Most disappointing games
  • At launch, No Man's Sky was massively disappointing to the point I actually took it back and traded it in.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • God of War Ragnarok

I have strong memories of the previous game sinking it's claws into me and not letting go until it was done. Was thinking this would be the same but it's funny how some slight core changes to what is essentially the same game has made this one a real chore to put serious time into.
    I'm so deep now that I think I'll stick with it but just in bits and pieces.

A real shame.
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    Most disappointing from my expectation recently was probably Carrion. I am a huge metroidvania fan, and the premise of this was amazing. But about 3 hours in I just didn't want to play any more - the rooms all looked the same, and the lack of a map made it a chore to navigate the world, a sin in a good platformer.
  • Agree. Carrion was a waste of a good idea. Lower tier Devolver.
  • I really enjoyed it despite being aware it wasn’t actually good.
  • You didn't strike me as a Carrion regardless type. I thought you only played 10s?
  • I liked the bit where Barbara Windsor's bra pinged off.
  • God of War Ragnarok I have strong memories of the previous game sinking it's claws into me and not letting go until it was done. Was thinking this would be the same but it's funny how some slight core changes to what is essentially the same game has made this one a real chore to put serious time into. I'm so deep now that I think I'll stick with it but just in bits and pieces. A real shame.

Yep. This is me too. Well, except the bit about sticking with it. Well, I am, but jo rush at all. Whatsoever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd asked for GoW R for Xmas and it was one thing I didn't get off my list. Sounds like I was lucky waiting.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I echo their sentiments. I love the writing, looks gorgeous but its too long for what the loop is. Already bored after 10 hours.

The first was long bit combat felt tighter, as the whole game did. Its a consequence of sequel bloat.
  • I echo their sentiments. I love the writing, looks gorgeous but its too long for what the loop is. Already bored after 10 hours.

The first was long bit combat felt tighter, as the whole game did. Its a consequence of sequel bloat.

Agree with all this other than a big lol at the good writing, it’s fucking awful. I’ve sacked it off for a while though I may go back at some point.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Maybe it's FINAL FANTASY PIXEL TIME
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I echo their sentiments. I love the writing, looks gorgeous but its too long for what the loop is. Already bored after 10 hours.

Agree with all this other than a big lol at the good writing, it’s fucking awful. I’ve sacked it off for a while though I may go back at some point.

Dude I cried and I laughed and I wanked sometimes all at the same time not many games can do that
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

Dude I cried and I laughed and I wanked sometimes all at the same time not many games can do that

Sometimes High On Life do be like that
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    At launch, No Man's Sky was massively disappointing to the point I actually took it back and traded it in.

Apparently there are people out there who think what I’m about to say makes me an insufferable prick*, but No Man’s Sky was almost perfect in my eyes, at launch. It was almost exactly the game I expected it to be, and I played for over 100 hours in its initial state.

I’ve been back to it since the updates, and find it very hard to get on with now. They’ve changed the feel of it, and not for the better. Base-building in particular is an abomination. It’s the antithesis of the mood, feel, tone and original vision of the game.

* Or confirms it, I suppose.

As much as I love the base building, it definitely detracts from the whole idea of being on the move. Sure I've been to about 7 or 8 galaxies, but my base of operations is still in the system I discovered in the new year 2017 right after I started playing (got my ps4 for Christmas 2016 and NMS was the first game I played on it).

The one thing I miss the most is how deserted the space stations were - a few intrepid explorers rather than the busier spaces they are now. And I know they were always identikit, but the more content there is, the more it sticks out like a sore thumb that every station has identical promenades (that are pretty dull). At least they could have been procedurally generated.

PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Borderlands 3 (which i loved but lacks any teplayability)

What does this mean?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It means one playthrough and done. I've been through Borderlands 1 about ten times, 2 about 20 times. 3 I've no desire to ever play again.

It throws legendaries at you like candy, its too long, and its badly written. Handsome Jack was a banger of a villain the twins in 3 are fuck awful. It has the best moment to moment gameplay, however.

Blands 2 is a near perfect game, still.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    At launch, No Man's Sky was massively disappointing to the point I actually took it back and traded it in.

