Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Double filth. Phwoar.
  • For me, space should be all about the exploration and not just a bethesda game set in space. Yes there are a lot of planets but it misses the mark. The thrill of scanning a planet in ED and realising no other player has been there before is pretty special. Gliding through the valleys, setting down somewhere that looks like you can explore by buggy. 

It's not for everyone but it is unique, well maybers apart from NMS. It's cold, it's silent and you feel a long way from home. Must've been pretty for the first few players that found anandoned alien settlements, or the first Thargoid encounter (which is up on YT somewhere). Less game then and more sim. I liked the mining, the space combat and the trading but the exploration was on another level.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I mean, they really didn't need to make a galaxy-sized galaxy but they did it anyway.
  • I'll admit I just wanted to blast off into space and fly to another planet really, didn't realise you couldn't until the game hit the digital shelves. No skin off my nose though, I was never likely to play it properly*, was just mildly interested in the tech in the run-up to launch.

I blasted off into space and flew to another planet in NMS and the amusingly forgotten Starlink but never actually played either of those games past the "ooooh" part. I did play, finish and love Outer Wilds though.
  • Tempy wrote:
    In other video-based vibes one of my favourite videosmn did a cool video inspired by Starfield, where he tackles the the appeal, the history, the practice, and the difficulty of representing space exploration in video games. He can usually be quite critical of stuff he thinks isn't up to muster, so I think it's interesting that he finds plenty to like about Starfield, No Man's Sky, and Elite Dangerous' varied approaches to space exploration.. before ultimately settling on the idea that maybe... just maybe, the perfect realisation of the fantasy is out of reach, but reaching for it in various ways is nevertheless a worthy pursuit.

That was excellent. He's wrong about not visting SOL in ED - you can, which I guess only validates his points about the game being confusing and brutal to learn. I'm not sure space games are an intractable problem. I should really change my sig to "Maybe AI can sort it out".
  • Must fire up SC again and see where it's at.
  • Just got to space cowboy planet. Fucking hell, it's quite on the nose.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    In other video-based vibes one of my favourite videosmn did a cool video inspired by Starfield, where he tackles the the appeal, the history, the practice, and the difficulty of representing space exploration in video games.

He can usually be quite critical of stuff he thinks isn't up to muster, so I think it's interesting that he finds plenty to like about Starfield, No Man's Sky, and Elite Dangerous' varied approaches to space exploration.. before ultimately settling on the idea that maybe... just maybe, the perfect realisation of the fantasy is out of reach, but reaching for it in various ways is nevertheless a worthy pursuit.

I liked this though. Shows how difficult it is just to set your scope for trying to do justice to such a monumental undertaking as exploring a galaxy, with the added burden of making it fun
  • Yeah it's not easy. ED is kind of mental in VR and I can see why some people thinks it's stupid. You can get a mod that'll put a monitor in the cockpit so you can watch YT vids to pass the time inbetween jumps. So you're watching a virtual telly inside a virtual cockpit with the occasional glance at the instuments to see if you're there yet. 

It sounds idiotic and it is but it has a strange ambience all on it's own. You could always flip the in game radio on and listen to the intergalactic news or if you've bought a voicepack you can chat to the computer for a bit but you're essentially a bit bored. It's almost too realistic, like having a shit job from the future. But every now and then someone will intercept you, pull you out of warp and start shooting and it's panic stations. Or you'll pass an unidentified signal and go down and take a look. In VR it can feel very like the start of Alien sometimes, the boredom, the creepiness, the in-the-middle-of-fucking-nowhereness. 

Sometimes it's genuinely terrifying and you have to remember you're in the living room. The sound design is amazing but it can get to you in VR. Maybe it's a lack of sound but when you go and look for a signal and it's been quiet for the last 20 mins it can start to freak you out a little, especially if the sun sets while you're heading there in a buggy.

There's nothing else like it and it isn't for everyone but it is for me. Just needs better headsets to really crisp up those lovely visuals.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep could see potential but on but on my Quest it just wasn't really playable due to the resolution.
  • When I was a kid, and videogames were far more BASIC (quite literally) the confines of the hardware didn't stop them from giving us really atmospheric Space games like Starglider (who remembers that one?). In my youth, I was able to 'fill in the gaps' of their limited Universes with my imagination.

