The Ascent - Shooty sci-fi co-op action RPG | PC, XBox (Gamepass) | 29th July
  • Yep, I successfully exercised restraint on this one. Reddit is full of tales of error messages on Xbox One saying 'your system has run out of video RAM!' Will hopefully pick this up on Game pass when I get an Xbox series s next year when, you know, they'll be actual exclusive titles out by then.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I had a quick go on this the other night, it looked gorgeous and sounded great, but I think I might wait until there’s a patch or two before getting properly stuck in. Sounds like there are a few rough edges that may be rounded off soon.
  • There was a big patch for this on the SeX yesterday. Nearly 6gig. Don't know what it does, but some of you waiting for it to be patched may like to investigate further.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Nextlander guys big on this. I will need to carve a slot to try
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Picked this back up tonight and it’s working for me at the moment. Still looks and sounds ridiculously good.
  • If it wasn't for the technical issues I'd be way more glowing. It does look incredible, and is a dense world. Gameplay loop is a bit basic but good fun and progressive enough with equipment and weapon leveling.

Coop is great.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’ve not run into any technical issues yet. Possibly due to the patch, or maybe I’ve just been lucky.
  • TLG all over again. Some of us have good copies, some of us bad.
  • well i tried this, got through the intro section...spoke to the boss in the bar to get the first proper mission...and couldn't find how to get there! :)
    i assume i'm just missing something obvious, but following the 'trail' thing led me a locked guarded doorway, so i started exploring all over the map fighting thugs until i eventually died.
    it is impressive on a graphical level with all the detail and stuff going on, but so for the gameplay itself is very middle of the road and the writing is arse.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You maybe had one of the side missions selected. There are some that literally lead you to doors that don't open until later in the game.

From the menus, check you've got the main mission selected and there should be a path to follow.

Or don't bother because it is pretty average.
  • pretty sure i had the right mission selected, but i'm also leaning towards your latter point.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m continuing to enjoy it. The game play is fine but nothing special, the writing is mediocre, but the world they’ve created is so gorgeous that I can put up with the weaker areas.

It feels like a distinctly old school game, of the type I’d enjoy as a kid, built with the latest and greatest tech.
  • I'm weirdly reminded of that Bruce Willis game the THPS team did, Apocalypse. Imagining this but with a Cage as the protagonist, would be cool/hilarious.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    It feels like a distinctly old school game, of the type I’d enjoy as a kid, built with the latest and greatest tech.

Yes, it definitely has this vibe about it. Reminds me of the good old days hammering away at Super Turrican :)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Late to the party on this. Sounds like it was a good idea to wait for the patch. This looks lovely. Nice density to the world with loads of intricate little details and the lighting is superb. Just played the prologue and have to say it’s a fun little shooter so far. Seem to be quite a few systems and things to improve your character. Looking forward to playing more.
  • For me it's more that it feels unbalanced. So much work seems to have gone into making it look like a really detailed world, but it just doesn't really matter in the end when the mission design and action seems so underdeveloped in comparison. It's one thing creating a game world like this, another justifying its existence. If more of the care and attention applied to the graphics had been spread across to other areas, it surely would've been better overall.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I finally got around to reading the Eurogamer review. It criticises the game for being what it is, a shooter, and not doing more with its beautifully detailed setting. Given the size of the team, and the game they were making, the only way to solve this problem would be to make the world less detailed, less interesting looking, in order to temper his expectations. It’s just such a weird angle to take.

If only you could mindjack with these creatures
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I finally got around to reading the Eurogamer review. It criticises the game for being what it is, a shooter, and not doing more with its beautifully detailed setting. Given the size of the team, and the game they were making, the only way to solve this problem would be to make the world less detailed, less interesting looking, in order to temper his expectations. It’s just such a weird angle to take.
    Sounds like a strange angle to take. Ive not read a Eurogamer review in years now. I just see videos pop up from them about doing Master chief make up and the like so I don't bother with the site. Last EG vid I tried was some fool playing Journey doing asmr whispering. I very nearly hurled my laptop out the window
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    I bounced off this hard at some point. World building and sounds is A+ but I found the gameplay a little samey after 10 odd hours.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Getting that repetitive feeling already and not that far in. The gunplay is fun. Wish there was a run button though. Lot of wandering around. Whenever I play this I keep thinking this would be a great engine for an OG Fallout remake. These graphics but with turn based combat.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Getting that repetitive feeling already and not that far in. The gunplay is fun. Wish there was a run button though. Lot of wandering around. Whenever I play this I keep thinking this would be a great engine for an OG Fallout remake. These graphics but with turn based combat.

I wish there was an indicator on the subways destination menu showing you which district your current objective was in.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • There's another big patch for this today.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I should probably go back and finish it, haven't touched it since new year's
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Finished this off last night and ended up really enjoying it.

There are plenty of criticisms that can be fairly levelled at it, from poor dialogue to a slightly impenetrable plot to a poorly thought through overall layout combined with a weak fast travel system which leaves you spending huge amounts of time running between elevators, to a host of minor bugs which occasionally prevented me from progressing in one mission until I went off and did some other bits and came back, to a fairly simple combat system, but despite all of that, I still had a lot of fun.

A not-insignificant part of that fun came from the sheer quality of the world-building, the amount of depth and detail that was on display at pretty much all times meant that I felt like I was always spotting new things even when I was running down the same stretch of road for the twentieth time. This, combined with the music and audio design left me completely immersed in this version of the Bladerunner world and keen to see what it would throw my way next.

I also enjoyed the combat. There wasn’t a great deal to it, but it was suitably chunky and responsive and there are some fun weapons available later on in the game. The Overwhelmer, Dealbreaker and Dismemberer were particular highlights.

Overall, this was probably an [8] to me, although two of those points are being given for world that they created alone.

I’ll buy this to own at some point.
  • Wow. I couldn’t forgive any of the stuff you mentioned in the first paragraph before I deleted the download. I found it broken beyond being fixable. Fair play to you for getting so much enjoyment from it though and even crazier that someone is going to choose to buy an actual GP game. Bravo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Won’t be the first Game Pass game I’ve bought and it won’t be the last. Some games are worth buying to own.
  • Just finished it tonight. Agree with pretty much everything Yoss said. Though I didn’t have any technical issues whatsoever the dialogue and plot could’ve done with some work. The plot actually wasn’t all that bad, just needed putting across much better as the crux isn’t revealed until the very last minute, and it could’ve been worked up to much better and very easily.

Really hope to see a sequel as the game is a beauty with chunky, fun and interesting combat, would love to spend more time in that world with better storytelling.
  • This is now a tenner on Xbox Store. Tempted.

Is it still in GP too?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!