Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yay, new subject!

This is the song that was in my mind when I suggested this:

TBF, it’s probably not quite as forgotten as it once was seeing as it did blow up among the TikTok kids, but it still probably deserves wider recognition.
  • tin_robot wrote:
    The problem with the fine wine question I think is that we tend not to register a band’s work in the period before we thought they were brilliant.  There are, I’m sure, loads of singers and bands where their latter work eclipses their earlier stuff, but we simply don’t notice.

Case in point - Tom Waits. Career started in the 70’s, yet the song that at least three of us picked is from the 00’s. (Though the other problem with this is what you do with people who are consistently great, but evolved their sound which arguably applies to Waits too.  See also Scott Walker - early beautiful crooning or late experimental weirdness?)

I know people who maintain that Blur have only improved (though as “Modern Life is Rubbish” was the soundtrack to my youth I struggle to agree).

Still, for me the band that’s matured best over time is probably Swans. The took the nigh on unlistenable noise in the 80s, and have gone on to craft some really fascinating, and undeniably still difficult stuff in more recent years. Playing with genres and soundscapes, while still keeping that disquieting core.

That's a really great shout - I was never a fan of Swans until I picked up some of their more recent stuff.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I still listen to Rex The Dog. Hasn't released much of anything in near 10 years, never really got massive.
    I did see him do a set at a short lived place called Matter which was at the Millenium Dome it was a 3D party put on by Mixmag so 3D glasses handed out and a special lighting and video setup. The club had big ol subs in the floor visible through glass which was cool.

Anyway a track and a remix...

• Forgotten treasures. I still listen to little known NY noise rock band CopShootCop and the album that this is taken from:

I'll always have a soft spot for XCNN, who I discovered on an industrial rock compilation (I think it was Hot Wired Monstertrux) and who's only album was very difficult to get a hold of at the time (and still is):

Both two of the most 90s looking fucking bands ever.
  • Some gems here already. Life Without Buildings are one of the best bands ever to come out of Glasgow. I was lucky to arrive in the city just as they were blowing up and got to see them play a lot.

And XC-NN had two albums, Grem. Their second one was called Lifted …
  • poprock wrote:
    Some gems here already. Life Without Buildings are one of the best bands ever to come out of Glasgow. I was lucky to arrive in the city just as they were blowing up and got to see them play a lot.

And XC-NN had two albums, Grem. Their second one was called Lifted …

I did not know that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A cover but a bloody gem..

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Screech Bats. They only have like 6 songs, but this is probably my favourite:

I discovered them the day after they broke up.
  • Red Tape were great, only had one album called Radioactivist as far as I know. Came and went in a blink of an eye. Aren't on Spotify either. Real high energy punk/metal of its time. Bought this album the same day as The Bronx first album, that was a successful trip to HMV.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    MacGowan's humour on show here.

• Hmm. Tricky topic.

I'll shout for Liar by Rollins Band.
  • This guy only released one album, in 1975.  It's pretty good, but this track is magnificent.

• bands where their best song is more than 10 years after debut

The answer to this was REM. Their first single was 1981. Out of time was released in 1991 and Automatic for the People in 1992.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Probably not forgotten but I still love that Propellerheads album that was a one-off.  >20 years now!!!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shane MacGowan's backing group, The Popes, did a one off album called Holloway Boulevard. It's a marvellous London Irish / Country / Rock thing.

• Mother Love Bone were a short-lived glam metal/grunge band.  Seattle heads will know the story (lead singer Andrew Wood died of an overdose, the bassist and rhythm guitarist went on to form Pearl Jam), but they're relatively unknown.

Album contains a handful of bangers, love the sound through a good pair of headphones. 

• Another excuse to post this film:

There are plenty of stories of tragic deaths in music, but this one cuts me up for various reasons I can't put my finger on.  Stiff drink required for anyone who watches that I reckon.  

Loved the Sunhouse album, and Gavin Clark's solo work is worth dipping into.

Even that album cover's a heartbreaker :(
  • monkey wrote:
    bands where their best song is more than 10 years after debut
    The answer to this was REM. Their first single was 1981. Out of time was released in 1991 and Automatic for the People in 1992.
    that's a great shout, this is the kind of thing I meant.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Pat Metheny recorded this accoustic session in his bedroom when he was playing with a new piece of recording hardware he got. Lovely album

• Hmm. Tricky topic.

I'll shout for Liar by Rollins Band.

Holy fuck. I've got that on CD single.
  • In a local pub while I wait for my daughter to finish creative writing club. This place always used to play notoriously bad elevator music but it's under new management....and the music is probably worse. Just had the Madge version of American Pie followed by an awful version of Everlasting Love by [someone].

We've probably had the topic before, but worst cover versions please.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nothing will prepare you for Fairytale of New York covered by Ronan Keating.

The horror.

Madonna's American Pie cover comes close though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy fuck, Ed Sheeran covered Fairytale as well.
  • That entire genre that is decent songs, normally rock but not always, slowed down and sung oh so earnestly.
    You will know these from John Lewis adverts, movie trailers and other marketing materials.

They almost always castrate the actual sentiment of the track and replace it with faux schmaltz. 

Sickening middle class, dinner party shite
  • I was going to nominate happy hardcore covers of ’80s rock songs, but I think Liv’s suggestion is even worse. He’s right.
  • Yeah Happy Hardcore covers are at least funny.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's funny because the OG Fairytale fucking sucks.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!