How does your garden grow?
  • I concentrated on that area more yesterday.  See what happens.  Shall I get lawn feed?  Just sprinkle and then water or something?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Food can help sure although if freshly laid it should have enough nutrient in the compost. the main thing is new grass sucks.

it depends on the quality of the grass rolls, it depends on how well it was laid, it depends on how long it was rolled up before being laid, it depends on the weather, the watering, the food, the subsurface, and sheer luck.

Just keep watering it, feed it occasionally, stay off it until it's established (weeks minimum), and don't expect it to look good until next year, and if your soil is anything like that of most of north east London (heavy clay) don't expect it to ever look that great
  • Funkstain wrote:
    ...if your soil is anything like that of most of north east London (heavy clay) don't expect it to ever look that great

Yeah, tru dat.  Fucking clay.  I mean, Clay Hill is round the corner from us...

Thanks, Funk.  I'll stop worrying about it and just water plenty and feed occasionally.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Could just be the amount of light the grass is getting too. We got a new lawn laid with the work we had done. Some parts are lusher than others. The patch nearest the hedge doesn't do as well.

Or it could be getting too much light. Has it been hot where you are?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That's where The Curse is strongest. 

You see, long ago before you lived in that house, there was another family. One day the youngest child was playing in the garden when they found a pinkish object sticking out of the ground. They tried to pull at it, but it was stuck to something below, so they pulled harder and eventually the item came free. 

The child took it inside to her mother, and said "mummy, mummy look what I found".

The mother turned to face her daughter and upon seeing the item she was carrying let out a scream, for her child was carrying a human toe. 

The police were called, of course, and they started to dig in the garden, searching for human remains, but none were to be found. Whatever was attached to the toe was not there. And yet, there was something curious about that garden, or rather there was *nothing* which in and of itself was curious.

No worms lived below the soil, no beetles, barely any roots, no mole tunnels. It was if the soil itself was completely barren.

That night as the girl laid in bed she lay awake wondering where the toe had come from. As she heard her mother move around downstairs she realised she had to use the bathroom. After doing so she started to walk back to her room, and that's when she saw it. Footprints on the 2nd floor hallway. 

Muddy footprints.

Clumps of clay-like soil.

The right footprint of each step missing the outline of a toe. 

The footprints lead to her room. To her door. The door which now was ever so slightly ajar. 

Downstairs, as her mother washed the dishes, a bump could be heard from upstairs, followed by what would almost sound like faint scratches - for only a matter of seconds - and finally a dull thump.

The mother turned her head and walked towards the staircase. 

She walked upstairs.

She walked up to the open bedroom door.

She saw an empty bed. She saw a bedside table covered in writhing earthworms. She saw clawmarks on the floor and walls, dozens of them , an impossible number. And she saw footprints.

Muddy footprints.

2 sets. One big, one small. Both missing a toe.

The girl was never found.

And that's why your grass won't grow properly.
  • Don’t want to lose that glorious post from Cinty or ride roughshod over everyone else’s posts but there’s only 2 reasons that turf is like that.
    Either it was on its last legs when laid - fairly unlikely but if it had been lifted from the field a good few days before, and then sat around for a while, it can happen.

More likely is you haven’t watered enough. Especially with it being the end roll and in the brightest spot then it dries out quicker than the rest. It’s also the one that needs most watering as it’s only shuttered on the one side by the other turf AND you’re most likely to inadvertently underwater here as the hose sprays.
    It hasn’t been down long enough for any soil or containments on your plot to bother it.

New turf should only ever be fed with a food that’s applied before the turf is laid and lightly raked in to the prepared bed. Do not, under any circumstances , apply surface applied food or weed and feed for a minimum of 8 weeks after it’s been installed. Ideally longer.

Tldr is you haven’t watered that bit enough. Soak it until that patch is sitting under water every evening and it should come back.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Piece of piss this gardening lark
  • THANKS UNCLE!
  • Also thanks Cinty, I will have nightmares tonight for sure.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    We had to lay out scaffold planks (flipped and moved multiple times daily) around the garden to get to move the near constant sodding sprinklers around for at least 6 weeks? 2 months?
    No foot was allowed to touch the sacred new green.

Few years down the road and it’s all now brown as shit.

*sigh gif*
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good old uncle.  :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Get Moot in to shit on your lawn.
  • Cinty, that was outstanding. Well played.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    We were also told to basically flood the bastard as well.

Trust in the Unc..
  • Warm outside but Sun not beating down... worth watering some now?  I heard shouldn't water when Sun is high/out/hot?
  • Yesterday was sunny and dry all day long, so I cut all the grass in the evening. Our garden, the paths in the meadow, the verges on our road, and then all the communal areas too - which adds up to quite a lot of grass. Three full tractor loads and three full lawnmower loads all on to the compost heaps.

And a fucking horsefly bit me on the knuckles. I look like I’ve been in a punch-up this morning, swollen knuckles a-go-go.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    I mowed the lawn front and back last Saturday.

I think that’s got it finally completely killed this year. No leafy bits and zero significant London water for the last what? 4 months? Now all a nice universal brown death.

My work here is complete..
  • Horsefly landed on my wife's face on our last holiday. She got very lucky that it didn't bite her as she swatted it away.
  • FLOWERS HAVE BLOOMED!  I must be doing something right. (Just watering!)

Also, read up on deadheading rose bushes last night.

I'll be an expert at gardening in no time!
  • Get yourself on YouTube, Elf. Mrs Poprock spent three months of furlough time watching gardeners on YouTube banging on about ‘no-dig gardening’ and now she’s genuinely brilliant at it.
  • poprock wrote:
    Get yourself on YouTube, Elf. Mrs Poprock spent three months of furlough time watching gardeners on YouTube banging on about ‘no-dig gardening’ and now she’s genuinely brilliant at it.

Can confirm the joy of Gardening YouTube. I don't even have a garden, but now know a lot about how to grow peppers in a hydroponic setup.
  • Sure, ‘peppers’
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I planted blueberries and raspberries in the soil border along the edge of the back yard. The blueberry plant has pretty much died, but the raspberry has gone mad and is producing a shit ton of fruit, and has new plants growing up beside it. Obviously raspberries are a low maintenance fruit. Pity I don't particularly like them.
  • Kow wrote:
    Get Moot in to shit on your lawn.

I could help him lay some astroturf.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Warm outside but Sun not beating down... worth watering some now?  I heard shouldn't water when Sun is high/out/hot?

You cannot really overwater a lawn. It’s far better (at this early stage) too wet than too dry. Get the thing watered whenever you have chance. If it’s hot and sunny then so be it. Better than it being all brown and dying.
  • Yesterday I harvested more new potatoes, a cabbage, some broccoli, a gazillion red onions, garlic, peas and carrots. Allotment living is the life for me I think.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I spent about an hour on Friday digging dozens of those bastards out of my lawn.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!