• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I have one of these for a film where people get evacuated from a town by a blazing siren. I think it’s to do with a volcano or earthquake or some sort of natural disaster as opposed to war. But the siren is similar. I think it’s a 70’s or 80’s film. Possibly earlier. I watched it in the 80’s though.

This could have been The Time Machine. There's a scene set in the future - there's a war on and when the sirens go off , character played by Rod Taylor gets to the time machine just in time - is covered with lava (I presume because of the nuclear bombs that are hinted at in the dialogue) which cools to rock and he has to keep going and waits until the elements wear it away!!  :)

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • You should watch Vivarium grem, similar vibes in the 'unescapable village' genre.
  • It’s the Ghouls definitely. It’s on YouTube. There’s a thick fog around the village that he passes through on the way in, then when he’s escaping, then he ends up getting taken back through it. British horror anthology from amicus.
  • That Monster Club film was put on at a girls birthday party when I must have been 9 or 10. I vaguely remember the Ghouls but was genuinely terrified by The Shadmock. A vampire type guy that could melt things by whistling at them. The girls at the party were fine with it.
  • My own one of these I solved a few years ago with googling. Dark Towers, a look and read thing they showed at school. A ghost materialises in a bed at the end of one episode. Got a note from my Mum saying I didn’t have to watch the rest of the series because it was too scary.

As you may be picking up, I was quite a sensitive child.
  • Dark Towers scared the crap out of me.
    It was the shitness of it that made unsettling. I could watch Ghostbusters no problem.
  • Monkey never finished an episode of Scooby Doo
  • davyK wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    I have one of these for a film where people get evacuated from a town by a blazing siren. I think it’s to do with a volcano or earthquake or some sort of natural disaster as opposed to war. But the siren is similar. I think it’s a 70’s or 80’s film. Possibly earlier. I watched it in the 80’s though.
    This could have been The Time Machine. There's a scene set in the future - there's a war on and when the sirens go off , character played by Rod Taylor gets to the time machine just in time - is covered with lava (I presume because of the nuclear bombs that are hinted at in the dialogue) which cools to rock and he has to keep going and waits until the elements wear it away!!  :)

I dont think it's this, only because i'm pretty sure it wasn't war and i think it was set outside of a city. I remember a skyline of mountains in the background and possible coniferous trees, like it was set it canada (or how i saw canada to look like this summer) but presumably american.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Monkey never finished an episode of Scooby Doo
    I would have if the monsters had been fakes. But real monsters? Fuck that.
  • mk, is it The Day After? Kansas City gets nuked. Town gets evacuated.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Dark Towers scared the crap out of me. It was the shitness of it that made unsettling. I could watch Ghostbusters no problem.
    Yeah Ghostbusters was fine. But then the BBC would put on something made for pennies like Moondial and I'd shit the bed.
  • While searching for the “can’t escape the town” trope (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/UnnaturallyLoopingLocation) I was pretty amazed at just how many tropes and themes ITMOM manages to hit :-)
    https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Film/InTheMouthOfMadness
  • My mate had something like this thread with a short film he’d seen on channel 4 once when he was a kid. It was about a man walking down a lane who fell into a hole up to his waste. That’s all he had and he used to bang on about it all the fucking time - the vibe really got to him. He emailed channel 4 who trawled their depository, went off to the original production company who trawled their stuff, who then digitised it and uploaded it to YouTube and sent him a link. They also sent him a dvd too. Took about 6 months but they clearly have teams who help with this kind of shit.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Was it The Vicar if Dibley?
  • My mate had something like this thread with a short film he’d seen on channel 4 once when he was a kid. It was about a man walking down a lane who fell into a hole up to his waste. That’s all he had and he used to bang on about it all the fucking time - the vibe really got to him. He emailed channel 4 who trawled their depository, went off to the original production company who trawled their stuff, who then digitised it and uploaded it to YouTube and sent him a link. They also sent him a dvd too. Took about 6 months but they clearly have teams who help with this kind of shit.

That's pretty cool that they went to those lengths for him.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Why did he shit in the hole though?
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • monkey wrote:
    mk, is it The Day After? Kansas City gets nuked. Town gets evacuated.

No, i dont think it is. The biggest problem is that i can only remember such a small snippet but it's like a photo imprinted in my mind. If i see that moment in the film i'll 100% know it. But it's possible these are all the films but i cant marry the clips to the scene i can visualise. 

Appreciate the help
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • ZMM wrote:
    There was a recent wibbly wobbly dubstep track on a BBC ad for a new teen drama, and now I can't even remember the name of the drama, let alone the wobbly dubstep track. I'm sure it was by Skream or someone of his ilk.

Turns out this was my mate's doing. He edits TV promos and got to pick the track on that one.

• LivDiv wrote:
    ZMM wrote:
    There was a recent wibbly wobbly dubstep track on a BBC ad for a new teen drama, and now I can't even remember the name of the drama, let alone the wobbly dubstep track. I'm sure it was by Skream or someone of his ilk.
    Turns out this was my mate's doing. He edits TV promos and got to pick the track on that one.

So... What was it?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's a fecking tune. I had the same thing when Roni Size dropped it in a DnB set way back, spent time finding it.
  • I found that MC Viper set.
    It was Garage Nation 02.
  • Thought you meant MC vapour then and got excited.
  • I feel like Sparky right now.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I feel like Sparky right now.

Enjoy

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!