Let's have an argument - Argh it keeps recurring!
  • Yes, it would fly if you had a hell of a hair dryer.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I told Elm to post that.
  • Yes, it would fly if you had a hell of a hair dryer.

Also yes, which is why wind tunnels are a thing.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I told Elm to post that.

Elmsense was tingling
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No I mean I told you what to write with my big science galaxy brain genius
  • Eating dinner right now, but after I will explain to you how
    Spoiler:
  • I don't care how it takes off, I want to know how it moves!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    What none of you are thinking about is that in this imaginary universe, resources have been wasted on a pointless conveyor belt that could have been spent on something useful like saving lives. Even if the plane manages to take off, whatever fuel source the conveyer belt uses plus any additional jet fuel required has been wasted, further damaging the already struggling eco-sphere. How many of you stopped to think whether the conveyer belt and its components were ethically sourced and manufactured, the lack of which would mean it would have been built on a foundation of human suffering? None of you, because privilege runs through your veins like blood.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Eating dinner right now, but after I will explain to you how
    Spoiler:

Is it by hot air?
  • I have an existential crisis about my carbon footprint daily
  • It must be a problem with the conveyor belt.

15cEwVQ.jpg
  • The Mythbusters question I believe states that both the conveyor and the plane are set to the plane's take off speed a key difference that makes it much easier to understand.

Let's say take off speed is 200mph. The plane is capable of applying enough power to reach 200mph despite the conveyor belt.
    The belt is going 200mph to match the plane's 200mph forward speed but the plane is actually going 400mph (200mph forwards plus 200mph to counter the conveyor belt). Its a two steps forward one step back scenario.
    Belt speed = plane speed - belt speed.

Speed isn't acceleration or thrust. Applying the same amount of thrust or acceleration that is normally required to take off on a regular runway would see the plane static. Although that is something of a paradox where the belt is equally matching the forward speed while cancelling it out.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Just watched the Mythbusters stuff.

Spoiler:
  • Its wings are still stationary relative to the air in that scenario though, even if the wheels are turning at the rate they’d need to at 400mph. Also the tyres would have burst.
  • The plane is going nowhere unless the air moving over the wings if moving sufficiently fast.  This is silly, you're all silly, and I'm going to play more Superhot now.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:

Fuck me, if that's the "answer" then it's double fuck Gurt.
  • The Mythbusters answer is a cop out surely; what if the conveyor could match the jet’s speed? You’re then into the realms of how jet engines work, and it still wouldn’t go the way they say if I’m understanding it right.

Jet engines work in a manner where acceleration builds as speed builds, sort of the other way around from a typical combustion engine. It’s to do with the compressibility of air and the fact the airflow through the turbine helps to compress the incoming air, by turning the powered compressor.

If you take off at 200mph, and the conveyor’s set to max out at 200mph, there’s almost no chance your jet will actually even get to much about 200mph (or even to it) without airflow through the engines to help with acceleration. You’re certainly not getting to 400mph, on the assumption that the conveyor’s effectively a runway’s length.
  • Also Unlikely is right
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What if Jesus was flying the plane
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Its wings are still stationary relative to the air in that scenario though, even if the wheels are turning at the rate they’d need to at 400mph. Also the tyres would have burst.

The belt is moving at 200mph. The plane is moving at 200mph the other way. The wheels are also moving at 200mph.

The plane is just providing sufficient thrust to move forwards and counter the belt. On a normal runway the same level of thrust would have the plane move at 400mph and the tyres would burst.

Instead of a conveyor belt think of it as headwind.

Its just a tricky worded question that encourages the reader to jump to the conclusion that one speed counters the other which of course it does but the plane can apply more power to overcome it.

Edit: Mythbusters used a propeller plane. It really is a wording thing more than practical.
  • Of all the
  • So the answer is that it will take off because planes work by applying thrust to the air, not through the wheels like on a car. The wheels are free spinning and provide relatively very little resistance to prevent the plane from moving forward. Conceivably if the conveyor was moving fast enough the bearings would seize up or the tires would burst, but I did specify (after a clarifying edit, oops) that -
    think of it as an engineering experiment, as the plane starts to move forward the conveyor moves backwards at the same rate of acceleration the plane would have were it on solid stationary ground.

That bit is important because if it was set to match the exact forward relative speed of the plane it could cause a feedback loop to infinity. So just imagine it as the conveyor has been programmed to match the typical acceleration of that specific plane.

The conveyor could be moving at a much much faster rate than the ground speed of the plane and the plane could still likely take off, because all the wheels are doing is keeping the plane off of the ground.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    The belt is moving at 200mph. The plane is moving at 200mph the other way. The wheels are also moving at 200mph.

How are the wheels and the plane different things?
  • Here is the practical demonstration from the lads -

The dislike ratio is wonderful.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Jesus wept.

Was he not allowed to fly it then
  • That isn't a jet plane.
  • Keep in mind that I never said the plane was being held stationary by anything, that was an assumption most of you lept to.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    That isn't a jet plane.

It doesn't matter what type of plane you use. The plane will still be able to move forward and take off in this scenario.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!