Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even more you can't get drawn back in by a link, cos you can't see any replies to the tweet, or the test of the thread of it's a thread. Which basically makes it seem even shitter than it seemed before
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    If a subscription fee is added for general use, I think the majority will not sign up. Musk will do a U-turn and reinstate free accounts, but introduce double the crypto and knock off product ads.
    Things can only get better.
  • You'd imagine so but as I said earlier, there's enough stupid people with money who will sign up for it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • There hasn't been enoigh stupid people with money to sign up to Blue, thats why he's thinking of this.

I cant think of any precedent for this, because its such an obviously bad idea.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There hasn't been enoigh stupid people with money to sign up to Blue, thats why he's thinking of this.

Yup.
  • Or... enough people willingly did it for blue, let's see if we make it mandatory.

I think it's a rotten idea but as a business it's not sustainable in current form either by many reports. Could be a last roll of the dice before chucking it. Maybe he is hoping for enough people to feel they would still need it over not having it all.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Or... enough people willingly did it for blue.

No, that’s not what happened at all. There are hundreds of millions of people using Twitter, Blue subs are thought to be in the hundreds of thousands.

There is no person on earth who would have said “we’ve managed to monetise a fraction of a percentage of our users. Great success!”
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Or... enough people willingly did it for blue, let's see if we make it mandatory.

Blue is bringing in around $100 million of revenue.

Last year Twitter brought in $4.7 billion in ad revenue. Thats down 60% this year.
  • It probably won't even happen. Just another Musk brain fart. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the first anyone else at Twitter has heard about it.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Or... enough people willingly did it for blue.

No, that’s not what happened at all. There are hundreds of millions of people using Twitter, Blue subs are thought to be in the hundreds of thousands.

There is no person on earth who would have said “we’ve managed to monetise a fraction of a percentage of our users. Great success!”
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Or... enough people willingly did it for blue, let's see if we make it mandatory.

Blue is bringing in around $100 million of revenue.

Last year Twitter brought in $4.7 billion in ad revenue. Thats down 60% this year.
    RedDave2 wrote:

I think it's a rotten idea but as a business it's not sustainable in current form either by many reports. Could be a last roll of the dice before chucking it. Maybe he is hoping for enough people to feel they would still need it over not having it all.

Just to clarify lads - I'm not saying it's a good idea. But when youre desperate you roll all dice. If the ad revenue has plummeted he has to look for something to replace it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Or he could look at what caused the drop in advertising revenues.
  • Put yourself in the mind of Musk, if only for a second.

He bought twitter on a sort of failed bet. He can't just run it as before but better. He had to shake it up. He's failed with every move but it turns out He really likes getting ass licked on twitter by his fan base, which I reckon only got more Lickey after the purchase. He has a crap ton of money. Maybe he can downsize it, keep his place as king of the twits and run it on a lower budget.

SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Running it as before but better would absolutely have been an option if he hadn’t loaded the company with debt. Twitter did break even in 2018 or 2019, somewhere around there. There wasn’t that great of a gulf to sustainability in the grand scheme of things, but Musk decided to chuck all of that out of the window, take on a shitload of debt and try and pursue his own daft ideas about everything apps rather than try to work with what was actually there.
  • Not arguing with you yoss. Just saying Elons ego meant he (just special old Elon) could not just run twitter as the norm but maybe tightened up. He had to wow his fanbase by firing everyone. By passing off the advertisers. By adding pointless paid for blue ticks.

He was the new manager who comes into a new team and instead of carrying on whats worked tries to put his "stamp" on things.

He is 1990s Graeme Souness at Liverpool.
    SFV - reddave360
  • You've got to ask, where is Pogba in all this?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bluesky claiming its largest increase in users in a day yesterday. User base apparently increased 5% in 24 hours.
  • And yet most media outlets are still quoting "x, formerly twitter"
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Of course they are. It’s a big bump but still a comparatively small number.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A fair few pretty big UK Twitter accounts moved over to Bluesky yesterday, and I found a Chrome extension (Sky Follower Bridge) that scans through your Twitter follows and searches for Bluesky matches (I’ve followed a few of you).

It’s starting to feel like my pre-Musk Twitter but quieter rather than a Twitter-alike that’s filled almost exclusively with shitposters and furries.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Musk has rolled back on the idea of charging for Twitter. The weird part is, he’s done it by agreeing with a community note that completely misrepresents what he said in the first place. The note even contains a link to the source where he said it and provides a time stamp which takes you to the point at which Musk very clearly states that he is “moving towards having a small monthly payment for use of the X system”.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1704459036547059852?s=46&t=ytBBvfWSFESSY4uJ7hjoSA
  • Yeah, I just listened to it. It has the usual Musk problem that he rambles on semi coherently, but the note definitely doesn't support what he said.

Lol, went back to transcribe it, and the video is just buffering forever.
  • Okay so back to his public support of Brand, then.
  • poprock wrote:
    Anyone want a Bluesky invitation?
    i'll take one please if still going?

i'm sure twitter will ultimately be fine for what musk needs of it, even if only 10% of current users stay on and pay, that will prob make it profitable (once other costs are reduced) and a happy echo chamber for musk.

but it's deffo shitter than ever. i still log in most days, but where it used to a good way to get a sense of what's going on in the world and follow some interesting people, now i basically just check the #nufc hashtag before and after games to enjoy the ridiculous takes (in between the spambot ads for buying drugs)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    Anyone want a Bluesky invitation?
    i'll take one please if still going?

I've got 2 going, if Pop can't sort you anymore.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve actually started posting on Bluesky, which I never did on Twitter. It feels small enough and friendly enough to dip my toe in.

Now to order a fursuit purely to garner likes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I would like a Bluesky invite if anyone has one please?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye wrote:

Sent you a message, check your DMs.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:

Sent you a message, check your DMs.

Thank you! Really appreciated.

I’ve changed to my regular handle as adrianongaming was my defunct blog handle that I had to keep using because evilredeye was taken on Twitter.

https://bsky.app/profile/evilredeye.bsky.social
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I've got two invites going if anyone wants them. Using my Tabletop handle if I've just followed you and your wondering who it is. BLock away..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This is me, in case anyone was wondering:

https://bsky.app/profile/afindlay.bsky.social

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!