regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mulligatawny Soup

Ingredients[ol]
    [li]1 tbsp olive oil[/li][li]1 small onion, chopped[/li][li]300g finely chopped vegetables  or similar[/li][li]2 tbsp Madras curry paste [/li][li]1 tbsp tomato purée[/li][li]800ml vegetable stock, hot[/li][li]250g ready-cooked basmati rice[/li][li]Plain yogurt and fresh coriander sprigs to serve[/li]
    [/ol]Method[ol]
    [li]1. Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat and sauté the onion for 5 minutes until beginning to soften. Stir in the chopped vegetables and cook for a couple of minutes, then stir through the curry paste, tomato purée and stock.[/li][li]2. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are tender. Using a stick blender, whizz the soup until smooth.[/li][li]3. Stir through the rice and simmer for 5 minutes until the rice is heated through and the flavours have combined. Season to taste, then divide between two bowls. Top each with a good dollop of yogurt and a fresh coriander sprig.[/li]
    [/ol]
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's a rubbish Muligatawny. I'll find a better one.
  • That recipe asks for a lot of [li], [/ol] and [/li] which I'm all out of. I have a lot of [/b] and [/i], will that do?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Use HTML as a substitute
  • I'm wary of British colonial recipes, apart from kedgeree, which is actually nice when done right.
  • Carrot soup. 

Onion, garlic, sliced carrots. Fry for a bit and add veg stock until soft. Blend with cold butter and reheat. It's amaze by itself but if you have some herbs chuck them in during frying.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I’m always surprised that someone hasn’t Starbucks-ed or Costa-ed the fuck out of soup.  If someone can sort the seed money of say 50 million i reckon I could sort it inside half a decade.
  • Soup is way more profitable than coffee, too.
  • Exactamundo. All these Costas and Dunkin’s and Tacos and Starbucks that are popping up on every spare bit of scrub tier land and none of them knocking out the soup. I’m telling you - sell out to Coke or Starbucks or whoever within 5 years and yer done. Everyone loves a soup. Summer Soups! Winter Soups! Festive Soups! There’s one for every occasion!
  • The secret to of its success would lie in acknowledging that soup principally exists as a vehicle for bread and butter
  • Maybe that’s the problem. Once you start knocking out the soups, you quickly realise that you need to offer bread as well. It’s only a short step from there to selling sandwiches. Then your customers expect drinks as well. Once you’re selling drinks, you need to offer hot ones. Tea and coffee. If you have tea and coffee, you’re going to need to sell cakes and pastries. Before you know it, you’re Pret. And you can’t compete with the market leader. You’re toast. Should have stuck to your guns. Should have stuck to soup.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    There's always money in the soup shack.
  • There used to be a place in Milton Keynes called Absolutely Souper that perfectly fit the above.

I think you need some serious marketing grunt to overcome the image of cheap home comfort.
  • Soup is overrated
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Hitler was a bit fan of soup, just saying.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Soup is the last thing I’d choose on any menu you put in front of me.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Well, if its a place selling soup exclusively.....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Then I’d probably visit it about as often as I visit a butcher’s.
  • While we are on the fast food type restaurant ideas I used to have a concept for a subway type pie shop.

You would pick your pastry type which would be 90% precooked cases, mix and match lids if your like maybe have cheese topped lids for an extra quid or whatever.
    Then pick your meat, veg and gravy/sauce (doner meat and sweet chilli please).

Here is the USP though. The case would drop into a little cast iron, heated holder, then put the lid on. Then the member of staff would pull down a giant cast iron lever (talking 6ft tall here, I want people reaching for it) that clamps the lid in place like a giant tortilla press. That heats and seals the pie. Pop it out and serve. Upsell with mash, or better some kind of "mash bar" that is basically a big croquette.

People would flock for the theatre of the pie press.
  • I reckon there’s a market for omelette rice they do in Japan. Do something similar - choose your rice flavour and sauce topping.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    While we are on the fast food type restaurant ideas I used to have a concept for a subway type pie shop. You would pick your pastry type which would be 90% precooked cases, mix and match lids if your like maybe have cheese topped lids for an extra quid or whatever. Then pick your meat, veg and gravy/sauce (doner meat and sweet chilli please). Here is the USP though. The case would drop into a little cast iron, heated holder, then put the lid on. Then the member of staff would pull down a giant cast iron lever (talking 6ft tall here, I want people reaching for it) that clamps the lid in place like a giant tortilla press. That heats and seals the pie. Pop it out and serve. Upsell with mash, or better some kind of "mash bar" that is basically a big croquette.   People would flock for the theatre of the pie press.

Elijah Wood is a pie lover. Reckon he'd be into your pie press.
  • I want Reynolds or higher.
  • I reckon there’s a market for omelette rice they do in Japan. Do something similar - choose your rice flavour and sauce topping.

LL Cool J puts peppers and spinach into an egg white omelette.
  • I’d want gwyneth Paltrow involved in the marketing. The rice bit might be a problem but we’ll say it’s some kind of earth rice with healing properties.

Oh I didn’t realise LL was an expert. Maybe him then.
  • I’d want gwyneth Paltrow involved in the marketing. The rice bit might be a problem but we’ll say it’s some kind of earth rice with healing properties.

Oh I didn’t realise LL was an expert. Maybe him then.

"This pie smells like my vagina"
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian wrote:

Woudln't you normally choose it first, as a starter and not a dessert?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've always said I could probably make a fortune opening a gourmet roll n square sausage joint in shoreditch. If I can be charged a fortune for a simple burger then I can turn the tables using the food of my homeland.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

Woudln't you normally choose it first, as a starter and not a dessert?

No.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's an amazing soup place in Edinburgh called Union of Genius.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!