Hogwarts Legacy
‹ Previous12345
  • XbFNPw2AoG4Gy6bQUzv2rG.png

It's an open world Harry Potter action RPG! Apparently it's pretty good (85 Metacritic, 9.1 User score at the time of writing) and now you can live your dream of being a snide Slytherin guy, a brave Gryffindor chap, a bookish Ravenclaw gal, or an absolute loser in Hufflepuff. Learn spells! Do magic! Explore Hogwarts and (maybe) have a big adventure.

Lots of controversy about this due to Rowling's opinions on all matters trans, but people who like the IP seem to be really enjoying it.
  • I find it odd that there’s controversy about this game just because of the author of the books the game is based on. I mean, the game itself doesn’t comment on trans rights etc does it? So fucking odd.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Apparently the devs included a trans character but I've also seen that being decried as a bad thing due to tokenism: they are a pretty shallow character who isn't explored much. And their name -  Sirona Ryan - is also a problem, apparently.

I may buy this if I see it in town today.
  • What's the issue with the name Sirona Ryan?

Edit: Sir Ona Ryan, maybe. Just spotted it.
  • I think it's fairly obvious why some people are chosing to boycott the game. JK is one of the most vocal and influential anti-trans voices in the world and she's going to benefit financially from this game. Whether that bothers you or not is up to you.
  • Ah, ok. Cheers Tiger. Tokenism I do have an issue with. Like, it’s not that they care about certain demographics, just paying lip service etc. That sucks.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Harry Potter and the Game That's Way Better Than it Should Be.
  • Scout wrote:
    I think it's fairly obvious why some people are chosing to boycott the game. JK is one of the most vocal and influential anti-trans voices in the world and she's going to benefit financially from this game. Whether that bothers you or not is up to you.
    Yeah, this. Her campaign against trans people is an ongoing one, rather than some historical baggage. It's not difficult to see why people - especially those affected - can't separate that from the HP universe.

I won't go on about it, but I do agree that it's a reasonable ask to stay away from this if you have any sympathy for trans rights.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It's also a reasonable ask to let someone enjoy the game without labeling them as anti trans, which is what's happening at the minute
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    It's also a reasonable ask to let someone enjoy the game without labeling them as anti trans, which is what's happening at the minute

Yeah. I hope it’s okay that I bought this yesterday and have enjoyed the couple of hours I’ve spent with it.
    Get schwifty.
  • It's also a reasonable ask to let someone enjoy the game without labeling them as anti trans, which is what's happening at the minute
    It depends who you ask. There's a wide range of opinions about it out there among those who are making a point of not buying it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Anyone who holds the opinion that buying this game makes you transphobic is as dumb as fuck
  • It's wholly not ok to say someone is transphobic for playing this game.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    It depends who you ask. There's a wide range of opinions about it out there among those who are making a point of not buying it.

I'll make sure to remind my daughter she's a terf every time she plays the game.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m glad I don’t have to make this moral decision cos Harry Potter sucks balls (or flaps) JK is a hack and the films are boring.
  • Calling her anti-trans is a nonsense too. She's pro women's rights.

There is obviously a conflict of rights when men can just identify as women, and then legally be regarded as female and not male.

Recent events in Scotland show this.

My wife is a big HP fan and is playing this.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Everything gets so polarised these days. Saying that buying the game makes you, personally, a raving transphobe is clearly loony. But (IMO) saying it doesn't make you as supportive of their cause as you might be doesn't seem quite so far-fetched (though even then, there are arguments about personal responsibility/ scope of influence, yaddah yaddah).

And IMO this game is also rather more distant from her transphobia than eg supportively retweeting some of her nonsense.

But that's as a cis straight white guy who doesn't do wizardry, so I will still be keeping my ears open to other opinions, and insulting Tiger where I can.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    He’ll put you in a corner.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also my kids went to Harry Potter Studios last weekend :-(
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Playing the game isn't doing their cause any harm either, is it?
  • Calling her anti-trans is a nonsense too. She's pro women's rights.

There is obviously a conflict of rights when men can just identify as women, and then legally be regarded as female and not male.

That she gets labelled transphobic on this is an absolute travesty and I find her willingness to speak up to preserve female spaces very admirable. I’m grateful that this thread so far is much saner on this topic than most of the gaming world appears to be.

