Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I'd be absolutely livid if I'd spent £70 on it to find I couldn't even save and commit to runs of 2 hours or whatever. Livid as all fook.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Will give it a read. But all it needed was a temp save option like you get on some Mario games. As soon as you restart the temp save file it vanishes. So there’s no reloading saves to retry a bit you died on etc.
    Yeah, I'm arguing against even that. Sort of.

I mean, I know it's important, but not having any kind of save is also important to what the game is trying to do.

I can understand that, I just also realise that loads of us don't always have an hour to do a single run through. I think the game maker should be given the freedom to tell their narrative in whatever way they choose. One of the reasons I argued against button mapping in games, as it affects how you interact with the game, which is another tool that the game maker can use to communicate with you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Potentially, yeah. 99% of the time it probably makes no difference, but there's always that possibility that it should be this way for X reason that isn't immediately obvious.

I don't think there's necessarily a correct answer either way, it's just one of those interesting things. And in this case, if they do add a save feature to Returnal, I'm glad I got to play it before.
  • Really good article, by the way. And I know what you mean. But it’s trying to tell my boy he can’t play Astro which kinda annoyed me. Would matter not at all if I was just playing.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Agree, nice stuff there Jon.  Hadn't considered that angle.  As someone who didn't care at all about, for example, Hades' story, might go some way to explaining why I find returnal's stuff more intriguing.

Was going to suggest they could maybe have 2 modes, one with saves, one without, but what kind of maniac would willingly play without saves?  It's probably one of those things you have to force on the player, if you think it's that important.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Actually read the piece this time, really good. I've not played the game, but it sounds like it would prompt memories of my 8bit days. SuperMarioLand was one where by the time I'd first seen the aeroplanes in World 4, I knew every single secret and shortcut in World 1, just because that's how we had to play games back then

I found my argument against button mapping in my sent emails from 2011, jeez, and funnily enough I use save states as a comparison
    Following a conversation about left and right handedness, the age old debate about user customisable controls came up. I was surprised at how many people thought it a good idea, so wanted to redress the balance.

Fully customisable control mapping? No way, bad idea. The developer decides how you interact with their vision. If a dev wants to let you change things around then fine. Vs fighters a good example where allowing full mapping works, but in many games it can encourage game breaking behaviour, either through busting immersion or allowing exploits. As much as one may claim to be an "honourable" gamer, the temptation to use save states when emulating is strong

We can quite rightly berate developers for implementing clunky or unwieldy controls, and along with other gameplay factors let that inform your buying decision. But a developer giving the user the freedom to do the wrong thing is just as bad as doing it themselves. We blame Bethesda for buggy missions, never the player for doing things in the wrong order

If we expect developers to predict what the player will do and accommodate even the strangest actions and motivations, then we can't tie their hands by removing one of the biggest tools they have. The pad is the most direct communication between dev and player, don't let the player dictate that conversation

C Beard
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Loved this boss, probably the easiest in the game, but such a great setting and score.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/28/returnal-the-making-of-that-unforgettable-hyperion-fight/
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Loved this boss, probably the easiest in the game, but such a great setting and score.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/05/28/returnal-the-making-of-that-unforgettable-hyperion-fight/

This was a great read, thanks - and yeah, like you, thought it was the easiest boss but also absolutely stunning.
  • I've hit the end credits, but not the "proper" end yet so will hold off on "what the fuck was that about?" until I've seen it all.

I'm 100% in agreement with Jon's article though. I'm not sure I would have got as much out of this if there was a save button - even if in reality it wasn't functionally much different to rest mode - psychologically it would be, and I suspect the game would have remained permanently paused somewhere in biome 3 forever.  Something about the lack of a save adds both to the momentum, and the feel of the game. The lack of the save works narratively (just another random death and rebirth for Selene), emotionally ("if I stop now I may never get a run this good again") and as a mechanic in its own right. Mechanically everything in the game is about risk Vs reward so it kind of makes sense that stopping should do to.  (I say that who had an amazing run lost to a crash.)

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people hate that there isn't one - but I also understand the decision.

As for guns...

Yeah, Hollowseeker was my weapon of choice. I would pretty much ignore anything else if I had a Hollowseeker with waves, serrated and a portal weapon or two.

