I Fucking Rate This Bit
  • mk64 wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    It’s called a crossover.
    Isn’t it a crossup?

Goddamn yeah!  Thanks for reminding me!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Gremill wrote:
    Goldeneye, the first time you used the sniper rifle was a revelation to me.
    Playing Grand Theft Auto 3 for the first time.
    Halo - teaming up with some Marines in Warthogs and tearing up the hill towards the covenant with the music kicking in.

Quoted in case lost in page turn
  • Chrono Trigger: the trial.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’ve got a terrible memory for stuff like this but...

Halo The Silent Cartographer as you look out the back of the drop ship as you swing around the island and touchdown. At the time I’m sure I was basically playing Aliens: The Game.

Ocarina of Time the opening sequence as Navi flies through the beginning level but then even more impressive when you get out onto the open plain with Epona. Nothing at the time had that feeling of scale and freedom.

Shenmue the first game to make me miss the world when I got to finish it. After days of doing crappy jobs I had a real sense of “well what do I do now” when the game ended.
  • My memory is awful for this sort of thing. But Ill give it a whirl.

Getting the hang of combat in Fallen Order was great. Deflecting blasters, running in and taking down the baddies with some modicum of skill is awesome.

Getting in the zone on a driving game and just ploughing through a track. Last serious time I put into a driving game was Gran Turismo. The original I think.....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Modern Warfare, when the nuke goes off. Its not gonna go off, we'll sort it out, nope it goes off. Your protagonist dies.

Half life, in the vents, when you hear the marines arrive by chopper for the first time. Brown pants time.

Psycho Mantis breaking the fourth wall in MGS. That was wtf?!?
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Shenmue the first game to make me miss the world when I got to finish it. After days of doing crappy jobs I had a real sense of “well what do I do now” when the game ended.

I got the same feeling with Witcher 3, a real sense of loss that I wouldn't be engaging with the game in quite the same way again.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • This one might be just me, as I may have missed something during the game, but...

OG Tomb Raider, PS1. There was a bit where you just start climbing and platforming around some walls and stone bits etc. You eventually reach the top, the camera pans out... and you’re on top of a fucking Sphinx!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Parodius 2 (aka Fantastic Journey).

Level 3 is a fast hori-scrolling level ..... the William Tell overture kicks in at the start and plays throughout.

First experienced this on the Saturn - when that music kicked in - first time I felt that the next gen of game music had arrived at home.

Ocarina of Time

Completing the Deku Tree and then first venturing out into that open plain.

Mario 64

Beating the first boss and the game's camera spirals up showing the whole level.

F-Zero X

Discovering the genius of the single energy bar for speed/shield and then seeing your rival highlighted on the track from the 2nd race on in each cup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Getting in the zone on a driving game and just ploughing through a track. Last serious time I put into a driving game was Gran Turismo. The original I think.....

I can attest to this especially time trialling. Some of the Forum TT's Forza 5, Forza Horizon 3 and Driveclub have been some of my most satisfying gaming achievements for me. Just sneaking over the line ahead of a friends ghost I find utterly compelling.

Some of the times this forum set on FH3 were in the global top 10 which was astounding at the time.

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Witch time in bayonetta.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    The 4th vignette you see in Obra Dinn.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • The escape part in the final level of Bucky O'Hare, nes.

Any prolonged pogo bit in Duck Tales / Shovel Knight.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    nick_md wrote:

Hell yeah
  • Subbax wrote:

Which one is that? Spoilers obvs.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Hell yeah

• The plotline and the final scene of the Overlord DLC for Mass Effect 2. 

The bit where you play Dungeons and Dragons in Life is Strange: Before the Storm

The entire school play from Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Any time you get Snecko Eye

Any time you get Dead Branch

The entirety of Obra Dinn

The whole of The House Abandon

P.T Demo being the only game causing me to involuntarily throw my controller and making me never want to go back and finish it (will obvs save my PS4 with it on the HDD for retirement funds)

THAT section of dialogue from the end of MGS2 when Kojima somehow predicts internet echo chambers and the damage they might cause.

Triple Triad from FFVIII

The end sequence of FFVIII when Squall's memory is fucked from overusing Guardian Forces throughout the entire game and you just watch his stream of consciousness where the faces just fade out to black and everything looks wrong as he tries and fails to remember events from earlier in the game correctly.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Gears of War, escalation map, 1v4 shotty clutch
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Many moments from Gears mp qualify for this list I think.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Getting in the zone on Trials and just bossing run after run.

Blands 2 campaign as Gunzerker is perfection.

Spending ages on an FM tactic then testing it and seeing it works beautifully.

Clutching a Spire run when it seems to be dying.

That bit in Spec Ops.

The first hour or two of Resi 7 before it turns to absolute shit.

Super Metroid Lower Norfair music.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The Chernobyl mission in COD4. I know you can see all the seams and sellotape now, but at the time it absolutely blew my mind.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    CoD4 as a whole is basically the absolute pinnacle of all those broseph realistic military shooters.

Such a good fuckin game.
  • It was all downhill for them after that IMO.
  • I remember finding the secret intel cases or whatever in CoD4, which if you collected enough would give you slow-mo abilities, infinite ammo etc. If you paired infinite ammo with the rocket launcher it would turn into an automatic, just mental. The sequel did away with all that which I thought was a bit tragic, absolute pish compared to 4.

Also 4 was one of the rare shooters that was a solid 60 FPS on the old consoles, which I believe is a large part of why it was so enduring and fun to play.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    CoD4 as a whole is basically the absolute pinnacle of all those broseph realistic military shooters.

Such a good fuckin game.

I've got a soft spot for Spec Ops in MW2 but aye, 4 was the whole package. Can't even count up the hours I spent in MP with people from the old forum. You could jump on at any point and you had forumites playing it.

The opening Tanker escape is still a banger too, as it is coming down. And also I rate getting a banging time on the training thing. Getting that down to just muscle movements was sheer fightmans.

Also getting the Mile High Club cheevo might be up there in all time moments.

Also 4 was one of the rare shooters that was a solid 60 FPS on the old consoles, which I believe is a large part of why it was so enduring and fun to play.

Played through it on PS3 before it had to get boxed up and into the attic to make way for baby. It still felt an absolute dream.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Which one is that? Spoilers obvs.

It's the first time
    Spoiler:

I also can't stop listening to the soundtrack.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    CoD4 as a whole is basically the absolute pinnacle of all those broseph realistic military shooters. Such a good fuckin game.
    I've got a soft spot for Spec Ops in MW2 but aye, 4 was the whole package. Can't even count up the hours I spent in MP with people from the old forum. You could jump on at any point and you had forumites playing it. The opening Tanker escape is still a banger too, as it is coming down. And also I rate getting a banging time on the training thing. Getting that down to just muscle movements was sheer fightmans. Also getting the Mile High Club cheevo might be up there in all time moments.
    Played through it on PS3 before it had to get boxed up and into the attic to make way for baby. It still felt an absolute dream.
    Agreed. So many good memories.

I stumbled across the Vacant map in Warzone and had a proper nostalgia wave hit me.  I ran around the whole thing a good few times.
  • Clutching a Spire run when it seems to be dying.
    That bit in Spec Ops.
     Super Metroid Lower Norfair music.

These.
  • Resi 4 has many moments worthy of this thread.
  • Oh hell yeah. My two faves were the lake bit and also Mendez. What a fight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!