The camping thread
  • My daughter is 9 and she also loves just camping in the garden. 

Nick, i'll put together some ideas on here and anyone else is welcome to join. 

I'll keep an eye out for any deals on things and post them in here.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Awesome, happy for you to put the leg work in MK! I wouldn't really know what to search for decent camping spots (other than 'decent camping spots') but let me know if you want me to help at all.
  • I'm going to the 'caveman site' in Orpington soon, it's been on hold because lockdown.  Would join if something else is arranged, or badgers are welcome to join me & Steve The Courier in the woods.  There's no clingfilm to poo into unless you bring it though.
  • where abouts are your woods moot?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • No-one knows except Steve.  I get off the train at Dunton Green and jump in the van, he parks up somewhere nearby and leads me into the trees.  He's usually prepped the site and prepared kindling etc, but it's just a secluded copse really, no idea why it's been revisited so many times over the years but it works for me. 

I think someone was living nearby for a bit, there was a very impressive looking hut a few hundred yards away in 2014ish.  Which became less impressive and more dilapidated each year before falling down completely, so we eventually burned it so we didn't have to bother chopping/sawing trees down to keep warm.

Edit: A few years before the hut appeared there were loads of twigs tiny wigwam things where the hut appeared, so that was the witch den obvs.  Which is where we took retroking1981 to watch The Blair Witch Project for the first time on a Blackberry.  #Funtimes
  • Steve is clearly a serial killer.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • He's a slightly eccentric ageing biker who built a scaffolding high hide and a bunker in his garden.  He sounds pretty odd on paper but he's one of my favourite people.  Plus he only kills folk if they deserve it.
  • :D
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I think someone was living nearby for a bit, there was a very impressive looking hut a few hundred yards away in 2014ish. 

I think it might have been Steve.
  • I like the sound of Steve
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Everyone loves Steve.
    I think it might have been Steve.

It can't be ruled out.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    it's just a secluded corpse really

Ruh-roh
  • Despite the risk of Steve, I'm hoping to go camping this year. Getting folk to sign up is a nightmare, mind you. Probably worried about Steve.

If I could take the thread slightly off topic, I'd really like to do some kayaking on lochs and rivers. I nearly bought a kayak during lockdown but storage and transport are an issue. I was going to get an inflatable but don't want a shitty one.  I won't be doing any white water as my shoulder couldn't take it but some light stuff on flat water would be nice.

Alpacka packrafts seem to be the best of the best but you're looking at a grand for one of them.  I recently found Anfibio which seem to be more in line with what I'd spend at the high end while not being cheap, Amazon specials.

Anyone got any experience with inflatable boats?
  • I have a river next to my house and have considered the same loads of times.  I just presume I’m going to get a puncture 20 (nautical!) miles from home.
  • The good ones are apparently pretty resilient but the cheapo, Amazon ones seem to regularly arrive at your door with a puncture already provided and need to be repaired before you even start. Not the end of the world but it's definitely more of an issue when you're out in the middle of nowhere.

That's quite off putting. Not that I'd be going to the ends of the earth with it but even being stuck at a local river could be dicey.
  • Is there a source for wild camping spots? I'm quite keen to do something over but no idea where I'd even begin to look.
  • Nick I’m looking. There aren’t many as it’s illegal so you’ve got to spot them on forums or comments on YouTube videos
  • mk64 wrote:
    Nick I’m looking. There aren’t many as it’s illegal so you’ve got to spot them on forums or comments on YouTube videos

Nice. I've two weeks off end of this month, start of July, would love to do something around then but any time is good tbh. No holiday planned this year so am up for making a camping trip my summer highlight.
  • There's a big one north of you.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Is there a source for wild camping spots? I'm quite keen to do something over but no idea where I'd even begin to look.
    https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/about-us/about-us-maps/camping-map

Here's one for Dartmoor.
  • Bought a kayak. It arrives Monday.  Just need to choose a suitably safe place to test it out.  There's a reservoir nearby that I think would be my best bet.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    There's a big one north of you.

Scotland, aye?
  • Like a child, I camped in the garden last night. I bought a half decent tent over a decade ago and never even took it out the bag.  So I figured it was due a test before using it for real.

Started by setting up the inner first before adding the fly sheet.  I soon realised that they were meant to go up together so had to start again.  But now it's done, they'll stay that way so it'll be quick to go up in future.

It's a two man so there's a fair bit of space inside. Definitely needs some sort of mattress. I was in a sleeping bag on grass and it wasn't comfortable.  Slept not too badly, though.

e4TFE4x.jpg
  • Lovely stuff. Was camping in the garden for the London snow earlier in the year, forgot to close the little window window on my side and woke up with a freezing/wet bum.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Get something like this.
    015704_grn_self_inflatable_camper_mat_ss17_01.jpg?w=500
  • Im sure there used to be a guy on here that used to do bare foot cross country marathons. Who was that mad man?
    PSN - minkymu
  • Get something like this.

I have one ordered.  I'm too old to be roughing it too much.

The last time I went camping, I was a teenager with a bunch of friends.  It was my family's tent so I set it up while they did other stuff. Once i did that, I thought I'd be fly and set the sleeping bags up so I got the best spot in the tent. After doing that, I flopped down onto my sleeping bag and found out that the spot that I'd picked was on top of a massive fucking boulder, hidden by moss. Landing ribs first, I writhed in agony while they sat a few feet away, drinking cans of Tennants, completely oblivious.
  • Definitely need some practice getting in and out but overall the first outing was a success. Now I just need to find space for my camping gear and I'm off to the races.

Nry6FAK.jpg
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    What’s the brand on your kayak Matt?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!