Let's have an argument - Argh it keeps recurring!
  • I'm gonna say it turns slightly clockwise while the air in the pipes is displaced by water then it holds steady maybe with a gentle rocking caused by the motor not providing perfect power.

Based on very little knowledge and stabbing the dark. The water pressure reaches and equilibrium and it becomes a slow steady drain of the pool.
  • I do have a hint. What it does when the air is being replaced by water is what it continues to do. In this way it's the same as a straw.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • It sucks.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I'm sticking with my it turns anticlockwise for now, the water rushing into the tubes pushes them in the direction of flow. Mayber.
  • I could show you g.man’s funky sprinkler if you like?
  • I'm thinking faster flow is lower pressure so if all the water is stationary except for the water flowing into the nozzles won't that faster flow cause a low pressure to pull the nozzles clockwise?
    You rang.....
  • Here's a thought.

Do you even need the water in this thought experiment? How about thinking about this just using air?

Instead of a normal lawn sprinkler you pump air into the thing instead of water, and of course it acts like a normal sprinkler and turns (as per diagram) anticlockwise. Then you reverse the direction of the pump to suck instead of blow. Is this the same principle, and if it is, does it help find the answer?
  • I think it doesn't move.

Has someone actually done this and got an answer, or are we all just guessing?
  • You think it moves if you blow but doesn't move if you suck? Interesting. Yoss and Liv thought the same.
  • Of course it would move.
  • Which way?
  • Well water is different to air.
    I am starting to go down too much of an engineering route though as I did for the plane question. These things are always theoretical though.

I'm thinking about angles of piping, bearings, where and how the water is expelled.
  • I think it either goes anticlockwise or remains stationary due to flow/pressure forces balancing each other out. Not sure though and I'm still erring on the side of anticlockwise.

I'm not intimately familar enough with the physics in this instance to be able to infer much further without going and reading about this or attempting the experiment.
  • Air compresses while water does not, so that seems to be an important thing to note here.
  • I've come into this late but you got me with the plane thing Gurt, well done. I do think the phrasing of the question lead me down one path but it wasn't until watching the Mythbusters thing that I saw I had been thinking about it completely wrong anyway.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You think it moves if you blow but doesn't move if you suck? Interesting. Yoss and Liv thought the same.

My gut feeling was more based on the difference between water flowing into water and it flowing into air, but I’ve googled it now, so I know the answer.
  • @ Liv

You should assume we know nothing about bearings, angles or friction, although I should point out fluid dynamics is terrifically complicated and this will have an impact irl experiments. 

None of these things has an impact when it's blowing though do they? It will always turn anti as per diagram and normal lawn sprinkler. So why would they affect things (if they actually do) when you reverse the direction?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’ve googled it now, so I know the answer.

You're more sure than I am then.
  • Ok. So the reveal is (drum roll) ...............nobody is quite sure. Nearly all theory suggests the stationary theory is right, but experiment suggests this is not true irl. 

Fluid dynamics is so complicated the suggestion is that vortices allow for angular momentum discrepancies, which allow a turn, but the truth is nobody is quite sure. People might find this answer a cop out but I love it. The debate goes on. Maybe machine learning can find a proper answer but I like the fact it's not definitively understood.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/lh1qm/can_somebody_explain_the_feynman_sprinkler/
  • I should also point out that the stationary theory is beautiful. For those that thought the sprinkler would move towards the water due to reverse pressure, and those that thought the sprinkler would be thrown back due to the water hitting it like a riot hose, the answer is they cancel each other out.
  • Ok. So the reveal is (drum roll) ...............nobody is quite sure. Nearly all theory suggests the stationary theory is right, but experiment suggests this is not true irl. 
    /

I’m assuming backwards, but not quite the same speed, in experiments?

• The experiments don't agree with theory, but that's ok. It doesn't mean the theory is wrong intellectually, it just means the world is complicated.
  • Ideally, physics people like to deal with single sub atomic particles in a very controlled experiment.
  • It's a very interesting idea. Sadly there seems to be almost no videos of the actual experiment in water, plenty in air but that's not the question.

This is the best one I've found, it's in Russian but you can turn on auto translate subtitles -

• In that video the the sprinkler arm stays stationary apart from some slight momentary movement as the pump in turned on initially and when it is turned off.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    According to Wikipedia (and it is referenced) it theoretically shouldn’t turn, however, the design of certain setups can create a vortex where the two streams meet, and this can provide the torque required to produce a weak opposite turn.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feynman_sprinkler

Next question: why the hell am I still awake?
  • Of course it won't work you dolts! Just look at it!
  • This is too much for my pre coffee brain.

Can we just go back to deciding if games are art?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm confused that xkcd have also banned discussion of whether 0.9999.... is 1 or not. That's like not up for debate, Shirley.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!