Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm onto the final part of Sandman Vol 1, but am failing to get Sandmen 2 and 3, which is tedious. Hence unsure what to read next. I do own Gideon though, so maybe that...
  • Tried to read Tales of the Peculiar (Ransom Riggs) earlier in the week, as my niece recommended it. Some nice ideas but most of it fell flat for me so I only made it through half of the stories. Nipped into a charity shop near work and grabbed a few things, including Blood on the Snow by Jo Nesbo. I recognised the name (I've probably seen TV or film adaptations of his work) but Jesus fucking Christ it was awful. Genuinely one of the worst things I've ever read, and I'm not particularly fussy with pageturners. On par with a Steve Bruce novel.
  • Thankfully The Timewaster Letters by Robin Cooper feels like a win. I've already popped it back in my bag because I'd been chuckling at something for too long on the train.
  • 4. Flowers for Algernon - 8/9
    Daniel Keyes
    Written as a series of progress reports / diary entries, a pleasant, interesting and somewhat philosophical read. Didn’t expect it to strike emotional chords either, but it did - a rollercoaster of emotions in fact, making me feel sympathy and guilt to hatred to anger and back to sympathy. I suspect most here have read it, but if not, this is highly recommended. It’s classed as sci-fi, which it is, but it’s so much more than that.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah, it’s a great book.
    Get schwifty.
  • The Timewaster Letters - Robin Cooper

Worth it for the best exchanges but the novelty wore off fairly quickly. Very funny on occasion.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    4. Flowers for Algernon - 8/9 Daniel Keyes Written as a series of progress reports / diary entries, a pleasant, interesting and somewhat philosophical read. Didn’t expect it to strike emotional chords either, but it did - a rollercoaster of emotions in fact, making me feel sympathy and guilt to hatred to anger and back to sympathy. I suspect most here have read it, but if not, this is highly recommended. It’s classed as sci-fi, which it is, but it’s so much more than that.

Yep, as Raiz says, it's a great book. Yet another classic that some Americans were weirdly keen to try and ban from schools.
  • Ban for what?! Fucking crazy. Because of some religious philosophising? Because scientists were ‘playing God’?! Americans, pfft.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ban for what?! Fucking crazy. Because of some religious philosophising? Because scientists were ‘playing God’?! Americans, pfft.

Apparently for the sex scene that, if I'm honest, I don't remember.
  • Lol thats even mor stupiderer
  • 10. A feast for Crows
    Game of Thrones again.
    This has taken me bloody ages. I first started it years ago and ditched it twice since. A real slog of a book with some decent chapters mainly late on. At some point Martin took the decision that it would be better to split the books rather than tighten them up in a way that reminds me of The Hobbit movies.
    The result is plodding and repetition.
    Brienne and Ironborn chapters in particular feel like they repeat themselves over and over.
    It also means we lose characters like Tyrion and John Snow for a whole book sacrificing variety.
    The naming of houses and dynasties also goes into overdrive, clearly Martin gets a kick out of this shit, he is good at building it to be fair but I just dont care to read endless names that are of no relevance to the story.
    He probably cum his pants writing Fire and Blood.
    When its good its good but at near 800 pages (not counting the family trees at the back) the good is spread a bit thin. Im glad to see the back of this one, a real millstone.
  • I'm reading A Storm of Swords at the moment and really enjoying it.  Better than first two books.  So far.
  • The first 3 books are great.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    4. Flowers for Algernon - 8/9 Daniel Keyes Written as a series of progress reports / diary entries, a pleasant, interesting and somewhat philosophical read. Didn’t expect it to strike emotional chords either, but it did - a rollercoaster of emotions in fact, making me feel sympathy and guilt to hatred to anger and back to sympathy. I suspect most here have read it, but if not, this is highly recommended. It’s classed as sci-fi, which it is, but it’s so much more than that.

Yep, as Raiz says, it's a great book. Yet another classic that some Americans were weirdly keen to try and ban from schools.
    Well the library here has 40 copies (spread over the whole county) with 26 available, so people are borrowing it. Hopefully not to burn it.

Anyway, I should be able to pick up a copy next week. I don't really know anything about it so we'll see how I get on with it.

I just finished Child in Time and tbh I'm not sure about that one. There were times where the writing and part of the story clicked and I couldn't put the book down, and there were times where I even struggled with a paragraph. Guess I liked individual story beats but the overall story didn't do much, or more likely I might have missed the meaning / idea. It's all very carefully written and I just admit there were just some parts where I didn't know the exact meaning of a word, and the does seem important in the way this is written. When I enjoyed it I did think it was really good though, I'm glad I read it. Might consider another one of his with a different theme. Suspect I've been slightly misguided by the promise of a haunting and macabre themes and I didn't really feel that. Plus the back of the book promising a great conclusion is also something I had to disagree with.

