How does your garden grow?
  • Most of ours seem to be solitary as well - the kind that live in little holes in the ground.

We do get bumblebees as well, but fuck knows where they live. Could literally be miles away for all I know.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They live in Unlikely's house.
  • The parsley’s gone a bit nuts while I was away.

6ScNGHT.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Chimichurri every day.
  • Mmmmm, chimichurri.

This is the time of year we have all the herbs. Everything from parsley and basil to chives, thyme, fennel, tarragon, lovage … all sorts.

The asparagus has finished for the year, and the main stuff like tomatoes, onions and potatoes are ages away. So it’s all about herbs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Rigatoni (or penne) al arrabiata also calls for a huge dose of fresh parsley.
  • I use a ton of it in tartiflette. And with most white fish.
  • Random one Unc might be able to answer...
    I've a Lupin(e) that's gone to seed. I left Googling deadheading it too late and now seems to have decent looking seed pods on it. Is there anything I can do with these. Would they grow new plants? Do I need to do something or should I just leave them to nature and hope more come up next year?
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • You could collect some seeds.  Dry them out and then plant out in seed trays next year if you can be arsed.  The plant will return every year anyway and you can always divide this main plant in very late summer/early autumn or mid spring.  You divide the plant by digging it up and slicing through the root with a spade.  You can do this with all herbaceous perennials and grasses but not shrubs or trees.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What about cacti? I've got one in a little pot that's doing very well, and seems to have had babies. I think they're out growing their current home so want to split them up. Is it easy to do?
  • I have canna lily that has gone to seed; was gonna attempt taking the seeds out and germinating them but I just read up on it and it sounds like hard work, fuck that.  I should have deadheaded them earlier but man, so busy.

Orange day lillies have come out today, front yard looking nicer!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • What about cacti? I've got one in a little pot that's doing very well, and seems to have had babies. I think they're out growing their current home so want to split them up. Is it easy to do?

Yeah. Just tease them off and into new pots and you’ve loads more (free) plants.
  • Went mad today and bought so much stuff for the garden. We had a budget and had a few things earmarked from various websites but thought we'd check B&M just in case...then changed all of our plans on the spot (and saved about £800) Apart from a summer house we're still gonna spend big on.

Garden currently looks like this, but improvements are coming:

20230611-133451.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Your garden is the local dump?
  • My local dump was on fire today apparently, which is quite boring now I've typed it. That's just shit that was in the shed - some of it hasn't been touched since the 70s.
  • It's been sitting on the lawn for a month because my father in law promised he'd dump it within a couple of days. Standard stuff, mustn't grumble really because they only ever take the dumping fee. But also: grumble. I should have just paid someone else to get it gone.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Went mad today and bought so much stuff for the garden. We had a budget and had a few things earmarked from various websites but thought we'd check B&M just in case...then changed all of our plans on the spot (and saved about £800) Apart from a summer house we're still gonna spend big on. Garden currently looks like this, but improvements are coming: 20230611-133451.jpg

Hand grenades in this one?
  • The front room's in a bit of pickle for now too.

20230708-191428.jpg
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Hand grenades don't go off. Pomegranates maybe.
  • That is an impressive amount of mess. Best of luck Moot.
  • poprock wrote:
    That is an impressive amount of mess. Best of luck Moot.

Best of luck with what?! That’s how he wants it! He loves a bit of mess, our Moot does.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • One day I might dig out a photo of how the house looked in 2000ish. We didn't have hot water for two or three years.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How can I save my grape vines? They're in big pots and when I first planted them they grew gang busters. Now, all the leaves are turning yellow and dropping off, one of the vines is almost dead. Neither watering infrequently or regularly watering seems to help. They get plenty of light and warmth. It's pretty hot these days so I don't know if I should water more or not. Some guy in a shop said only water when the soil is bone dry, but they seem to be drying up along with the soil.
  • Kow wrote:
    How can I save my grape vines? They're in big pots and when I first planted them they grew gang busters. Now, all the leaves are turning yellow and dropping off, one of the vines is almost dead. Neither watering infrequently or regularly watering seems to help. They get plenty of light and warmth. It's pretty hot these days so I don't know if I should water more or not. Some guy in a shop said only water when the soil is bone dry, but they seem to be drying up along with the soil.

My vines have been in the ground against a south facing fence and have been fine even with last year's drought.
    Have you under or over fed them?
    I killed my potted tomatoes one year by accidentally over feeding them - they all turned yellow and died.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Surface soil in a pot will dry (look dry) really quick in sunny conditions, are you checking the under soil for moistness before watering?

Have you changed soil / added compost any time recently? Or fed the plants in any way?

Are the vines root bound (if you pluck the plant out of the pot can you see roots everywhere, or poking through holes in the pot)? In which case consider pottting on into a larger pot?

All I can think of, could be disease too
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Went mad today and bought so much stuff for the garden. We had a budget and had a few things earmarked from various websites but thought we'd check B&M just in case...then changed all of our plans on the spot (and saved about £800) Apart from a summer house we're still gonna spend big on.

Garden currently looks like this, but improvements are coming:

Summer houses are ace. So glad we got one a few years back. Are you building it yourself (I didn't! Put up a shed, but anything else was out of my league!)?

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • No, I want it to last more than one summer :)

We're paying extra for someone to put it up when it arrives.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Funkstain wrote:
    Surface soil in a pot will dry (look dry) really quick in sunny conditions, are you checking the under soil for moistness before watering?

Have you changed soil / added compost any time recently? Or fed the plants in any way?

Are the vines root bound (if you pluck the plant out of the pot can you see roots everywhere, or poking through holes in the pot)? In which case consider pottting on into a larger pot?

All I can think of, could be disease too

They're in the biggest pots I can manage. They've only been there less than 6 months and I haven't fed them much apart from a bit of fertilizer. I've tried watering only when very dry but it seems to get worse. The leaves are drying up, withering and falling off
  • My Lupin seeds are rattling in the pods!! I read this is time to gather them but some pods are grey while others are still fairly green. Gonna do some intense Googling to see what to do. Don't want to miss them scattering.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!