Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
  • Just finished.

What a game. Absolutely everything you would want, I think. Can't wait to come back on Hard mode.
  • That soundtrack.
    Lift the Ground.
    Chefs kiss
  • Downloaded, played first two levels, surprised that I'm enjoying solo. Always was a Blaze man, like the ladies so I do. Not sure if that's making it harder or what, game seems fairly tough. Looking forward to the weekend.
  • I think character choice is very much stage dependent. When it gets down to the high score nutters there will be select characters per stage topping the boards.
    For coop it will be a case of balancing that choice.

I'm maining Floyd right now but some stages are clearly not built for him.

Edit: I say maining like I know what I'm doing I am utter dog shit at this game.
  • I mainly played with Adam. Absolute scenes at the final boss!

I think this is the happiest I have felt in weeks.

GOTY, for me.
  • Yeah, as soon as I switched to Adam I didn't need to retry any stages until the last one. He seems a bit OP, but I suppose that makes sense as he isn't one of the standard characters. Charge kick into standard special wrecks. Great game.
  • Made it to level 4 with Blaze. Bloody hell its tough, and that’s only on normal.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Played online co-op with a mate who grew up with a Mega Drive and SoR games. Just breezed through on easy. Lag is definitely noticeable online, with tap, tap, attack moves not always registering, but in general, very playable.

So much fan service, and references to other games in the genre, or vs fighters.

The boss of the first stage is just Oro from Street Fighter III in robot form.

Will need to unlock all of the characters. The SoR 1 characters are good for a nostalgic laugh, but their total lack of options makes them trash tier.
  • The SOR2 characters seem to be well up to the task. Only unlocked
    Spoiler:

so far, but flew through the first stage with him. His moveset is the same, but you can chain certain moves together with more fluidity.
  • Can you unlock
    Spoiler:

I'm not sure who I love more, Blaze or Ms Y.
  • Anyone getting this on Switch and wants to play between 6-9 online co-op tonight?

Anyone for 1-5pm today?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • After getting stuck on the hype train at the last minute, I caved and am very much enjoying this.

Am up to level 5 I think. Blaze all the way, she was my girl when I rinsed SoR on GG back in the day (the only one I had).
    Spoiler:
  • Unless I'm mistaken the original score contains some Master System version of classic tunes. Enjoying the alternate soundtrack immensely.
  • There are definitely some throwbacks in the new soundtrack. Well done, too.
  • It feels a bit randomly applied though. I switched over on stage 2 and it was the boss music from one of the MD games.

I'm not too fussed though, since the new soundtrack is so spot on.
  • The boss music fits the prison escape though. I'm giving it a pass.
  • Jesus, tried it on hardest and can't beat the stage 1 midboss. Soundtrack really picks up half way through the game. Really enjoying it. Max is shite. Proper maining Adam.
  • I assume you can unlock new character model Max, as well as SoR2 Max?
  • No, I don't think so.

This certainly feels ripe for some DLC.
  • This is great fun. Played the first 5 stages on co-op with the lad and we both loved it. I must be definitely missing the nuance of this, because it feels like a pretty straight forward button masher but is no less fun for it. The soundtrack is excellent too - so much so that Isaac (10) commented that it 'has that awesome retro game sound'.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • An updated Zan, Max and Skate would certainly be something.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Gremill wrote:
    This is great fun. Played the first 5 stages on co-op with the lad and we both loved it. I must be definitely missing the nuance of this, because it feels like a pretty straight forward button masher but is no less fun for it. The soundtrack is excellent too - so much so that Isaac (10) commented that it 'has that awesome retro game sound'.

Playing solo I'm finding yeah it's a button mashing brawler, but it's also about crowd control and knowing the attacks of each enemy type so I can engage them safely.

Can't wait to get back to it this eve.
  • Gremill wrote:
    This is great fun. Played the first 5 stages on co-op with the lad and we both loved it. I must be definitely missing the nuance of this, because it feels like a pretty straight forward button masher but is no less fun for it. The soundtrack is excellent too - so much so that Isaac (10) commented that it 'has that awesome retro game sound'.

At it's heart it always will be a button masher but there's 2 kind of things I feel it does better than most. The first in how the enemies move and attack is quite distinct and means that a certain degree of crowd control and enemy targeting is needed. There's a nack (albeit not a deep one) in knowing which enemy you take down first. I think this was always something that the SOR series had over similar games like Final Fight, Punisher, Turtles. They all have it to a certain extent but I think SoR has always done it much better.

The second thing is the score - button mashing is fine, but you can start to create some really good chains in this by working out how to hit, and where you are going next. So you start looking at how you can keep chaining and this means working out to best way to safetly move from enemy to enemy (or as works best for me, rounding them into one spot so one punch s hitting 3 enemies etc.)

I think they've done a great job with this to be honest. Looks great, feels good and the length seems about right (I'd actually go a bit shorter myself) But there seems potential in the engine to introduce more defence options as well as movement options (a standard block probably wouldn't suit but maybe a parry attack? Or the grab move from Super Double Dragon on the snes) so hopefully we get a SoR 5 thats not so much bigger in level size but bigger in complexity and score attack.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Most importantly, the tactical mashing of buttons is fun.
  • Most importantly, the tactical mashing of buttons is fun.

Gamertag: gremill
  • I dunno - I also enjoyed the timing of charging the attack button and hitting a group of thugs with the swift one-two kick

Also Axels standing Jump attack with its knee then foot double hit if timed right - chef kiss, right there.
    SFV - reddave360
  • And you're an actual chef, right? Legit.
  • Would like the vertical roll from SoR3 to be added.

Yeah, if they don't add every previous playable character, plus some of the new characters as DLC, with some new stages, they'll have missed a good opportunity.

Suppose it'll depend on if it sells well enough.
  • Would like the vertical roll from SoR3 to be added. Yeah, if they don't add every previous playable character, plus some of the new characters as DLC, with some new stages, they'll have missed a good opportunity. Suppose it'll depend on if it sells well enough.

Surely that would also be the best way to monetize it being on game pass from the get-go?
    nick_md wrote:
    And you're an actual chef, right? Legit.

I like to think I'm an actual kisser too.
    SFV - reddave360
  • They'll probably several DLC updates already either done or well into development. Or crunching to do them now they've seen the positive vibes, one of those.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!