That said, I don't share the Rotgland Lobber hate.  Yeah it only fires one at a time, but the rhythm for the active reload is pretty easy to hate, at which point you have an absurdly powerful gun, that keeps doing harm for a prolonged period, with a lovely bit of splash damage to take out everyone else for bonus points. Durable, explosive rot, with a portal is great fun.  (I suspect my liking for it is partly down to my tendency, especially early game, to seek cover.  It's a brilliant gun for people who like to pop out, fire a round and hide again.  However it's not so great if you just want to get out there dancing through the bullets and spray chaos.  Definitely my go-to weapon in biome 2.)

Dreadbound is fun up close, but a pain in the arse at a distance - but it's the coilspine shredder that I really didn't get on with.
  • Nice article Jon, I hadn't really thought about it like that
  • I beat the game yesterday and tried to rush through a second run to get to the secret ending. But I'm not sure I will. I've had too many goes through level 4 and I don't know if I need to actually play the game anymore.

Here's some thoughts though. This game feels like maybe 50-60 percent of what I think the developers wanted the game to be. It's kind of "lucky" that the bit they got right properly was moving around and the relationship between that and how the baddies attack you. To me this is the premium cheese of the game. The best bits are when you fight one fucker and you bounce around like a yo-yo on a master's finger. It's a lot more frantic and somehow controlled at the same time but also ridiculously fair. You feel like even with a  mm of health you have a chance which I think is a big complement.

Also having watch the (normal) ending I think I know what's happening and my thought is that all of this is nonsense being pieced together as Selene is dying in the water. It's a bit like the kid tv show "the odyssey" or  Wizard of Oz where the life of the person informs some coma state reality or something (I really liked how the last three stages mirror the part before the crash - snowy road, busted up road works and finally into the water). I'm not sure what the relationship between the split in the game is or what is going on but I think it's important that the the first level in the second half feels like a nicer version of the first level in the first half.

Where I think the game falters is in its overall structure. I'm not exactly sure why this game is a rogue like at all with so few pieces of levels. I feel like if a game is a rogue type game the main aspect of that is to make you feel vulnerable or like your exploring something. Here the pieces become over familiar so quickly you wonder what the point of rearranging them is (especially when there are some significant fixed anchors as well). Afterwards it becomes really tiring doing the same old bits and bobs and they dont even grace you with a random weapon (I don't really see the point of starting with the shitiest side arm every run? - it's such a boring hump when the first room could be trivial or a massive chaos). 

The save structure has some interesting interesting quirks which I think genuinely made me better at the game (what does this mean? better skill? or better stats management? or better at cheesing between doors? - probably a mix of all three). 

I think this game has some cracking hooks in it (I don't finish games that don't) and some of the play is wonderful. but also I think I wished the game had a few more years making it a rogue game that actually works in 3d - but I think even when the game is curated as it is it feels like the environment still gets in the way of itself so it's going to take geniuses at 3d space rather than people who are doing it for the first time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Your thought about what is happening to Selene is similar to what I thought, though in my mind I think she died and she’s in the in between state between life and death and this is how she has to pass on. 

Out of interest, what would you score it?
  • The other thing I thought was that Selene and all the people looking aliens are the same (maybe even the wolf type aliens) - so everyone is her and she is everything in the game.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Your thought about what is happening to Selene is similar to what I thought, though in my mind I think she died and she’s in the in between state between life and death and this is how she has to pass on.  Out of interest, what would you score it?

7 I think. If it was a bit shorter (ha if I was better) or a bit longer with wilder variety I think I'd give it more.
  • Reading back I'm reminded how much I like the weapons. all of them can be shit or amazing. The difference between a full auto rocket gun and a normal rocket gun is night and day, similar non serrated/portal beam hollow seeker is the difference between concentration on shooting or dodging. Very clever weapon system (I wish they were more generous with the upgrades and once you beat the game everything just is given for free).
  • I think there is something to be said for an actual cosmic horror element - that there is an Atropos where people are taken at these moments of dying guilt and stuck in a loop. But it changes based on the individual and their particular psychological hang ups. Without that, the sense of an eternal cycle is less chilling. Especially what happens at the end of act 1, where she actually returns home and lives a full life, only to end up back there.
  • That level 4 jump was awesome.
  • I've finally got round to unlocking the secret ending - though if anything it's made me even more uncertain about what's going on.  One of the things I enjoy about the game is that ambiguity.  There's a perfectly good reading that says Selene's in a fucked time loop on a mysterious alien planet, or there's the "trapped in purgatory" interpretation, a dream of a dying woman, a VR nightmare, and probably a million others. Hell, I'm still not 100% sure whether Helios is her son or her brother, or whether that's really her Mum, or a metaphor for the death of her own status as mother.  Still, here's the one I've settled on for now...  (Warning, I can't find a way to describe this without it sounding pretentious and pompous.)