But now as games get more complex and fancy, I'm no longer willing to use my imagination. I want the games to properly deliver on their fabricated Universes. So we collectively poke holes in their space-time fabric when they don't produce things that we now fully expect.

There were no doubt beaches in space in Starglider, and they were the best kind of beaches... BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE BY MY MIND!
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Finished the main quest this evening. Not sure how I feel about it all. There were some moments I loved, some that I really disliked and lots that I was a little ambivalent about. 

I think the main problem from my perspective is the delivery of the story. Whilst I overall enjoyed the story, the manner in which its delivered has aged so much since Skyrim. Then there’s the issue with characters talking to you whilst not looking at you!

Overall, enjoyed it, but I don’t feel the need to be doing all of the side quests like I did with Skyrim and Oblivion. 

I know Elder Scrolls 6 is years away, but if the devs don’t figure out a way to modernise their story delivery then it’s going to feel archaic by the time 2028 comes around.
  • That's neat.  I hope it eventually turns out that there are no rules and it's just random bits and symbols chosen to look cool (because really, why would that matter?  It's just a pocketable trinket in a space game)
  • I think this might be part of the problem these days - something like this is automatically expected to be something it really shouldn't have to be.
  • Gotta admit I find this meta stuff all a bit shit "one of the things that keeps pulling me back..". Give it a rest, as if they keep going back to Starfield because there is a prop boardgame item.

This and the sandwiches.

Maybe focus on writing a decent plot. Or faces that don't look like a burns ward.
  • Rule 27 of RPGs - must have a mini-game in which the player can invest an inordinate amount of time in. See Pazaak in KotOR and Gwent in the Witcher 3.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Not in Bethesda games though right?
    Can't remember them being there before, although Fallout has prop boardgames.
  • It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Pazaak and Gwent were great. Also the FF8 game.

Edit: Those games also didn't have massive short comings like Starfield does. Also were actual mini-games not props.
  • Blocks100 wrote:

I forgot about them. Don't think I played them much.
    Probably because they were just 8bit rehashes.
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    When I was a kid, and videogames were far more BASIC (quite literally) the confines of the hardware didn't stop them from giving us really atmospheric Space games like Starglider (who remembers that one?). In my youth, I was able to 'fill in the gaps' of their limited Universes with my imagination. But now as games get more complex and fancy, I'm no longer willing to use my imagination. I want the games to properly deliver on their fabricated Universes. So we collectively poke holes in their space-time fabric when they don't produce things that we now fully expect. There were no doubt beaches in space in Starglider, and they were the best kind of beaches... BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE BY MY MIND!

I think this applies to lots of games. I remember playing pes 20 years ago and thinking it looked and played just like the real thing, you could recognise every player, there were real beaches - you look back now and it's boxy identikit players moving only in 8 directions....and now we play modern fifa and gripe that the laces on the boots aren't modelled right and that when messi shoots the angle of his ankle is 3 degrees out (also it's a cesspit of lootboxes and clunky gameplay but you know, progress! ;) ).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Gwent is fucking brilliant.

I think I might be done with this. Started my first outpost yesterday and the thought of grinding resources to build a hut guild me with dread. I'll probably keep dipping in and out but surely I've got better things to do. I can't imagine there's anything new to experience now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Have you completed the story?
  • Have you completed the story?

No. Not anywhere near, I don't think. I just can't be bothered, although I probably will.
  • Tempy wrote:
    In other video-based vibes one of my favourite videosmn did a cool video inspired by Starfield, where he tackles the the appeal, the history, the practice, and the difficulty of representing space exploration in video games.

He can usually be quite critical of stuff he thinks isn't up to muster, so I think it's interesting that he finds plenty to like about Starfield, No Man's Sky, and Elite Dangerous' varied approaches to space exploration.. before ultimately settling on the idea that maybe... just maybe, the perfect realisation of the fantasy is out of reach, but reaching for it in various ways is nevertheless a worthy pursuit.

Enjoyed this vid. Thanks.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • The link he puts up about a guy being a fuel rat for a month is also pretty good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!