• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    So, after deactivating several times, each time being for a longer period of time, last night I re-activated my Facebook account and, after 5 minutes, realised that place truly is no longer for me.  The last straw was taking a look at my local Tory MP's page and seeing people who live in my village thanking him for the great impact he's had in the last two years.  I wanted to respond, asking what impact that was exactly, but.... I'm too dispirited to waste my time anymore. I've finally gone all in for a full deletion of the account. x

Dont think they ever fully delete the account. i closed off my personal accouint years back, just kept one for work. A few months ago when logging in, it gave me the option to restart the personal account. So they must have the data still in place. Bastards.

Send them a request to delete the data under GDPR and they’ll delete it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Definitely an option to delete completely. It sits there for 30 days (or used to) before final deletion. Did mine 5 years ago and never looked back.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Definitely an option to delete completely. It sits there for 30 days (or used to) before final deletion. Did mine 5 years ago and never looked back.

I really want to delete mine but without it I miss out on so much of the martial arts circuits I run in

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I miss the old days of email newsletters....
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • b0r1s wrote:

Yep, don't miss it at all. I recently setup a new Twitter account after getting rid of it a few years ago, but that's also rapidly heading for the bin. I don't think insta will be far behind it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • b0r1s wrote:

OK, maybe I just suspended the account? Would like to delete it for good. Facebook such a shit app.
    SFV - reddave360
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Here you go. Their UI pattern definitely encourages people not to delete so it’s understandable if you missed it.

https://www.facebook.com/help/224562897555674
  • Cool, much appreciated. I'm guessing I fell into the trap of only temporarily dactiviting the account.

Its a bit like Amazon when you go to cancel Prime - Do you not want to not lose your benefits etc?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Deleted all my social media, beginning last year sometime and it's the best. It's not just that I don't miss it, I'm delighted it's not there. Twitter went just recently. Actually I have LinkedIn but that's purely for work related visibility and I never look at it.
  • Not all of it... ;)

x
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You have done the best thing for your mental well being @MyNamesKrisG, not to mention the time you will get back that you will have wasted looking at it.

Social media can be great but it should only be used for specified purposes and not be browsed or used as a way of passing time.

I'm going to ditch my Facebook account. 

All I'll have left is a youtube account. I find generally YT useful for reviews , how-tos and I upload my shmup videos onto it. I have a small number of subscriptions which I manage which is why having an account is useful (apart from needing one to upload).

I will retain a couple of WhatsApp family/friend groups.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My biggest social media time sink is youtube and this place.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    My biggest social media time sink is youtube and this place.

me too.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    My biggest social media time sink is youtube and this place.

me too.

Me three
  • I don't get why people call YouTube social media. Are you all in the comments section?
  • I think it’s because of the ‘like and subscribe’ mechanic.

I dunno, I struggle to think of it as social media. Feels more like broadcast to me. Maybe you have be someone who makes and uploads videos to feel like it’s more of a two-way street.
  • I mean I do that, but I still think of it more like Netflix than Facebook.
  • YouTube is public access television for the Internet age. Its ‘like’-driven algorithm ensures that commercial voices rise to prominence, but technically it’s still open to all.
  • I've never looked at or posted in a youtube comment section in my life. The use of its app on telly works wonders for that.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I will post from time to time on some videogame review channels.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I post very rarely but the direct communication to content creators definitely puts it in the social media category for me. There is a lot of Comms on popular video game posts.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The shmup community is quite small. I find myself commenting on some shmup.com members' channels.

I have also commented on some film reviews.
  • I've never looked at or posted in a youtube comment section in my life. The use of its app on telly works wonders for that.

Bingo.
  • davyK wrote:
    You have done the best thing for your mental well being @MyNamesKrisG, not to mention the time you will get back that you will have wasted looking at it.

With FB it's been a very long time coming.  Brexit was the end for me with hindsight.  In the last 5 years or so it was only used for drumming up charity stuff whenever I did a challenge, but injuries have seen to the end of that chapter.  For while, my excuse was, "Twitter for following artists, FB for following my friends", but the reality is, and always has been, I'm in actual real life touch with my real friends.  The rest are simply old contacts who I used to know and clearly never formed close friendships with to begin with.

Years ago I set up a blank account, that simply said, "I'm not here, feel free to contact me", along with my email address.  Nobody has used it, which says it all!

x
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Elon Musk sent a new letter to Twitter, saying the spam bot stuff "is a clear material breach of Twitter’s obligations under the merger agreement... Musk reserves all rights resulting therefrom, including his right not to consummate the transaction..." https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1418091/000110465922068347/tm2217761d1_ex99-o.htm

To be crystal clear: The deal is still on as of right now, but this is the first step in what could be a legal battle to negotiate a lower price, or a termination.

https://twitter.com/alexweprin/status/1533795813129916417
  • I don't get why people call YouTube social media. Are you all in the comments section?

Meant to get back to this - you're quite right it really isnt the typical social media but I think what seperates it from Netflix and normal tv is it is very much full of public generated opinion (which can be both good and bad) and it is way more interactive than normal media.  Apart from the like and subscribe part of things, its share function is very important to it. You arent likely to share a link to a netflix show or a spotify song other than usually to say to someone check this out but youtube clips are shared often as part of conversations. The content is also often not just to entertain but to engage and create some form of participation from the viewer. 

It walks the boundary between both and I guess it depends on how you use but if I was categorising I would still think of it as Social medai, even if you ignore the comments section. Which you clearly should
    SFV - reddave360
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Only a lunatic reads the comment section on Youtube. Or anything for that matter.
  • You realise this forum is one big comment section?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kow only reads his own comments, everyone else is on block
  • Kow only reads his own comments, everyone else is on block

The ultimate bubble.
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!