Fundamentally I think it's a game about grief, guilt and healing. 

Selene's spent much of her life trying to be the astronaut her mother wanted her to be in her stead, trying to emerge from the shadow of that big white suit. (Mum was supposed to be an astronaut, but was paralysed in a car crash that Selene survived.) She's studied and worked at the expense of actually spending any time with her son. One night driving him home she is exhausted and distracted - the music on the radio reminds her of her mother, she thinks she sees something on the road, and crashes into the lake.  She survives, Helios doesn't.

The survival at the expense of her son is almost too much to bear, and so she attempts to suppress the memory rather than come to terms with it.  Pretty much the entire game is that internal battle. She is literally at war with her own sentience.  (The Sentients are, ultimately, all just her.) She has built mechanisms within her own mind designed to keep her out. Much of it is framed within elements of her and Helios's life. From his beloved squid toy, through to the framing within the videogame he used to play.

By the midpoint of the game some semblance of acceptance has kicked in.  She accepts that she will always have this sense of  guilt for the rest of her life (hence we see it, or a version of it, played out), and that attempting to suppress it is pointless - it will always return.  Rather than suppress if further she opts to instead face it in earnest, and try to examine everything that she has hitherto avoided and repressed. It means revisiting it all again, but now with different eyes.  She is stronger, but the task is harder too.  She has to unearth everything that she has so carefully hidden from herself.  She starts by accepting that her feelings are created by her, and the loop is of her making.  (She shoots down her own ship).

She starts to explore the triggers for her trauma, musical and visual cues, and starts to gradually unlock key parts of her mind - each more painful than the one before.  It is frequently too much to bear, but she keeps going, and it gets slightly easier each time.  Ultimately she finds she is able to, finally, revisit the moment of the crash.  To remember what had happened and still continue. That's the regular ending.

There's something more she needs to do though.  Firstly she needs to come to peace with her relationship with her mother, to fully accept, but also reject her, and become her own person.  Then, more difficult still, she needs to come to peace with herself.  Until now she has refused to accept the thing that is most painful of all to her.  That it was her that was responsible for the crash. Having previously blamed her mother (the astronaut figure), she finally accepts that she is responsible for the choices that led to that night.

This is a huge breakthrough, but it's not the end.  As she has already learned, it's not something that simply stops. It is a process that you have to work through repeatedly, for as long as you live, but each time, hopefully, with more confidence and more certainty than the last.

She keeps going.

Like I say, that's just today's version.  There are bits that don't quite work, and tomorrow I may decide that, actually, I prefer the cool, convoluted time looping SciFi explanation I cooked up.  But at the moment, this is the version I like -  Selene remains every bit as awesome, but her act of heroism is one we all manage to some degree - just getting through another day.
  • For me part of the “forever loop” is like Kevin spacey at the end of American beauty. At the edge of death there’s like this weird perception of time where a micro second of dream time has to feel like an infinite time because everything is just slowing asymptotically to zero.

So my feeling is that part 2 is an elongated stretch of Selene reliving her crash because she’s abandoning her mom who became crippled in her own crash. (So the first crash is the older one and the second crash is the fresher one - which is perhaps why the first zone is more crumbled)
  • Thought this might interest some people here:

• Really enjoyed that. Won't have time for a little while, but I'm getting the urge to replay Returnal.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Fantastic stuff. I'm not quite sharp enough to remember hints throughout the course of a game and piece it all together, so really enjoyed the video, as well as Tin's words above.
  • It's definitely interesting to see how various studios are trying to write for the videogame reality of constantly dying and retrying instead of just trying to write in spite of it.
  • What channel is that video from? I still can’t see video links on this phone.
  • What channel is that video from? I still can’t see video links on this phone.

Jacob Geller.

EDIT:

Maybe this will help - it's the newest vid. 

https://www.youtube.com/c/JacobGeller/videos
  • Jacob Geller is one of the best things on YouTube. Consistently brilliant content.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Great vid Cinty. Oh to go back wipe my memory and start over.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Is it full of spoilers?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!