Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
  • Didn't Disney say they were chucking out all the expanded universe stuff when they took over?
    SFV - reddave360
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Didn't Disney say they were chucking out all the expanded universe stuff when they took over?

Correct - they ditched a lot of it
    Non-film material produced prior to 2014 was collectively known as the Star Wars Expanded Universe (SWEU or EU). It was later rebranded to Star Wars Legends and declared non-canonical to the franchise, with the exception of the CGI-animated The Clone Wars film and TV series of the same name. Most works produced after April 2014 are part of the official canon as defined by Lucasfilm.
  • Disney said the books/comics i.e. expanded universe wasnt lore anymore. If that relates to lighsabers who knows. Windu had a purple lightsaber and he was a jedi.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Disney said the books/comics i.e. expanded universe wasnt lore anymore. If that relates to lighsabers who knows. Windu had a purple lightsaber and he was a jedi.

Pretty certain that's just because Samuel Jackson wanted a purple light saber.

SFV - reddave360
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I'm fully expecting the image of Rey using two lightsabres to deflect Emperor Palpatine 2.0's death lightning to become a meme for the Scottish Indy campaign as it resembled a Saltire. A brief Twitter search returned the following, albeit lacking the image: https://twitter.com/YesDayScotland/status/1207666783064330242
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Disney said the books/comics i.e. expanded universe wasnt lore anymore. If that relates to lighsabers who knows. Windu had a purple lightsaber and he was a jedi.

Pretty certain that's just because Samuel Jackson wanted a purple light saber.

It was, it had the intials BMF on it which were removed from the movie release
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    It wouldnt have taken too long to show rey recovering kylo rens saber, modifiying it to add a green crystal with his red to produce a yellow light.
    By the time you add in everything that people want that ‘wouldn’t take too long’, you’d be making the film several times longer. In a time when long-form dramas on TV arrive a season at a time and people binge on them, it strikes me that people are forgetting that there needs to be an economy of storytelling in feature films.

Which is indicative of a jedi sentienal class. There are three classes of jedi in the lore. Thats just me being a nerd.
    Unless that colour coding is in the TV series I haven’t watched, it’s been ditched.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've seen the thing. Overall, it felt like a poorly written movie with incredible creature design and production values that was cobbled together to do what Abrams wanted in two movies into one.
    I really feel a lot of the retconning of TLJ came across as cowardly - the closest parallel I have in my head is the revised ending of Mass Effect 3. And that's a shame, because this movie ended up doing so much of what The Force Awakens did in nodding back to other movies that it just doesn't feel like its own film - something that at least TLJ can say. Abrams got away with the trick in TFA because of the distance from the originals, but the wizard gets exposed the second time.
    It's a movie full of sentiment and nostalgia, but very little actual heart, possibly exposing the Kennedy / Disney authorial hand over everything as every decision was made seemingly to please fans.
    In the New Jedi Order books, they were brave enough to kill off Chewie by
    Spoiler:
    and so when it "happened" I thought 'that's a bit gutsy.' Two scenes later, and nope, no-one's ever really gone.
    Some of the overt fan service I enjoyed - little things like yaaas there's some Ewoks, or Chewie finally getting his medal - but having Han return, then Luke return almost back to back really seemed like they felt they had to do everything (although Wedge was welcome.) But yeah, it's an exercise in fan appeasement, and not in creative film-making, so there's no real excitement or wonder to it, just a bunch of "oh, yeah, that."

That all being said, things I liked -

Driver puts in a great performance and Ben's arc is the best thing in the movie.
    The set, costume, and production design are (sorry) out of this world. The aliens are incredible.
    And the best thing about the movie?
    When lando is in his little vehicle and knocks on the driver door to tell the guy to go somewhere, the door opens and this dumbfuck puppet, the coolest thing in the movie, answers it and goes "OKAY". Honestly, I was howling at how great that was.

• Is this better or worse than the last one?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • pantyfire wrote:
    There's not even wheels in Star Wars.

I did have a wee smile remembering this post when the new droid was introduced.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Is this better or worse than the last one?

Better!

