Let's have an argument - Argh it keeps recurring!
  • 4vlMiz8.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    2.99.../3 = 1
    1x3 = 3
    2.99...= 3

It’s the first line I can’t wrap my head around.
    Wait no it’s basic maths, I was thinking it was more complicated.
  • Bare mans using dice for singular smh.

Anyway, if you had something that weighed 2.9 something and another that weighed 3 something, on a scale the latter would tilt it slightly wouldn't it?
  • Three planes take off.

One plane is 1 plane.
    Another plane is 2.9rec planes.
    The third of the planes is 3 planes.

Which one serves dinner first?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nobody says die anymore, dice is singular and plural.

So we can do away with recurring numbers? 1.3999999 = 1.4. It will make maths much easier anyway.
  • Kow wrote:
    Nobody says die anymore, dice is singular and plural.

So we can do away with recurring numbers? 1.33333333 = 1.4. It will make maths much easier anyway.

I actually googled to check, and whilst it said it's going out of use, grammarist maintained die is correct. The die is cast!

I studied English, not maths, so in I come a-swingin'.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You can probably blame the Americans.
  • A die is a die and I will die on this hill.
  • Maybe just recognise fractions can't all be given exact decimal equivalents.

Who is in charge of maths nowadays? I'll call him/her and let him know we've come to a decision.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    1 die, 2 dead.
  • It's a good default position to take, aye.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You say tomato, I say te mato.
  • Winningest thread.
  • PnLJiJn.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe just recognise fractions can't all be given exact decimal equivalents.

Who is in charge of maths nowadays? I'll call him/her and let him know we've come to a decision.

I'm in charge and I say that all fractions can be given either a terminating decimal representation, or one that ends with a finite sequence of digits that repeats infinitely. Or ofc both, in the case we're talking about here.

It's rarely useful to write 2.99999... rather than 3. But eg 0.3333.... for a third has its users I suppose. In both cases, it means "what's the limit of this sum", so it's kinda shorthand for something sensible.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Surely .33333 etc is only equal to a third because fractions can't express the same detail as a decimal. A third isn't actually exactly the same.

But it is the exact same, given what recurring means in this context.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Kow wrote:
    Surely .33333 etc is only equal to a third because fractions can't express the same detail as a decimal. A third isn't actually exactly the same.

I would argue recurring can mean two things.
    The maths infinity meaning, fine in that scenario 0.99r = 1.
    In real world recurring relates to a level of accuracy not recordable by pour measuring device, often at that scale unimportant but not necessarily.

We werent given any context in the OG question. In fact were invited to think practically by fucking aboutr with dice.
  • I cannae get me head round too much numberwang, but I saw this the other day and thought it was an interesting example of the discontinuity between maths and physics -

• acemuzzy wrote:
    It's rarely useful to write 2.99999... rather than 3.
    If they are the same, if they equal one another, why would you need two different representations of the same 'amount'? Why do we not get rid of recurring as a Thing unless there is some manner of difference between the two?
  • I accept you are in charge now, however.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Anyway, if you had something that weighed 2.9 something and another that weighed 3 something, on a scale the latter would tilt it slightly wouldn't it?

This is true isn't it? If you had sensitive enough scales anyway.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Kow wrote:

I would argue recurring can mean two things.
    The maths infinity meaning, fine in that scenario 0.99r = 1.
    In real world recurring relates to a level of accuracy not recordable by pour measuring device, often at that scale unimportant but not necessarily.

We werent given any context in the OG question. In fact were invited to think practically by fucking aboutr with dice.

I agree the OG was... poorly phrased. Not sure I've really seen the second use, but I've only done the mathsy suffer really so happy to take your word for it. And yes, dice schmice.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Depends what the "somethings" are, surely? If the first was 0.2 and the second 0.05, then it tilts one way; if they're 0.05 and 0.2 they tilt the other. If they're 0.0999... and 0, then they would balance exactly.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    It's rarely useful to write 2.99999... rather than 3.
    If they are the same, if they equal one another, why would you need two different representations of the same 'amount'? Why do we not get rid of recurring as a Thing unless there is some manner of difference between the two?

Will there isn't an alternate form for 1/3. So you kinda need it there. And it's hard to outlaw it for 0.9999.... when it's valid for 0.3333....
  • I lack the mathematical intuition to be able to contribute much here, but from what I've read it's basically 'because infinity'.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Depends what the "somethings" are, surely? If the first was 0.2 and the second 0.05, then it tilts one way; if they're 0.05 and 0.2 they tilt the other. If they're 0.0999... and 0, then they would balance exactly.

I dunno, just saying that 2.9 is surely less than 3 if using scales. Numberwang confuses me, tbf.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    2.9 is less than 3 (by 0.1), yes. 2.99 is also less than 3 (by 0.01). 2.999... is less than 3 by 0.000...
  • Basically, it's a made up number.

The thing is all of the numbers are. The ancient romans managed fine without a 2.
  • The maths theory allows for infinitely accurate division that must be mirrored with infinite recurring numbers.

The real world (,like putting stuff on scales) isnt like that.
    If you divided something by 3 in reality you will end up with one piece eventully being bigger/heavy/longer whatever.
    Your three pieces would be...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!