Is there one game the entire forum has played and thinks it is great? We have a winner Mario Kart!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ok I’m 9 mins too late.

Once again we are each other's my mans.
  • Gotta be tetris or super mario 64 surely
    PSN - minkymu
  • Ohhhhh rhythm games.....

Parapa the rapper

I also count dj hero 2 in that group
    PSN - minkymu
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I haven't played Thumper.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I mean, you’re an outlier on Tetris, Dino. Fucking Tetris.

Lol
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I haven't played Thumper.
    It's ass.
  • Iidx is the Tetris of rhythm games but it's fucking impenetrable when starting.
  • I bounced of thumper after a session or so, I like what it's doing but I'm too addicted to my main fix.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Pistol Whip wins at rhythm games.

Which also reminds me of:

Point Blank.
  • I've been through this thread and these are the ones still left standing that I can go along with. Might have missed some, some might have been slagged off previously.  

Portal
    Lemmings on Amiga
    Worms
    Plants V Zombies
    Rez
    Geometry Wars
    Revenge of Shinobi
    Gears 
    Super Metroid
    Micro Machines
  • Shouldn't sf2 be on that list?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Pistol Whip wins at rhythm games.

Which also reminds me of:

Point Blank.

Point Blank is a great shout.

I need to try pistol whip. I enjoyed beat sabre too. The random factor of iidx injects just so much life tho, every time you play a song, it's a different pattern yet also the same rhythmically, endless replayability that makes you more fluent with the game.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I tell you what was good, and free, and good.

Hexic on the 360.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Gears - played a bit of the first and dropped it quite quickly
    Super Metroid - not played it
  • Lemmings was great. As was Bubble Bobble. As was supercars 2 and Escape from the planet of the robot monsters. I miss my amiga.

• I tell you what was good, and free, and good. Hexic on the 360.

Aw yeah. It was all I played for some time when I got my 360. Cos I, erm, didn’t buy any games with it.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Lifehack: it's a little known fact that you can actually tap any rhythm you like without needing to buy a game at all. This saves you wasting money on a crappy rhythm game and has the added benefit of you being able to tap along to any song you like.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Lemmings was great. As was Bubble Bobble. As was supercars 2 and Escape from the planet of the robot monsters. I miss my amiga.

Yes, thank you! I was trying to describe this game to someone a while ago and couldn't for the life of me remember the name.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Lifehack: it's a little known fact that you can actually tap any rhythm you like without needing to buy a game at all. This saves you wasting money on a crappy rhythm game and has the added benefit of you being able to tap along to any song you like.

Yeah but I can't get the latest canonical Kingdom Hearts plot by doing that so it's NO GOOD.
  • Lifehack: it's a little known fact that you can actually tap any rhythm you like without needing to buy a game at all. This saves you wasting money on a crappy rhythm game and has the added benefit of you being able to tap along to any song you like.

Lifehack: it's a well known fact that you can tap away on any hard surface (or a soft one!) and make any combination of button presses for any game or forum post entry. This saves you wasting whatever.
  • Ok that's super cunty and flippant. But the challenge in rhythm games is matching the rhythm and reading the pattern*, which often requires mastery of the controller and mechanics. Like, a fighting game, or a shotgun duel.

*This is actually the important bit. Try reading FDFD on BMS and see if it even appears possible to you, regardless of whether you think you can match the rhythm (which, you can't, like 1% of ppl who try can).
  • I took the bait, didn't I? Fair.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Ok that's super cunty and flippant. But the challenge in rhythm games is matching the rhythm and reading the pattern*, which often requires mastery of the controller and mechanics. Like, a fighting game, or a shotgun duel.

You can still do all that without the game. You can literally do it with anything you want. Invent your own controller using any combination of items you own. stationary, lighters, coins, or even a marble in a jar; the only limit is your imagination. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. 

Sure, real life won't tell you when you made a mistake, but don't you know this anyway? You hear it and feel it. And if you really need the visual cue for tapping inspiration, just watch a video of someone else playing and tap along with whatever you have to hand. 

It's a real shame these techniques don't work with other/superior game genres otherwise I'd be doing it for sure.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Ok that's super cunty and flippant. But the challenge in rhythm games is matching the rhythm and reading the pattern*, which often requires mastery of the controller and mechanics. Like, a fighting game, or a shotgun duel.

You can still do all that without the game. You can literally do it with anything you want. Invent your own controller using any combination of items you own. stationary, lighters, coins, or even a marble in a jar; the only limit is your imagination. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. 

Sure, real life won't tell you when you made a mistake, but don't you know this anyway? You hear it and feel it. And if you really need the visual cue for tapping inspiration, just watch a video of someone else playing and tap along with whatever you have to hand. 

It's a real shame these techniques don't work with other/superior game genres otherwise I'd be doing it for sure.

https://youtu.be/LIWLxiEwNfk
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Who doesn't like...

Mega Man 2
    Punch-Out!!
    Stunt Car Racer
    Road Rash
    Streets of Rage
    A Link to the Past
    Mario Kart
    Virtua Fighter
    SEGA Rally
    WipEout 2097
    Blast Corps
    Tenchu
    ICO
    Vice City
    OutRun 2

Lots of game people have said these games are good.
  • Scout wrote:
    Robocop the arcade game.

Good shout, everyone loved it.
  • Here to pop the Super Metroid bubble. I never got on with the way Samus controlled.

• You can still do all that without the game. You can literally do it with anything you want. Invent your own controller using any combination of items you own. stationary, lighters, coins, or even a marble in a jar; the only limit is your imagination. You can make it as easy or hard as you want. 

Real life tapping (and I tap or drum a rhythm with my fingers regularly enough whilst doing stuff) won't provide the challenge of learning how to read.

I said in the Rate thread one of the best 'bits' for me in these is when a previously undecipherable chart just clicks and your brain makes sense of it with your fingers doing the job without you really thinking about it - without you realising, it's been absorbing all the information every time you play and developing the required skills. I picked up djmax before Xmas and could sight read pretty much the hardest songs from the off, I've built the skill of reading little blue and white falling blocks up over many years. Reducing all rhythm games in the way you have ignores so much more about them, or the ones I enjoy anyway: pattern recognition, muscle memory development, timing, accuracy, not to mention presentation/visual stimuli.

If they're not for you then they're not for you, fair enough, but 'why don't you just tap anything irl' is a daft statement.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Here to pop the Super Metroid bubble. I never got on with the way Samus controlled.

A bad tapper blames his table.
  • Me: Mom can I play Taiko at the arcade?

Mom: We have Taiko at home.

Taiko at home: taps fingers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!