• Andy wrote:
    pantyfire wrote:
    There's not even wheels in Star Wars.
    I did have a wee smile remembering this post when the new droid was introduced.
    Didn't see that Porsche shop tho, thank God.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • From reddit

The Star Wars Episode 9 Visual Dictionary is out today, and it clarifies numerous mysteries on the entire Trilogy.

u/NumeralJoker10h
    Allow me to share some of the points I've picked up upon skimming the book today. Beware that these plot points spoil much of the film.

Snoke was created by the Sith Eternal Cultists, possibly even before Palpatine died. He was absolutely a part of Palpatine's contingency plan, and his death was a minor setback as worst. His species and age are unknown "possibly unique", but Exegol is his home planet. His entire purpose was explicitly stated to be a trainer/test for Kylo to ensure he was ready to "inherit the Sith Legacy". Though he was also useful as a puppet to lead the First Order. It is again confirmed that he took over leadership from Rae Sloane, Brendol Hux, and Pryde.

Mustafar is the planet at the start of the film. The species you see Kylo fighting at the start of IX are Vader worshiping cultists who pilgrimage to Mustafar. Vader's castle is in ruins by this era. The Mask reforging scene was also on Mustafar.

Kif Bar is the moon of Endor, one of 9. It is an ocean moon, and where the DSII remnants landed. The Forest moon is simply called... Forest Moon.

The First Order that we're familiar with began when a group of Centrist systems unleashed a separatist movement (exact phrase used) from the New Republic 5 years BSI (Before Starkiller Incident, the calender used in the book). Before this, they had only operated in secret, using the Centrists in the NR Senate as their front, and using proxy armies like the Amaxine warriors to gain funds/resources, cause chaos for them. A lot of these events were discussed in the novel bloodlines, but this clarifies the timeline more.

Luke trained Ben at age 11 until 6 years BSI (Same Year as Leia's identity was ousted in Bloodlines). He trained him for 13 years total. Luke's Jedi order likely began this same year.

STARKILLER BASE IS ILLUM, CONFIRMED. Darth Tanis was the Sith Lord who created the weapon on Malachor 4000 years BSI. The ship's weapon was also intentionally engineered so you can see its effects from outside hyperspace in multiple systems, and it was built based on experimental Imperial tech after Sheev fell.

Exegol is one of the oldest Sith worlds and one of their deepest secrets in the unknown Regions. The Sith who run Palaptine's plan are part of the Sith Eternal Cult, and they are responsible for the entire events of everything you see in the ST, having operated behind the scenes to build power for decades, at Sheev's command.

The Sith Troopers and officers are not clones, but kidnapped children from Exegol and the surrounding systems that have been grown and reconditioned continually to be loyal. The reconditioning process is a more advance version of the clone flash training programs from the clone wars era despite them being separate beings. They have legions of soldiers named after ancient EU Sith like Revan, Teneborus, and Andeddu. This re-canonizes their names, at the very least. Ziost, Korriban, Malachor, Jaguada, Rhelg, Tython, Ossus, and other ancient worlds are also referenced.

Luke died because he put his living force energy deep into the cosmic force, which allowed him to project anywhere at great cost. The effects of this were so strong that when he let go, he became one with the force and died.

THE DYAD IS A SITH PROPHESY! They show the SIth runes and language that make up the prophesy, and it is said to be nearly identical to the language with forms the basis of the Rule of Two, with only a few symbols changed. The Rule of Two may even be based off of this text (my own speculation).

It is strongly implied that Palpatine died, but was resurrected. The exact mechanisms of which are not laid out unless I missed the text about it. This appears to be all part of his contingency, including what we saw play out in the Aftermath books.

From Aftermath, Yupe Tashu and the Acolytes of the Beyond are members of the Sith Eternal cult and were in on his plans.

Rey was left on Jakku when she was 6 years old.
    The Knights of Ren are rumored to either be the decedents of or based on a myth of ancient marauders who travel and raid worlds in the unknown regions. They do not seem to be explicitly Sith, but rather are recruited and ally with them. Each member gets their own full name and entry in this book.

Luke and Lando searched for Exegol together, and tracked Ochi's ship the same year he murdered Rey's parents.
    Leia has Han's medal in the film, and I'm pretty sure this is what Maz gives to Chewbacca at the end, so he sould have 2. (He was given a separate one after A New Hope in another story)

Poe was a spice runner when he rebelled at Age 16, but he later reformed and returned to the New Republic, before joining the Resistance. This means his backstory from the film fits with his canon story from other material.

