Show us where you play games!
  • Eric wrote:
    Realised that I've not updated my set up for a while: ZJ4OOnX.jpg ZgYqa5E.jpg Pads: 43QWtjD.jpg Projected image: RbkFOP2.jpg
    Very nice. Funny how odd it looks without a telly on the wall though.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    oooh.. all the pretty colours of Saturns. I see you have both the RAM pack and standard installations available.. 
    That's a nice step forward indeed. Hehe

Decent mancave mind.. 

I hope the white cabinets either side are in fact where the discreet minibar and aged whisky/rum/absinthe/arak/port/sherry/esoteric continental spirits with appropriate receptacles are hidden away?
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I agree it does look weird without a TV and gaming during daylight means I have to cover all the veluxes (veluxi?) with towels which isn't ideal. Eventually I'll invest insome blinds, a top TV and a screen that I can pull down over the top of it!

Those two IKEA shoe holders now contain all my controllers (shot with controllers in is old). All my drinks and crystal are in my globe cabinet:

XFf5uiP.jpg
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I wish!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nice stuff there Eric.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I'll take a Globe hideyhole as a classicly acceptable substitute in this case.. 

hyuk hyuk

Nice.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice setup. Was just about to say that controllers are the bane of the collector but now you have them stored away nicely.

Like the coloured PAL Dreamcast shelving.

Next. A night time shot with a game running through the projector please.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Easily one of the nicest collections I've seen, because your consoles are ready to roll in a tidy fashion via the rear holes. Most people just stick their consoles on shelves with no holes and hide their cables, so it's not only a hassle to wire up each console every time, there's also no way to do it neatly.

Do you have labelled plugs and various input-switchers? Or a single HDMI from the projector to a box that accepts everything? I think what I'd do if I had the money and space is run all the wires into an empty compartment with a switcher in it, so that I'd only have to open its door to plug in what I wanted. Same for power cables in another compartment.
  • Thanks davy, virtually everything there is IKEA including those coloured shelves. I haven't got many in game shots so I'll try and post an in game video next time but for the time being:

Hands there for scale!
    ydFk99Q.jpg

@Escape! Yep, all the inputs (analogue and digital) run into the AV receiver and then are output through a HDMI that tracks around the room to the projector so I can then switch between which console I want to play by switching through the amp inputs. 

This amp allows you to stack lots of different analogue inputs into each designated AV input along with the HDMI digital input and as long as you don't have two sources playing at once it works a treat.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I didn't realise you could get amps with that many inputs. So you run the analogues into the Denon, and then RGB SCART from there to the upscaler for HDMI conversion (and on to the projector)?

Or just one SCART into the amp via:

1309243676.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Eric can you come and feng shui my games room please
  • Since scape and ERIC are both in there and clearly know their shit: would the above solution - scart to HDMI be work if passed through an ELGATO screen recording device? Might be an easy way of getting some legit footage from old games for me old YOUTUBZ stuff
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    With Eric's converter up there (on top of his amp), sure.

This one, @Eric?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHAS-Converter-Adapter-Support-Set-top/dp/B00RMMGOGS/

No idea about its input lag.
  • Escape wrote:
    I didn't realise you could get amps with that many inputs. So you run the analogues into the Denon, and then RGB SCART from there to the upscaler for HDMI conversion (and on to the projector)? Or just one SCART into the amp via: 1309243676.jpg

Sort of but the other way around. The RGB scarts run into a HDMI converter (ideally this would be a framemeister XRGB or an OSSC but at the moment I have a cheap ebay one) then into the amp. 

The benefit of the amp is not only does it take all the inputs, it upconverts to HDMI at the same native resolution (it also upscales if you want it to) plus it outputs all the consoles sound through my 5.1 set up.
  • Escape wrote:
    With Eric's converter up there (on top of his amp), sure. This one, @Eric? https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELEPHAS-Converter-Adapter-Support-Set-top/dp/B00RMMGOGS/ No idea about its input lag.

Thats it.

Lag wise its not noticeable, there probably is some but I don't pick it up even playing fightmans. Could be that the projectors lack of lag cancels out the processing delay through the amp?

It would be interesting to see if someone with quicker reactions could determine whether there is any. 

And yes Temps that would work. Another option would be to buy a Retron 5 (about £100) as you get a bit more control on your image output.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Do you have a SCART bank before the HDMI converter, then?
  • Eric wrote:
    And yes Temps that would work. Another option would be to buy a Retron 5 (about £100) as you get a bit more control on your image output.

I'm more concerned about awkward to emulate stuff like OG Xbox, Gamecube, Playstation 2. I mean I can emulate them, but often the hardware and software is dirt cheap and I would rather that than fuck about with roms etc.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Could be that the projectors lack of lag cancels out the processing delay through the amp? It would be interesting to see if someone with quicker reactions could determine whether there is any.

Unless there's a bunch of lag it's hard to judge without proper testing. If it's a modern DLP projector it might have lag in the 30-70 ms range (the best DLPs are ~20), but if it's an LCD then it's probably towards the higher end. Amps tend to add 10-odd ms; not much.
  • @Escape No I just swap the scart over, I was concerned that if I had another level of switching I could be getting some lag! That switch looks good though, does that output via component or composite. If its component, colour me interested!

@Tempy, fair enough. For those consoles, I input via component (Gamecube comes via the Wii as component cable is extortionate) into the amp. You will get better results this way than via scart which means you will need to buy a component to HDMI converter like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro®-AV-Pro-Component-Converter-Support/dp/B0085OWMBI/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1478189780&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=component+to+hdmi&psc=1
  • It's a Benq W1070 DLP, I'd be interested to know what my lag is like, it could explain my SFV record!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Luckily that's one of the fastest projectors around. SF V runs at 60 fps, and your 1070 averages 2 frames of delay. The 1070 and Optoma's HD141X/GT1080 are all very similar for lag.

Nah, that thing's composite now that I look at it. You'd end up with this if you ran SCART-out to a component-plus-optical adaptor:

bfry48.jpg

An all-in-one switcher'd be snazzy.
  • This looks the ticket: 

http://retrorgb.com/gscartsw.html

Ideally I'd prefer component over VGA but I could still work with it if it wasn't so expensive !
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Eric can you come and feng shui my games room please

Only if you feng shui my games collection, other than my DC collection everything else is in draws or cupboards!
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ah, VGA with an audio jack. That's nice. CRT monitors as well as modern displays.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Since scape and ERIC are both in there and clearly know their shit: would the above solution - scart to HDMI be work if passed through an ELGATO screen recording device? Might be an easy way of getting some legit footage from old games for me old YOUTUBZ stuff

If the scart to HDMI connection works with your monitor normally it should work with the elgato as it just sits in the mix as a pass through device before your screen. All of the processing on the card is done seperately and sent back to PC by usb so there's no lag on the signal going to your monitor.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Solid choices for the projected games Eric. The first half of Robocop Vs Terminator is top quality scrolling 'n shooting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I must get a picture of my retro setup. Not as classy as Eric's. However I have used Ikea.

I have gone the RGB SCART route. Using a 32" Sony LCD and a 25" Panasonic CRT. I haven't totally decided just yet on my setup but I'm using a powered switch - here it is:

thor-28570T-av-control-centre.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • It's a top game and some of the weapons later on are real meaty. Must make sure I hand pick a stone cold Moot classic for my next screen shot!

That looks swish davy, I'm looking forward to seeing your setup!

• The silly final boss brutalised me last year, even with save states.  I'm just bitter.  Who knew Skynet was a huge floating T-800 head?
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    When I played games, this is what stares back at me...

evilcat.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!