The Western: A Primer
  • Glad Open Range got a shout.

A few good 'uns that haven't been mentioned: McCabe & Mrs Miller, The Culpepper Cattle Co., Seraphim Falls (left a lot of people cold but I thought it was excellent).  Has Dances With Wolves been mentioned?  Fantastic film, easily one of my favourite westerns.   

Lonesome Dove is my second favourite novel.  I've read the lot - two prequels and a sequel - and they're all worthwhile, but LD is easily the best.  Masterpiece.  Perfect casting for the miniseries too.

@retroking1981, in case he misses the thread.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Meeks Cutoff is an exceptional western by Kelly Reichardt with an exceptional cast, including Michelle Williams and Paul Dano.
  • Yep enjoyed that too.  Does what it needs to do with a PG rating which is unusual for the genre.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Phew for a moment I thought you meant this prick

0_National-Film-Awards-2016.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I'm not sure if it's true, but I remember reading a story about him turning on the Christmas lights somewhere (maybe post Hollyoaks but pre Celbrity Love Island), and excitedly shouting "make some motherfucking noooise" over the microphone at the congregating familes.
  • Nice thread Muggins. I'm with Elf with this, Once Upon A Time in The West is a masterclass in story telling, cinematography and score writing. It's long but so so good, Charles Bronson and Henry Fonda (as the bad guy) are just brilliant in it.

Love the Searchers, Wild Bunch, Man who shot Liberty Valance and Unforgiven all which have all been mentioned.

One that hasn't but I rate very highly is The Gunfighter with Gregory Peck which tells the story of why a feared but aging gunslinger called Johnny Jimmy Ringo can never really hang up his guns.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Even if it's apocryphal
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It has enough of the ring of truth to it
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    So I'm going to choose to believe it

edit: no idea how the triple post happened, but figured I'd look arrogant instead of inept
  • Interesting. Haven't seen The Gunfighter. Will try and track it down! Thanks Eric!
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Hey, Silverado wasn't that bad! ;)
    I know. I was joking in terms of the thread, but not so much in terms of my own tastes! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Aye. Would love to visit Utah in particular.

Utah and the surrounding states are fucking stunning. Genuinely awe inspiring places to be in the middle of. Such a wide range of scenery too. I recommend riding a bike through the desert to get the full scope of it :P
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh - someone mentioned The Sisters Brothers

Watch it.

Also forgot about Open Range. Great call.

Blazing Saddles as great as it is, is even better if you like Westerns and therefore should be on the list.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I should have put a comedy Westerns category and included Blazing Saddles and Three Amigos! Three Amigos is odd in that it is at once taking the piss out of the genre but also being a pretty great fish out of water story. It does two seemingly contradictory things at the same time.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Utah and the surrounding states are fucking stunning. Genuinely awe inspiring places to be in the middle of. Such a wide range of scenery too. I recommend riding a bike through the desert to get the full scope of it :P
    Ah I definitely need to go. The Westerns have given me the need to see those wide open spaces!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    XOMuggins wrote:

I lived there. It's as massively open and wild as you can imagine. The red rocks are something else.
  • Damn Reg and Shabby, Muggins is jealous! :D
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Hey, Silverado wasn't that bad! ;)
    I know. I was joking in terms of the thread, but not so much in terms of my own tastes! ;)
    :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!