Apparently there are people out there who think what I’m about to say makes me an insufferable prick*, but No Man’s Sky was almost perfect in my eyes, at launch. It was almost exactly the game I expected it to be, and I played for over 100 hours in its initial state.

I’ve been back to it since the updates, and find it very hard to get on with now. They’ve changed the feel of it, and not for the better. Base-building in particular is an abomination. It’s the antithesis of the mood, feel, tone and original vision of the game.

* Or confirms it, I suppose.

My manager hasn't played it much/at all since the patches arrived either. I've never really known him to play much other than PES for years, then Fifa (plus Portal, and Bioshock up to the last boss), but for some reason he hammered NMS in its original form.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Monopoly can be fixed* pretty easily.

1) You don't collect any income while in prison, regardless if someone lands on your property. (This stops jail being a lucrative place to be.)
    2) No collecting the money in community chest if you land on free parking. (This stops a player on the verge of losing suddenly having a ton of cash and adding an extra hour or two to the game.)
    3) The game ends not when there's one non-bankrupt player left, but when one person goes bankrupt. The standings are determined by cash + value of properties.

*Made less shit, delete as appropriate.

Indeed it was actually broken from it's release since it's only half a game.
    Most people think that Charles Darrow was the creator of the game Monopoly. The game was in fact invented by a rebellious young American woman, Elizabeth Magie.

In her original version of the game she called 'The Landlord's Game', there were two sets of rules - a monopoly version and a prosperity version - which together were designed to show the effect of different taxation policies on social outcomes. Or in other words - the dangers of capitalism.

What can we learn about economics and human nature that it was only the monopoly version that survived?

Source: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/monopolys-strange-history/9544444
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I echo their sentiments. I love the writing, looks gorgeous but its too long for what the loop is. Already bored after 10 hours. The first was long bit combat felt tighter, as the whole game did. Its a consequence of sequel bloat.
    I think it's a good script but it's tonally all wrong.

Anyway, I echo the boredom sentiments, and also ditched it after 12 hours. I wouldn't call it disappointing as such, since I had issues with the first game too, but this was definitely worse.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Indeed it was actually broken from it's release since it's only half a game.
    Most people think that Charles Darrow was the creator of the game Monopoly. The game was in fact invented by a rebellious young American woman, Elizabeth Magie. In her original version of the game she called 'The Landlord's Game', there were two sets of rules - a monopoly version and a prosperity version - which together were designed to show the effect of different taxation policies on social outcomes. Or in other words - the dangers of capitalism. What can we learn about economics and human nature that it was only the monopoly version that survived?
    Source: https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/monopolys-strange-history/9544444

That's excellent. Putting that in the QI thread.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Going back to the Carrion discussion, it's an excellent game. It gives the impression of being a Metroidvania, which is the main problem with the game - it's not. It's very linear. Yeah, you tend to go from A to B and back to A, having gained a new ability, before moving on to the next area, but the exploration is an illusion. You don't have much actual choice where you go. Trying to explore will just get you lost (and as people have said, there's no map, which will cause frustration), and there's not really much in the way of secrets to find anyway. (There's the obligatory collectible, but they don't do much, IIRC.)

I'd recommend playing it. The art style and the game play are both excellent. Just remember - it's a puzzle-platformer where you don't jump. It's not a metroidvania. Keep that in mind and you'll love it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Yea I mean the puzzles are rubbish
  • It’s just that I enjoyed the sound and aesthetic so much that I didn’t really care.
  • I wouldn't call it a Metroidvania but it's still a bit pish. Especially the bits where you control humans. The creature controls wonderfully, it's just wasted on the game built around it. MO: Astray has the looks, controls, puzzles and linear focus in one vastly superior package (imho ymmv to all this).
  • Resident Evil 4.

I loved the first 3, and liked Code Veronica.

This got top reviews, so I purchased it day one for GameCube. Hated it. Doesn't play like a Resi game should.
  • Death loop

yawn
    PSN - minkymu
  • Resident Evil 4. I loved the first 3, and liked Code Veronica. This got top reviews, so I purchased it day one for GameCube. Hated it. Doesn't play like a Resi game should.

Aye. If you were expecting a standard usual Resi game, it’s disappointing. But it’s the best videogame in the Resi series.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Minkymu wrote:
    Death loop

yawn

I tried but it didn’t hook me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!