EDGE #242
  • Hey Tempy, did you get my message? Dunno if that actually worked
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I bought (DEFINITELY DIDN'T TORRENT PROMISE OK) their last one. Good five minute read.
  • I would be interested in seeing a thread about people's favourite games / hidden gems. 
    Again, I agree completely with @Kow - I would have missed out on Dark Souls if it wasn't for this forum, because I haven't been reading Edge in so long and only recently jumped back on the forum.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Who would scan and seed an Edge torrent? One of the guys on the team probably.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Who would scan and seed an Edge torrent? One of the guys on the team probably.

Its the IPad edition I think I dunno its a fucking pdf anyway.

EDIT: Oh shit, no its not, its made of paper and pretentiousness and I totally bought it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    EDGE lost me a long time ago. I think the primary reason being that they started to believe in their own self-hype and the review scores started to appear to be as much about creating a stir on the Internet as they were about the games themselves.

I wouldn't give a fuck if they went out of print tomorrow...
  • Moto70 wrote:
    EDGE lost me a long time ago. I think the primary reason being that they started to believe in their own self-hype and the review scores started to appear to be as much about creating a stir on the Internet as they were about the games themselves. I wouldn't give a fuck if they went out of print tomorrow...

They should have ditched the review scores anyway, that would be cool thing to do.
    I would care if they went out of print - but that would be hypocritical because I don't buy the mag regularly enough.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Gonzo wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    I don't think it's gone downhill. I'm just not interested anymore. I'd pay more attention to opinions here than any review.
    this. I still keep my sub, like alimony payments. I can't bring myself to ditch it. Plus it's nice to have around.
    Yeah, I'll third this. It's still a quality publication, and I do still buy it out of habit, but I really have absolutely no need for it anymore. 

More often than not it goes virtually un-read

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The iPad version looks how magazines should in the hovercar robot butler 21st century. If you went back twenty years with an iPad and an issue of Edge, you could convince the world you were a god by wielding that kind of technology. What's that thing set in ancient times and this guy who knows a solar eclipse is about to happen convinces people that he's causing it and they all bow down to him? It could be like that.

Although you'd have to have a time machine in the first place which would admittedly be more impressive than the magazine. ("I have come back in time to show you-", "Holy crap! You have a time machine?!", "Yes, and a touch screen animated issue of Edg-", "Have you gone back to dinosaur times yet?", "What? No, look, the stripes slide in on the contents pa-", "Kill Hitler!", "Ah sod it, I'm going back to the present.")
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    krs wrote:
    What's that thing set in ancient times and this guy who knows a solar eclipse is about to happen convinces people that he's causing it and they all bow down to him?

A Knight in Camelot?

Probably isn't. But it has a very similar scene with Whoopie about to be burned at the stake for being a troll.

2:15 for Whoopie burning.
  • I stopped my subscription about 6 months ago when I moved from the UK. I picked up an issue when I was back last month and it's a nice read and it's still much written much better than anything else out there, but I don't feel I'm missing anything by not having it. Now that the reviews are online it's even less of a draw. Mostly I liked reading some of the columnists and the articles dealing more with cultural theory stuff, but there's not really enough of that to make it worthwhile. I never thought the redesign worked well either.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!