Horizon: Forbidden West
  • It’s remind me of AC:Odyssey where tt needs such a strong female character that just gets shit done.

I’m liking how meaty the story missions are mixed with the open world explorating
    The Forum Herald™
  • Explor…ating…?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Really enjoying this. The quality of life improvements from the original really make this more playable (no more crap Inventory management), Aloy is still a good lead (yes, I like her character), the prologue added some fun intrigue to the story and the combat is still great.
    Definitely pretty easy, and I can tell why they put in the higher difficulty levels from the off. On the other hand the free-form combat lends itself to planning fun strategies.

An I'm still not out of the Daunt yet.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Really enjoying this. The quality of life improvements from the original really make this more playable (no more crap Inventory management), Aloy is still a good lead (yes, I like her character), the prologue added some fun intrigue to the story and the combat is still great.
    Definitely pretty easy, and I can tell why they put in the higher difficulty levels from the off. On the other hand the free-form combat lends itself to planning fun strategies.

An I'm still not out of the Daunt yet.

A fellow player?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just left the Daunt.
    That set-piece action scene was just great. Utter bad-ass. AND introduced something new to the game.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    (yes, I like her character)
    Me too, I never understand the hate.

Yes, she's dead serious, but there is a sense of humour in there. Thing is, she was basically alone for what - 18 years? She's all the social and interpersonal experience of a 4chan user and yet she's still a nice person. But yeah, she's going to be odd and in the habit of talking to herself.

If I've a criticism - even though the Witcher has the whole 'there are no clear good/ bad outcomes to this quest line', thing and I like the clear cut nature of Horizon, I wouldn't mind it if they had more grey-area morality. There were two moments in the Daunt where I really thought characters (one of them definitely amoral and dodgy) were going to play on Aloy's naive sense of duty and willingness to help, but nothing came of it and it was just cleanly resolved.
    Felt there were some missed opportunities.

How she dealt with the cringe Sun King scene made me laugh, though.
  • I get what your saying but she’s got a naivety crossed with steely battle skills where as Geralt has that world weary thing going on

What I like is the bespoke handmade quality to the world .. in a Ubisoft you get that cookie cutter drag and drop feel to the world building where as this is like at R* world of detail and variety
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bob wrote:
    I get what your saying but she’s got a naivety crossed with steely battle skills where as Geralt has that world weary thing going on

What I like is the bespoke handmade quality to the world .. in a Ubisoft you get that cookie cutter drag and drop feel to the world building where as this is like at R* world of detail and variety

I think its the tribes and the attention to detail in them that help create that world.

I find Aloy slightly annoying, its not her character as I think if I knew everything and had to talk to plebs constantly I'd be a condescending prick at times, what annoys me is her non stop advice to the player. It doesn't give you a chance to figure things out or enjoy the beautiful world around you. Other than that though I think its an incredible game. Unmatched beauty in the looks department and a creativity combined with consistency thats quite difficult to achieve. It doesn't solely rely on style or dark gothic architecture to get its beauty across to the player. I find that quite refreshing.
  • I find she gives the right advice just when I’m
    About to get annoyed so I guess horses for courses
    The Forum Herald™
  • Still plugging away. I've got 40+ hours into it now.

I think I'm near the end as I've collected the
    Spoiler:

So I'm pottering around doing side stuff. The sheer amount of stuff and the variety.. I wanted the legendary armour so I set about doing the armour crafting scrap hunting contracts thing and sure enough the first contract is find x-beast and kill it and bring me the parts.. for Ubisoft that'd be enough for a whole sequence of similar quests.. not so here.. I'm doing all sorts of varied stuff.

The combat is still a bit fiddly and I don't like the lack of a lock on and the amount of burrowing enemies that are hard to get physical attacks in but my bow work is improving.

Overall I'm loving it still.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I need to get back to this. I think i got the 2nd or 3rd wotsit but wasn't in the mood for all the talky bits that follow so I took a break.

I like the bow, I only use the staff occasionally as its the weakest part of the combat system imo.

I wanna get op though as taking down dinos quick looks awesome on the YT clips I've seen.

@bob
    Spoiler:
  • Cupatay wrote:
    I need to get back to this. I think i got the 2nd or 3rd wotsit but wasn't in the mood for all the talky bits that follow so I took a break. I like the bow, I only use the staff occasionally as its the weakest part of the combat system imo. I wanna get op though as taking down dinos quick looks awesome on the YT clips I've seen. @bob
    Spoiler:

I've written about this in the "Just completed" thread. Ultimately I thought it was technically impressive, visually stunning, but ultimately a bit empty. 

In terms of weapons - the exploding spear thing was easily my favourite once I'd popped out of stealth. (Using the sharpshoot to cleave off anything dangerous/helpful first.). There is a way to make the regular staff less shit, and I used it a fair bit more afterwards...
    Spoiler:
  • Yeah - i like the way a lot of the missions take place int there own sort of levels rather than being just on the open world
    The Forum Herald™
  • Upgrading my chosen outfit has to wait; it requires two Strombird hearts, and so far I’ve only encountered one, as part of a story mission. I have no Stormbird sites on the map yet.
    I was on my way to carry out a side mission, and got distracted by a couple of icons on the map which I would now be able to complete, due to obtaining a certain item since I first discovered them. Because of that, my route took me by a shelter and I thought I’d spend some time upgrading weapons. Once I was out of the crafting screen, the hud flashed up my job for upgrading my outfit, and reset the progress on the Stormbird heart cannons back to 0/2. So, I had unwittingly just used the one I had to upgrade a weapon. I hadn’t been paying attention to the resources each upgrade was using, just hitting ‘craft’ on anything showing as available.

Slightly annoyed at myself, I headed to the side mission I’d been aiming for. What popped up as the final machine to beat for the side mission? Yup, a Stormbird,  and I successfully dislodged its heart cannon. If I hadn’t taken those detours, then hadn’t paused to upgrade my weapons, and hadn’t been so hasty in what I was doing, I would be upgrading my outfit right now. Bugger.
  • The upgrade system in this game soooo wants to be Monster Hunter, but it also wants to keep you invested in the story. Sorry, but I think it should be one or the other - unless you're willing to pump a helluva lot of hours in.

I'm on the Burning Shores expansion and ignored a lot of the upgrading aside from a couple of weapons and what was needed for the trophies. Normal mode is easy enough without a few stat increases.
  • The upgrade system in this game soooo wants to be Monster Hunter,.

I’ve played monster hunter - it definitely doesn’t want to be dog shit
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just dropped the platty in the first game so I'm tempted to go back to this and just spend a ton more time in the world.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!