Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
  • hunk wrote:
    SoR remake 5.1
    As kindof an anniversary compilation it just works.

If you still have your OG xbox you can download this to that too!

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • SOR4 needs to come out swinging with a banging version of the intro music if it wants a full [10] from me.
  • Controversial Take - SoR3 is far easier and better to play nowadays than SoR2 due to the dash and roll making movement feel far, far better.

No doubt SoR2 was the pinnacle in most ways, but going from 3 back to 2 you don't half feel slow.
  • Bare Knuckle 3 (for full uncensored homoeroticism) is definitely a better game to play, but the new character was shite, and the music is worse than 2.

SoR3 has the hideous colours for the characters too. At least BK3 has the classic colours.
  • Zan can get to fuck, for sure.
  • The regional differences didn't make much sense either. The west got a terminator/RoboCop like plot while Japan got a nuclear terrorism threat story beat. They fucked up the difficulty curve for the west too.
    All in all 3 plays better than 2 because of the expanded moveset but it doesn't feel significantly better to play. The color palette looks worse and the ost feels a bit too abstract. A case of three steps forward and two steps back.
    The territorial changes must've eaten into the budget which at one point ran out. SoR3/BK3 feels a bit rushed to market. Especially Zan looks and feels underdeveloped. Not a bad game, just not as great as it's predecessor.

What I expect from 4? A fully developed and expanded combat system with combo's, supers, coop moves, blocks, reversals, slams, counters and the likes. Og characters, levels, and a banging ost should be the icing on top.

Beat 'em ups are not about difficulty, they're about mastering controls and the combat system. Get the gameplay loop right and it should be ok.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • That's his name yeah. Utterly forgettable, and he made all weapons he picked up generic spark balls.

We lost Max for that cunt.

Also "Grand Uppah!" was changed to "Bare Knuckle!"
  • I never played 3 that much because it didn't click, but I'm pretty sure 4 feels more like 2 to play.

You can expect pretty much the same move set from 2 with a few additions and some smart tactical mechanics. It's not a big departure, but there's plenty there in terms of maintaining combos and score building for the replay value.
  • Ah here, why is online co-op only two players?

I'll play locally with the kids, but want to play online with a few mates.
  • No doubt SoR2 was the pinnacle in most ways, but going from 3 back to 2 you don't half feel slow.

Favourite thing about SoR2 - after attempting a no-extra-coin run on hardest mode with Axl, getting so close but fucking it up (probably getting hit by some no-mark Galsia just before the health meat pick-up), there was nothing more satisfying than going in on easy mode with Max and just beating the crap out of everyone on the first level, lumbering slow oaf that he was he could rip those Galsias, Signals and Donovans to shreds
  • 2 has always been the best, but 3 plays very well in many ways, coming back to it now. Characters having more special weapon dependent moves is great, the move set generally is very strong.  Bosses aren't as good but the biggest issues are the weaker roster, the weaker stages, and the weaker music.

The run and roll were certainly good additions though.
  • My god though, the intro music to the first game. <3
  • Think Max is the speedrunners choice for best times.
  • Think Max is the speedrunners choice for best times.

No doubt. His crush hold move had area of effect FFS! Then his ability to land effectively powerful punches both in front and behind of him in his sequence made clearing the areas of lesser goons effortlessly fast
  • His shoulder charge is, like, the greatest thing ever.
  • My god though, the intro music to the first game. <3
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This afternoon's listening sorted.

72FwvCD.jpg
  • His shoulder charge is, like, the greatest thing ever.

Ahaha the first time I realised it dealt block damage, and destroyed abadede good times
  • We lost Max for that cunt.

Bit rude for a sig but I'm tempted.
  • Ah here, why is online co-op only two players?

Chopper engages Irish Mammy mode
    SFV - reddave360
  • Funkstain wrote:
    His shoulder charge is, like, the greatest thing ever.
    Ahaha the first time I realised it dealt block damage, and destroyed abadede good times
    That was the trick - Catch an enemy - or enemies - at the right time with that move and you just deleted their health bar.
  • Just replayed SoR remake. Brilliant homebrew, it's that good.
    Sega are idiots for not picking up on this. They should've hired those guys and rereleased it for pc, mobile and consoles. Tweak it here and there, add some 4player netplay coop and you would have a nice anniversary ed. release. Gameplay still holds up and would sell by the bucketload for a tenner.
  • hunk wrote:
    Just replayed SoR remake. Brilliant homebrew, it's that good.
    Sega are idiots for not picking up on this. They should've hired those guys and rereleased it for pc, mobile and consoles. Tweak it here and there, add some 4player netplay coop and you would have a nice anniversary ed. release. Gameplay still holds up and would sell by the bucketload for a tenner.

Yeah, it's a great package. I find it too long (too much of a good thing) but that's an easy fix.
    SFV - reddave360
  • A SoR mania ed as a precursor to SoR4 if you will. Sega's mismanagement of classic IP is heartbreaking. Let's hope SoR4 delivers the goods.
  • Struggling to think of a game I could possibly want more right now. Only a new Mario Golf is getting anywhere close to it.
  • I'd be well up for a Big Break videogame.
  • In Games I Want To Have A Sequel, SoR is absolutely top 5.

Outrun, Power Stone, Ridge Racer, Virtua Tennis would round it out.

TWO DAYS
  • Now can't get the Big Break theme tune out my head, what a fingerwagger

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!