Chris Terrio writes the forward intro and endorses Pablo directly, so it is clear that much of this info must come from ideas they discussed when writing the film. It came out the same day as the film's release, so it's not as if this info is a retcon of Episode 9 itself.

Overall, I very strongly recommend reading this book if you can. It clarifies concepts and mysteries that have been part of the entire sequel trilogy, as well as detailing numerous new characters, worlds, and ideas featured in the film itself. These were just some of the most important elements I had time to read. I'm sure more details will make it online very soon. Also keep in mind that the film was written with these facts as part of the intended history.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    And the best thing about the movie?
    When lando is in his little vehicle and knocks on the driver door to tell the guy to go somewhere, the door opens and this dumbfuck puppet, the coolest thing in the movie, answers it and goes "OKAY". Honestly, I was howling at how great that was.

Ahhhh!!! I forgot about that! Fucking loved it. It managed to trump random slug dude being on the exciting space adventure at the beginning. Seriously I need 10 hours of making of about the puppets and sets and stuff.

I also loved the War of the World's thing they had going in the background with Poe and the lady. I wanted to see more of that.
  • Dino laying down deep dive SW lore while reg and I squee over silly puppets in the corner.
  • Dino laying down deep dive SW lore while reg and I squee over silly puppets in the corner.

Isn't it nice that you both can be happy.

SFV - reddave360
  • Is this better or worse than the last one?

Much, much better. The only valid criticisms of this film are caused by the shoddyness of the last one.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Great info dump Dino. Really interesting.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Went with the twins last night, we all enjoyed it, if not blown away. Definitely want a rewatch, as there’s a lot I’m sure I missed, as it was densely packed with plot and action.

I thought they could’ve strung out the Kylo/Rey resurrection scene by having them resurrecting each other several times, whilst shouting ‘NO!’ louder and louder.
    Things can only get better.
  • Saw it this afternoon. It's better than TLJ, but still a bit all over the place.

Suggested plot lines that go nowhere. Inconsistencies with powers.

I know Leia said "Anything is possible.", but I don't like the projecting physical objects, and even being able to take them from others, especially with people as inexperienced as Rey and Ren. Luke doing it is one thing, but those two just casually doing it is a step too far.

It gets the fun parts of Star Wars right though, and the action scenes are good.

Would have preferred if Rey had no direct relation to any previous character, and if they were going that route, she could have been a genetically engineered potential host body for Palpatine instead, which would have better explained her strength in the force.

Also, she absolutely should have owned the name Palpatine at the end.

Lastly, I had a huge smile at the Wedge Antilles scene.
  • Andy wrote:
    Honestly, this is going to be a repeat of the last thread.

Nah. I enjoyed this one overall! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Wedge cameo was great I thought.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Just seen it. What a load of meh.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I consider myself a big star wars nerd, but for me the lore basically starts and ends with what's in the films. That's not to say i won't complain about anything if i think it's a bad addition but so long as it makes sense or the payoff is worthwhile...I'll allow it. ;)

On that note, i thought the transfer of physical things through the force between Rey and kylo was a bit much...but then the payoff at the end for that was really rather cool.

"Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It worked for me, because they start off not having control of it, the first time it’s intentional is when Ren grabs Rey’s necklace, it’s instinctive and rough around the edges. It’s not like they had it down to a fine art from the get-go.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I need to watch it again, but I thought Palps was controlling all that? Although the physical stuff was pointed out in TLJ with the rain wetting Kylo's gloves, it's just the pay off here.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I don't like that the Force just seems to be a magic plot device to do anything whenever needed. The snake healing thing, what made Rey think that was a good thing to try out then and there? Force voices?
  • It’s not the first time a person has realised a potentially dangerous animal is angry because it’s hurt. People sense that in real life, without needing the Force.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    They don't go on to heal them with their bare hands. There's also the ability to calm/control animals that is canon and would have been handy there too, and a lot less risky.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Actually I'm not sure people do just sense an injury in an animal in real life. Maybe they'd notice it moving awkwardly or something, but you'd first have to know what the animal usually moves like to be sure. Bit tricky with an alien you're seeing for the first time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!