Of course if it’s transphobic to claim it’s not ok for a person with male genitalia who has been convicted of rape to be in a woman’s prison then I’ll happily own the label.
    GT: Knight640
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just throwin' it out there that maybe some unconscious biases are at play here. JK Rowling has used her wealth to fund anti-LGBT activities in the UK. It's pretty reasonable for trans people to call for a boycott of a product that will generate royalties for her that could be used to harm them, whether you personally want to participate or not. I haven't seen any trans people saying you're a transphobe if you play the game. I have seen trans people saying 'Please don't consider yourself a trans ally if you play this game' which, again, I think is reasonable if they're concerned about the royalties being used to harm them.

Kinda surprised to see the vibe of this forum being 'Ooh, trans people are so huffy!' If you were part of a marginalised community that was subject to a damaging campaign of moral panic that was directly affecting the implementation of your human rights, you would probably not be best pleased either.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The people doing the trans cause the most harm are the dopey twats labeling and abusing people for playing a video game
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don’t want to derail any further but as someone who is only passively aware of the issues around trans rights, what I don’t understand is why it only seems to be biologically born men transitioning to women that seem to raise objections from traditional folks. You never hear of people complaining about biologically born women transitioning to male. Or not that I’m aware of. The obvious concerns of male sexual abuse seems to be a key issue but beyond that the feeling that women are having their identify stripped by the trans movement seems just as difficult for them whereas it seems men just go “le shrug” when it’s the other way. I’m assuming there is some conflation with the me too movement going on here that women are already fighting for equality from men in the traditional sense and now maybe feel they are having to fight it against the trans movement. The obvious irony seems to be they are hitting out at another minority rather than trying to find a way to work together to elevate all rights.

That is probably all a load of bollocks but seems to make sense to me.
  • You see both. There’s huge concern about teenage girls transitioning and the reasons for it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can you change the colour of your broomstick in this?
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    Calling her anti-trans is a nonsense too. She's pro women's rights.

That she gets labelled transphobic on this is an absolute travesty and I find her willingness to speak up to preserve female spaces very admirable. I’m grateful that this thread so far is much saner on this topic than most of the gaming world appears to be.

Of course if it’s transphobic to claim it’s not ok for a person with male genitalia who has been convicted of rape to be in a woman’s prison then I’ll happily own the label.

I would politely suggest that the two of you do a bit more reading. What is happening right now is that isolated cases are being used to justify infringing the rights of some of the most vulnerable sections of our society. Those isolated cases can be managed without infringing other trans people’s rights.

JK Rowling may started out raising concerns for women’s rights, but as she has entrenched her position she has targeted trans people, while supporting and promoting known active transphobes. She’s not admirable, she’s a nasty cunt. One of those famous people who likes to weaponise her social media followers.

Yeah the misogyny of the vitriol against gender critical feminists is very noticeable.

As for do more reading, I’m well read on this issue

Nothing about this is transphobic. https://www.jkrowling.com/opinions/j-k-rowling-writes-about-her-reasons-for-speaking-out-on-sex-and-gender-issues/

I’ll bow out here but happy to engage further in another thread if there’s an appropriate one and you’d like too.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    Don’t want to derail any further but as someone who is only passively aware of the issues around trans rights, what I don’t understand is why it only seems to be biologically born men transitioning to women that seem to raise objections from traditional folks. You never hear of people complaining about biologically born women transitioning to male. Or not that I’m aware of. The obvious concerns of male sexual abuse seems to be a key issue but beyond that the feeling that women are having their identify stripped by the trans movement seems just as difficult for them whereas it seems men just go “le shrug” when it’s the other way. I’m assuming there is some conflation with the me too movement going on here that women are already fighting for equality from men in the traditional sense and now maybe feel they are having to fight it against the trans movement. The obvious irony seems to be they are hitting out at another minority rather than trying to find a way to work together to elevate all rights.

That is probably all a load of bollocks but seems to make sense to me.

In terms of it not making logical sense, it's because it's not and has never been about trans people - it's about right-wing organisations in the US seeing trans people as a wedge issue they can attempt to use as a 'divide and conquer' thing - by delegitimising trans people they can then move on to attempt to roll back LGBT rights more broadly. The gender critical movement has collaborated with and been funded by these organisations for a long time.

But I think there's also an aspect of transphobia only really being justifiable in people's minds if in their heads the rights of trans people are being played off against the rights of someone else, like women. There's a particular kind of obsessed person that spends all day on social media posting gender critical stuff and don't really seem to have thoughts and a life outside of it and I can only assume it's because this perceived conflict between trans and women's rights has lured them into a mental rabbithole they can't escape from.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I look forward to 50 pages of this and several flounces within the week
  • JonB wrote:
    I'll make sure to remind my daughter she's a terf every time she plays the game.
    Where the hell did that come from? Why did you quote me?
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!