What if the Soviets got to the moon first? (But video games.)
  • The Nights controller came out after the N64.

There was also this nonsense for the NES.

IMG_5075.jpg
  • I'm sure I had some completely useless stick-on mini-joystick for the megadrive controller. Which didn't stay stuck on for very long. But did leave a sticky residue all over the d-pad when it came off. And the MD didn't process analog inputs anyway and none of the games were designed to be played that way. Apart from that, it was great.
  • davyK wrote:
    Nintendo not releasing wii is kind of saying what if Nintendo stopped being Nintendo....

True - but the wii was different. It was much less powerful (was it even HD?) to the 360 and PS3. Nintendo always evolved their controller but the wii was a real change. I'd argue a bigger change than the n64.

Nintendo to SNES -  More Power, More buttons, fair to say outside of the Neo Geo it was the top spec machine of its gen
    SNES to N64 - More Power, New Control stick, and CD issue aside wasnt this more powerful than the PS1 and the Saturn? 
    N64 to Gamecube - More Power, new controller style, I think the spec for the Cube and the Box are about level with the PS2 not as strong
    Gamecube to Wii - A small bit more powerful, radically different approach to control, Very much behind 360 and PS3 spec wise.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The Master System had a class joystick

Sega-Master-System-Control-Stick.jpg
  • I had that. Used it even less than the rapid fire unit.
  • davyK wrote:
    Nintendo not releasing wii is kind of saying what if Nintendo stopped being Nintendo....

For two generations Nintendo was at or near the peak of the tech race and they wound it back a lot for the Wii.
  • You used to be able to get analogue ‘flight stick’ controllers back in the Atari/Amiga days, mostly for flight sims.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    3. Nintendo didn't break their deal with Sony, and we got a SuperCD add-on, as well as a "PlayStation": a SNES/SuperCD all-in-one, a la the Twin Famicom, Turbo Duo, Multi-Mega, et al

The Nintendo Playstation would have unbalanced everything.
    Doubt we'd have the indie culture we have now, had Sony towed the line.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nintendo have always believed in putting the oomph where their 1st party games needed it.

SNES was pretty underpowered - slow clock speed but it had great graphics and sound chips.

N64 was a powerhouse - its processor speed at just under 100Mhz was a beast on release. Of course it had other shortcomings such as its texture cache but it had "it" where they wanted it.

GC was probably their most conventional console. A powerful safe pair of hands.

N64 and GC both made money but aren't considered successful.

I have waxed lyrical here about the so called Nintendo difference but I always thought it was the fact that they designed the hardware & controller to match the games they wanted to do. The PS1 actually followed that plan a bit - it was designed to host 3D games from the ground up.

Sony and MS now build a generic powerhouse, Nintendo stick to their plan.

Wii was a bolt from the blue though and was a genius move. After conservative GC, they decided not to play at power games with the other two and went their own way.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I have a theory that Nintendo expected the Gamecube to sell big numbers and got a good deal off IBM for the chip (explaining the relatively low price but comparable performance to xbox and PS2). The GCN fumble though meant they had chips to spare which is why they just put two of each into the Wii.

Nintendo made a good deal, on similar kind of ridiculous numbers to cost ratios for the chips in the NES which is why I think the GCN, Wii and Wii U used basically the same chips for ages.
  • I have a theory that Nintendo expected the Gamecube to sell big numbers and got a good deal off IBM for the chip (explaining the relatively low price but comparable performance to xbox and PS2). The GCN fumble though meant they had chips to spare which is why they just put two of each into the Wii. Nintendo made a good deal, on similar kind of ridiculous numbers to cost ratios for the chips in the NES which is why I think the GCN, Wii and Wii U used basically the same chips for ages.

Well, we still don't know the exact chipset of the wii u, they haven't released it yet.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    If Nintendo didn't release the wii and instead followed the route of Sony and Microsoft and just made a more powerful Gamecube 2 do they end up as a third party publisher?

And following that if the Wii doesn't happen and therefore Kinnect likely never gets made for 360, does the Xbox 720 have a much better chance against the PS4?

For the first part, my gut instinct is yes. From NES to GameCube, each one sold fewer units than the last (iirc), and the GC was Nintendo's last attempt at competing on raw power. They simply couldn't keep up with the infinite pockets of Sony and Microsoft. While they've always planned ahead (see: Mario 64 and the N64 controller) the "old tech used in interesting ways" schtick really took hold with the Wii. A GC2 Electric Cube-a-loo feels like a swansong machine to me.

As for the no Wii, no Kinect, a better chance for the Xbone... maybe? I think Microsoft probably still would have tried the "it does everything!" approach, and still lost out to the PS4s "it plays games really well, innit" strategy. Perhaps by a narrower margin.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Here's another one: if Sony hadn't released so many SKUs of the PS3, each with slightly different feature sets and HDD sizes, would the third PlayStation have done better against the 360? I always thought it was weird that Sony kept dicking with it. I couldn't keep up and I'm an enthusiast; how the fuck is the average person going to know which PS3 will play their old PS2 games and which won't? Why add Linux support and then take it out? Why so many HDD choices when the PS3 had user replaceable hard drives?

It seems to me like they were trying to bring the cost of the PS3 down* by taking the butcher's knife to the feature set, when I reckon the money they spent doing that could have been better spent by investing in the manufacturing process to make the initial offering cheaper.

*£525 at launch! Jeebus wept.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The big problems with ps3 was that it had the worst versions of games and was a more expensive console. Who knew the creators of crash bandicoot were about to change the idea of what a “PlayStation game” was.
  • Also the Xbox 360 had two variations out the gate and no hdmi. It’s weird how crap it was
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    No HDMI?
  • Price was the big thing.

360 was £280 or £210 without HDD.
    PS3 was £425.
    Thats a huge difference.

I seem to remember the PS3 had a HDMI port put no cable in the box, given how early this was cheap cables weren't all that easy to come by so add another £20 on.
  • Also the 360 Elite which had HDMI was only 5 months behind the PS3 launch and cost £299.99.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Price was the big thing.

360 was £280 or £210 without HDD.
    PS3 was £425.
    Thats a huge difference.

My brain is saying £525. I think you’re right though. I remember walking past the local GAME when the PS3 launched. They still had piles of units left.

• That was from a quick Google.
    Might have been bundles? Game loved a bundle.
  • I was one of the early ps3 buyers in Ireland, got it with motorstorm, resistance and I think an extra joypad and I have a figure just shy of 700 euro in my head.

Yes, it was a while ago and yes, I was flush and foolish with cash.

The no HD on the 360 is an eye opener but I was a bit late to the party for that console so my original white 360 was HD ready.
    SFV - reddave360
  • It could do HD via component cable.
    Its worth remembering that hardly any games ran above 720p even late on that gen.
  • I had the component cable 360, it lasted a surprisingly long time considering the amount of RRODs knocking about.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It could do HD via component cable.
    Its worth remembering that hardly any games ran above 720p even late on that gen.

Oh maybe that's what it was. Not a specified HD cable but one included?

SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Motorstorm & Resistance trilogies could both do with remasters...
  • The Soviets did get to the Moon first. Just sayin.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Well obviously, that's the whole plot of Battlezone

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!