I did just come from The discomfort of the Evening though, while not written as well, it was an uncomfortable read and that might have influenced how I thought Child in Time was gonna be.

• I always chortle when I read Martin’s estimation of when the 5th book is coming out.
  • 12-18 months after he dies would be my guess.
  • He says the next book will be next year “(I devoutly hope)”.

It was released 6 years later. :-)
  • And I bet he’s put a clause in so that nobody can continue with his books.

Even if the 6th appears I don’t think I’ll bother as we know the remaining book(s) will never materialise.

I think I’m going to invent my own ending that follows the 3rd book.
  • 22. Tau Zero (Poul Anderson)
    Picked this up on Raz's recommendation and really enjoyed it - its a bit of a head fuck of a concept but it's really well executed and it's amazing to think it was written in 1970 - it hasn't really dated at all.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Oooh thanks for reminding me, I need to finish that!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 23. Cthulu Reloaded (David Conyers)
    A collection of Lovecraft inspired tales set in the modern world of espionage where a shadowy black-ops unit called Code-89 desperately try to defend Earth from invading horrors from other dimensions. It's absolutely as daft as that sounds and although the writing is (even by the authors admission) not that great (it started as a self published mini series) it's chock full of bonkers ideas, wacky multi-dimensional physics, Shoggoths and shoot outs. I bought the next volume so it can't be that bad.
  • So what did you think of the scholamance conclusion Tiger? I thought she did a decent job. Not easy to go outside the setting of the first 2 books, and the moving around made it suffer a little, but not bad.
    GT: Knight640
  • 24. The Space Between Worlds (Micaiah Johnson)
    On an Earth where an unspecified environmental catastrophe has left much of the planet toxic and uninhabitable, the multiverse and the means to travel to different versions of reality has been invented. You can only safely travel there if the 'you' at your destination is already dead though, giving rise to the use of individuals whose high risk lifestyles mean that they are likely to have died in other worlds - in short, poor people of colour living outside of the secure walls of the majority white, rich cities. Fantastically written and full of great characters, will definitely be keeping an eye on this author.
  • 25. Ramble Book (Adam Buxton)
    This is the first audio book I've ever read and anything afterwards is going to have a lot to live up to. Asides from being the memoir of one of my favourite comedians and podcasters - which is by turn funny, touching and extremely relatable - it's put together in a way that I cannot imagine the written book ever getting close to. Jingles, asides, daft voices and other audio devices are all employed to give the book some real texture. I absolutely loved it.
  • Ramble Book is a joy, listened to it over one of the lockdowns and it just made me so happy
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK wrote:
    Watched the first episode of the TV series and decided I'd rather read the book. On my list.

Only Dick novel I've read is Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep which is quite different to the film adaptation (Bladerunner of course) in many ways. The book has a lot more going on.

The second film also picks up on a few themes from the book that the first film does not.

The Mercer-ism philosophy (stoicism?) seems to be the coping mechanism used by some of the replicants, and the environmental disaster is much more prominent.

All 3 are pretty complementary works.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 26. Cthulu Resurgent (David Conyer)
    More Lovecraftian monster nonsense. Unfortunately, despite continuing with some great ideas the writing seems to have actually gotten worse. One of the worst books I've ever read.
  • Lullaby - Leila Slimani 

Pretty good thriller.  Hand That Rocks the Cradle vibes.  Perfect nanny may not be quite so perfect.  It's been done before, but I enjoyed it.  

The Jigsaw Man - Paul Britton

Forensic psychologist looks back on some incredibly harrowing (and well known) cases.  Gripping, but obviously bleak.  The Jamie Bulger chapter was hard going.  I'm not sure I would've made it through if Britton wasn't blowing his own trumpet left right and centre, which started to become amusing.  It's hard not to notice how desperate he is to retell events as the smartest person in every room. But hey - maybe he is.  A good read, although I don't think true crime's a genre for me really. 

Dennis Lehane - Darkness, Take My Hand

Enjoyable trash.  Bafflingly OTT in places and a bit on the silly side overall, but once I stopped resisting I started to enjoy myself.  I don't think I'll read any more though (the main characters appear in half a dozen other novels I think).  I'll stick with Hap & Leonard for this sort of thing, as Lansdale takes things a little less seriously.

The Last Picture Show - Larry McMurtry

A re-read of one of my favourites.  One chapter aside - which seems incongruous, mostly unnecessary and could almost written by a different author - I'd say it's just about perfect.  Still in my top 5, a true classic.
  • Mr. Nobody - Catherine Steadman

Man with no memory turns up on a beach, neuropsychiatrist is called in to investigate. A rec from the wife while I waited for my stuff to turn up. Was pretty good for a while, but once the main character put the pieces together it turned out everything it had been leading up to was ridiculous. Pet peeve: when a book ends with a sample of something else the author has written. I thought this had enough chapters left to dig itself out of the mire, then it just ended. Poor.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!