arran or Glasgow? Or just Scotland in general?
  • He means upstairs in his house.
  • His entire house is upstairs though.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    He's in the loft though.
  • That would certainly explain his lofty ideals...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • At the start of the pandemic, I said to a mate I was worried that the UK gov would use it as anti indy propaganda. 'the broad shoulders of the union got you jocks through it' etc etc.

Turns out I was right.

Thankfully though, it seems most of us have watched bojos cack handedness throughout it all and it's not working!
  • Aye. We all know that Scotland’s handled it better than England, so he can fuck right off.
  • I am curious to see how much mileage the BBC etc wring out of his visit to 'Scotland' (a soup factory, crab boat and military base) in the news over the next wee while.

'well no, I visited scotchland, and there is no appetite for another referendum. Now is not the time. We're taking back control from the EU. Building a better future together. No appetite. Meteolojinx Recanto or some other Latin shite.'
  • If Scotland goes then we’re all fucked, both sides of the border.
  • monkey wrote:
    If Scotland goes then we’re all fucked, both sides of the border.

Probably. But if I was a betting man (which I occasionally am) I'd bet folding money on Scotland being unfucked a lot faster than the rest of the UK.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!