Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you done the xbox TV calibration? I always found that produced a really good picture.
  • How long did I spend trying to calibrate HDR on the Xbox when the OG Bone doesn't even support it? Too long. Fucking lel. Other than that the TV is marvelous. I've had a squint for some recommended settings but found nowt so far for this set, what are you using Syph?

Honestly, I'm changing my preference from piece of content to content. If you have a Dolby Vision/HDR piece of content, the presets will change from those on SD/HD content. I have used the Film Makers mode on HD content for films, and the Standard mode too. There's a HDR mode to enhance basic HD content too.

Beyond testing the presets and finding your groove - all I'd recommend is that you turn off the local dimming option, as it doesn't really work due to the panel being edge lit and there's a lot of light bleed.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Aye, that's off and I've ran the calibration on the Xbox. Sharpness seems to be the only one I'm fucking with, everything else is spot on. I'm not switching between presets either, it'll only be used for gaming so I'm dodging that one.
  • Mine's the living room tv, so it gets lots of different uses. I'm looking forward to running a Series X through it. I suspect it will be a fundamentally different experience to my PS4 on a 1080p panel.
  • How long did I spend trying to calibrate HDR on the Xbox when the OG Bone doesn't even support it?

Hahahaha, excellent.
  • Aye, that's off and I've ran the calibration on the Xbox. Sharpness seems to be the only one I'm fucking with, everything else is spot on. I'm not switching between presets either, it'll only be used for gaming so I'm dodging that one.
    one thing i picked up (apologies if you and everyone else already know this) when going through all this setting up my TV is that sharpness is a bit of a misnomer and really means 'edge detection', and turning it up is actually a worse/falser picture. so better to get it lower for a more natural picture
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Aye. Turning up sharpness exaggerates artefacts when you’re streaming lower quality stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was bugging me because it didn't seem to make much difference between games/settings.

Brightness and contrast were a doddle with obvious results, but sharpness was more guess work. I set it low because that was recommended and nowt looks blurry, I'll keep an eye on it but I'm as happy as a pig in shite to be honest.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    For those of you that have been eyeing up the LGCX 48” Sevenoaks have a voucher code deal on at the moment with £100 off and the free headphones so down to £1,399.

http://sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-50326-lg-cx-series-oled48cx5lc-48-4k-smart-uhd-oled-tv.aspx

This does mean you could get the 55” for £1,299 which is a great deal.

Had great service from this company. Replaced my dodgy set no problem and also knocked money and gave me the free headphones as that deal came in just after I bought. They also do a 5 year warranty with the sets.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm actually sending my NANO86 back and was thinking of changing tack and looking at a 55" LG CX instead so that is food for thought.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I'm as happy as a pig in shite.
    This is the main thing. Your work is done, stop fiddling and enjoy it. ;)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm actually sending my NANO86 back and was thinking of changing tack and looking at a 55" LG CX instead so that is food for thought.

Having gone from a full array Panny that I loved I’m genuinely impressed by the pq on the LG OLED. It doesn’t get as bright as my old set, but in reasonable lighting conditions the HDR performance is overall better as there is no blooming and obviously those sweet black levels.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

What happen?!
  • Was going to ask the same thing.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Having gone from a full array Panny that I loved I’m genuinely impressed by the pq on the LG OLED. It doesn’t get as bright as my old set, but in reasonable lighting conditions the HDR performance is overall better as there is no blooming and obviously those sweet black levels.

I have a soft spot for Panasonic and I really miss the old plasma screens.

In other news my massive monitor is arriving today. I need it for coding obviuosly, not gaming. No siree.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've kept my old Panasonic plasma - it's too good to bin but also showing signs of age and hints of failing so not really fit to sell on. It's a beast, and so heavy that I'm not sure I could get it into the loft so it's currently looming large over the bedroom sat on a (fortunately sturdy) set of drawers
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Panny was just too big and heavy to keep elsewhere so gave it to my daughter and her chap and swapped for their 40” LG LED which is a great Switch telly.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

What happen?!

On paper it's because there's quite bad backlight leak in the top left and bottom right corners of the panel but also I've come from a direct-lit VA 1080p TV and I don't think an edge-lit IPS 4K TV is the right upgrade for me as it's a mix of things being better and worse than my old TV rather than a straightforward upgrade.

I actually bought my old TV for like £300-£350 five years ago expecting to ditch it for a more expensive 4K set relatively soon after once the standards settled down but it ended up not happening. It's made me realise, if I want an unambiguously better TV than my existing one rather than something basically the same but just 4K with HDMI 2.1 or something with trade-offs even then I should probably just fork out for an OLED and not try to save on a mid-range set.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:

I've heard the main downside of OLEDs is they don't reach the same peak brightness as other sets but on the other hand I have grey eyes and consequently am pretty sensitive to light so I'm not sure I want extreme brightness blaring into my eyes anyway tbh, think it is probably a good fit for me.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    For those of you that have been eyeing up the LGCX 48” Sevenoaks have a voucher code deal on at the moment with £100 off and the free headphones so down to £1,399.

http://sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p-50326-lg-cx-series-oled48cx5lc-48-4k-smart-uhd-oled-tv.aspx

This does mean you could get the 55” for £1,299 which is a great deal.

Had great service from this company. Replaced my dodgy set no problem and also knocked money and gave me the free headphones as that deal came in just after I bought. They also do a 5 year warranty with the sets.

If JL price matched that with the voucher included that would be awesome. But they wont. Which is good as i have to pay for bathrooms at mo.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    JL do have a similar offer (for the 55 anyway) at the moment but it might be a slightly different set of headphones (haven't 100% checked) and you have to jump through hoops to get a £100 JL voucher in December rather than an outright discount.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    b0r1s wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:

I've heard the main downside of OLEDs is they don't reach the same peak brightness as other sets but on the other hand I have grey eyes and consequently am pretty sensitive to light so I'm not sure I want extreme brightness blaring into my eyes anyway tbh, think it is probably a good fit for me.

It’s bright enough mate. Honestly I’ve rewatched a lot of blockbuster stuff with explosions and lights etc (Pacific Rim is the best demo) and the brightness is more than enough. Overall it’s the range of light to dark and colour range and I can’t fault the set. Apart from my first one being dodgy.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Edit never mind i read back
    PSN - minkymu
  • I can also say that a 32" monitor is not too big for desktop gaming.

*wipes tear from eye*
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've kept my old Panasonic plasma - it's too good to bin but also showing signs of age and hints of failing so not really fit to sell on. It's a beast, and so heavy that I'm not sure I could get it into the loft so it's currently looming large over the bedroom sat on a (fortunately sturdy) set of drawers

I loved my old panny plasma. It was too big so needed to go a loving badger home. He's in here somewhere :)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The bank thinks my card has been stolen by a TV buying maniac.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The bank thinks my card has been stolen by a TV buying maniac.

Have you already picked up another one? I guess it’s not a surprise if you’ve bought 2 tv’s in a week. Annoying though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Hilariously because I waited a few minutes for the restriction to clear, the order didn't go through when I tried it a second time so now I've got a massive pending payment on my account and need to check with them that they aren't going to actually charge me before I put it through again.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Did you go with Sevenoaks? If so pick up the phone. They are very good.
  • I had hassle with buying in a hurry versus banking security checks too.
    Spoiler:

What a palaver.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!