The Greatest Hit 2.0 - Songs with punctuation marks in the title
  • I have a lot of love for Kate Bush, but I don’t think I can forgive her for the existence of Florence Welch.
  • poprock wrote:
    I have a lot of love for Kate Bush, but I don’t think I can forgive her for the existence of Florence Welch.

Yeah this and all her imitators are a problem.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Her category being crimes against popular music...

It was the 80s. Popular music was, itself, criminal.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Her category being crimes against popular music...
    It was the 80s. Popular music was, itself, criminal.
    I dunno Yoss, we hear that statement a lot, but there was a lot of brilliant pop music throughout the 80s. Been listening to a lot of stuff from that decade in recent months, and it's no worse than any other period in music really. It gets a bad rap, but it's mostly unwarranted imo.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • ...except for Kate Bush. She was terrible.
  • Brooks wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I have a lot of love for Kate Bush, but I don’t think I can forgive her for the existence of Florence Welch.

Tori Amos was alright, but suffered from a lack of quality control.
  • I was just about to post something very similar.
  • "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm not a huge Kate Bush fan but I do like some of her stuff and the fact that she is original. And slightly bonkers.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I watch all this guys stuff (thanks to temps for the rec on here one day long ago) and this is a good Kate Bush vid:

I respect the shit out of her as an artist and what she'll have likely had to went through so young in that industry. To do it all the way she did took balls. But, if you'd ask me for something I enjoy outside of the big hitters, I'd be lost. Fair play to her/fans but.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    poprock wrote:

Except Alan.

Best thing Coogan's ever done because he had to one-take it.
  • Apparently Kate Bush is doing an extremely rare interview on Radio 4 (Woman’s Hour) at 10am tomorrow, if anyone wants some topical listening.
  • Bush seems to be everywhere this week.  Down to Stranger Things, apparently.
  • A show I will never watch because it looks naff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bush seems to be everywhere this week.  Down to Stranger Things, apparently.

Including the top of the singles chart.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    A show I will never watch because it looks naff.

A lot of the time it's not. S1 still peak, followed by 3 for me.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Talking of, I meant to say a track I linked to a while back — https://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/comment/2094661#Comment_2094661 — featured in Steve and Robin's videoshop.

That's some quality '80s digging!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    A show I will never watch because it looks naff.

The contrarian in me takes this line without even seeing anything about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • New topic:

Tracks/artists you discovered while watching a film or TV series (or a slowmo b&w car ad.  Or a moody game trailer the shows Marcus Fenix cupping his helmet etc.)  An individual track that got your juices flowing and led to further listening once you found out what it was, perhaps.
  • ooo, an excuse to post some Kate Bush tracks! ;)

(also not really, I was listening to her stuff long before Stranger Things came along)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Latest entry in this genre is this sublime ditty, sometimes used as outro music on vids by a young youtube creator whose stuff I enjoy. Typed the lyrics into YT and came up with this...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    New topic: Tracks/artists you discovered while watching a film or TV series (or a slowmo b&w car ad.  Or a moody game trailer the shows Marcus Fenix cupping his helmet etc.)  An individual track that got your juices flowing and led to further listening once you found out what it was, perhaps.

Guitar Hero 3 got me into the dropkick murphys. Yeah, they are pretty rubbish but at the time I downloaded a lot of GH3 extra tracks. The 3 tracks where Johnny I hardly Knew ya, Flannigans Ball and Famous for nothing. Basic rock stuff with a Boston Irish tint - perfect for work outs, running or just when you want to up the tempo. I bought 2 albums of it (that was enough)

For TV shows, most of the time I end up with a playlist instead of a specific artist - Luke Cage was good, and the Letterkenny one is great. But Walking dead was the last one I can remember where a song got me into a singular artist. I think it was season 3 or 4 and it was last pale light in the west by Ben Nichols from the album of the same name. This then led to me checking out his main band Lucero who, while patchy, had some solid rock tunes over a rack of albums and I loved Nichols vocals. Further to this, the album is based on Cormac McCarthys Blood Meridian and the link got me reading not just that book but a few more of McCarthys stuff so quite a good entry song.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The Dropkick Murphys get plenty of hate but I bet their gigs are fun. I bought an album that had Lucinda Williams on.
  • This sort of thing was much more challenging in the days before the internet was a thing.
    I remember hearing this on a late night video show back in '94 when I was at Uni in Edinburgh.

Only I missed the caption at the start of the video and had no idea what it was. Took me absolutely months to identify it and track down a copy. The upside to the story was that I discovered DJ Shadow a couple of years before he hit big with Endtroducing while searching for the Sabres track by buying random stuff that I thought might have been it. So, silver lining really.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    New topic:

Tracks/artists you discovered while watching a film or TV series (or a slowmo b&w car ad.  Or a moody game trailer the shows Marcus Fenix cupping his helmet etc.)  An individual track that got your juices flowing and led to further listening once you found out what it was, perhaps.

I do this a lot thanks to Google and Spotify. Most recent examples being:
    Kruangbin: Number 4 (from a Corona advert)

D'Angelo: Unshaken (from RDR2). I'm not usually much of a new soul fan, but he's exceptionally good.

The Meters: Hey Pocky A Way (from a montage scene in Falcon & The Winter Soldier where they fix a boat!). They're were a fucking great band - so funky.

Gamertag: gremill
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The Dropkick Murphys get plenty of hate but I bet their gigs are fun. I bought an album that had Lucinda Williams on.

Wait, no I didn't. Was thinking of Flogging Molly.
  • From War on Everyone:

From Hell or High Water:

This album from Quarry:

A1XXOEGWiYL._AC_SX522_.jpg
  • A big one.  This was used for Inside Llewyn Davis.  Was maybe in the trailer, I forget now.  As a Dylan fan this set off all sorts of klaxons as I didn't know it existed.  There's a demo and live performances out there but at the point I heard this I don't think it was widely known that there was a recording of a studio version.  I certainly didn't know until I saw the trailer anyway, and at that point I was still keeping pace with all the (official) bootlegs. Love this one:

It's missing verses and ends abruptly but might be better for it.

Edit: It was the trailer.  A great what the fuuuuck moment for me.

• There must be literally hundreds of times I've either googled lyrics, or scanned movie credits, or asked staff in a record store what's playing just now, but I'm really struggling to remember any of them now. :(

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!