A thread for watch love
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Kojima productions limited edition seiko. Whats ludens? Is that a death standing thing? https://www.seikowatches.com/uk-en/products/astron/special/kojimaproductions_limited/

£3,000.  Eek.

I think Ludens is their icon and mascot type thing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A couple of fun interesting watches.

Screenshot-20210319-093854-Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot-20210319-093847-Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot-20210319-093839-Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot-20210319-093832-Chrome.jpg
  • I count 4 there, not 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Walking around with a multi-grand watch on my arm would freak me out.....but Wifey's hands have that much on them I suppose....

Thats the main reason i havent sunk the money thus far.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That does come into it for me. Hence if i scratch or ding my sub £200, i will be annoyed but nothing like how distressed i would get with a 5k watch for example.

Also worry is with something so expensive some might try to mug you.
  • I shouldn't have come into this thread. It's making me want to buy watches. I love the engineering if them. Although lately I've fallen out of habit of wearing them. I'll take some photos when I'm home but my most recent go to was a Pebble which luckily still works thanks to Rebble.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    That does come into it for me. Hence if i scratch or ding my sub £200, i will be annoyed but nothing like how distressed i would get with a 5k watch for example. Also worry is with something so expensive some might try to mug you.

The fact there are loads of fakes around would make be think theft wouldn't be as likely but it does have to be on one's mind. I'd me more worried about loss more than anything. If I spent that sort of money I'd be wearing it pretty much all the time - otherwise why get one unless you are a collector?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I thought the same thing for a while about carrying expensive goods, then I thought about the fact most days I was commuting through London with a satchel carrying probably 6-7k in laptop, phones, tablet, headphones, etc. That said I don't own a very expensive watch, I did treat myself to a lighter a few years back though. Love them for the same reasons I love watches, the engineering. It really does need a service to realign the lid and find a replacement filling cap. I thought about having Jamie replate it, but the patina tells a story, considering it was made in 1956 and it still lights a ciggie I'm well chuffed with it

K9jg0C0.jpg

fdNKRWJ.jpg

q0Be84Y.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    God that reminds me of a lighter my Dad had.  Looking at that I can smell the lighter fluid.
  • My dad had a similar lighter from the 60s or 70s! Wish I have kept it. :(
  • Are they the ones where you refill the oil? He used to buy some Swan brand oil or something from the local newsagents/tobacconists.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah. You probably need to buy flints for them too. I remember all that fannying around my Dad had to do. He was a pipe smoker and there was a pile of paraphernalia associated with that too.

Weird to think he was younger then me now when he started on the pipe.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dunhill rollagas, it was quite modern when it first came out as it took butane gas rather than fluid. Yes it goes through flints so bloody quickly, maybe there's a harder kind of flint I should buy instead. But yeah old Ronsons, Colibris, just wish I had my dad's box of lighters
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Love the design of that lighter.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    That does come into it for me. Hence if i scratch or ding my sub £200, i will be annoyed but nothing like how distressed i would get with a 5k watch for example.

Also worry is with something so expensive some might try to mug you.

Your average mugger would have no idea on most watches bar a rolex I suspect
    PSN - minkymu
  • Watch engineering is just amazing at times.
    PSN - minkymu
  • Ace thread. I have a lovely Raymond Weil that my wife bought me some years ago. I’ll put some pictures up later.

Genuine question - when people say that Rolex watches go up in value, is that based on sales or what they’re being told?

There’s not much in consumer products that goes up in value nowadays.

How long do you need to hold on to one for it to go up?
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Ace thread. I have a lovely Raymond Weil that my wife bought me some years ago. I’ll put some pictures up later.

Genuine question - when people say that Rolex watches go up in value, is that based on sales or what they’re being told?

There’s not much in consumer products that goes up in value nowadays.

How long do you need to hold on to one for it to go up?

If you bought a Rolex submariner in 2014 for £5,000, you could sell it now (pre covid) for £6,000-£6,500. No bank account gives you that rate of return. Alledgly since the 70s the price of stainless steel Tolex have never depreciated ever. Plus one Rolex takes 500 hours to make. Theres a waiting list of a few years for some rolex models direct from rolex themselves.

There are other brands you can invest in, though as with any investment the price can go up or down.
  • That's not much more than 3%, which could totally be achieved via banking in one form or another.

Anyhoo, I was more interested in whether you could achieve a gain, or whether this is something that people just say you can do - but they don't actually do it and therefore it's all theoretical.
  • Have a google Syph, people do invest and make gains. It comes down to of you have that spare capital and can lock it away for a number of years.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Most of the time it's just like cars though. Building relationships with dealers, getting on waiting lists early, being able to queue jump, and recognising which are more likely to appreciate
  • I really want a rolex. Im crushing in the oyster perpetual in 36mm, either blue or yellow.

It’s my 50th in June and the new jobs quadrupled my pay so maybe.....
    PSN - minkymu
  • TokyoFlash was mentioned on a previous page - I had one of their 'Pimpin' Ain't Easy' watches after previously only ever having Casio models (including a couple of DataBank versions...telephone numbers on a watch?! Whoa!).

I was mocked relentlessly for by my mates who used to love asking how many blues past blue it was...

514TfdtaoxL._AC_UX569_.jpg

Swapped it out for a 'retro' G-Shock...

gw-m5610-1.jpg

Got a Garmin Fenix 5 as my daily watch now, which I picked up whilst cycle commuting and is almost certainly too much watch for what I actually need but does look reasonably formal if necessary too...

garmin-fenix-5.jpg
  • 0870-DE1-C-A706-4200-A84-A-424-A991-DD2-CD.jpg

Phwoar
    PSN - minkymu
  • You know I nearly bought a Garmin Tactic Delta Sapphire Solar, which is the mil spec Fenix 6.

This was purely based on the jumpmaster feature, which is a parachute function for Halo or Haho jumps.

I have never parachuted

PSN - minkymu
  • Tough call that. The light blue is more unique. The yellow just works with the silver.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a super cheap Casio I got from Argos for £15. I got when I was between watches as I hate not wearing one. :)

I pop it on at weekends from time to time and it makes me smile.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The jump talk reminded me of Cpl Boddey, wish I knew what make of watch it was, but it was amazeballs. He loved jumping, was camera operator for the Red Devils a few times. But it was huge, like it dwarfed G-Shocks, but was analogue and had an altimeter in it. Obviously the altimeter would be all but useless when jumping, but super cool to have it on his watch. Best in mind this was late 90s, so the more recent trend towards huge tool watches means it might not be super big now, but them G-Shocks seemed a lot bigger back then. They've shrunk while analogues have grown
  • I think the blue rolex will be worth more tbh
    PSN - minkymu
  • cockbeard wrote:
    The jump talk reminded me of Cpl Boddey, wish I knew what make of watch it was, but it was amazeballs. He loved jumping, was camera operator for the Red Devils a few times. But it was huge, like it dwarfed G-Shocks, but was analogue and had an altimeter in it. Obviously the altimeter would be all but useless when jumping, but super cool to have it on his watch. Best in mind this was late 90s, so the more recent trend towards huge tool watches means it might not be super big now, but them G-Shocks seemed a lot bigger back then. They've shrunk while analogues have grown

Oris have a lovely range of Big crown propilots with a built in altimeter
    PSN - minkymu

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!