Thread 101: Metroidvaniae
  • Okay I'm about to taste my own medicine. Ahem. Hollow Knight was shite.
    yeah. i mean, shite is prob harsh in the context of a well made game, but i don't get the love at all. dull and boring would be my judgement
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • It's got all the best bits from Super Metroid but controls way better. Also SM is a little too easy. Combat in HK is hard but fair. Plus it has the souls thing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I find that a really astonishing attitude. Don’t mean that in a shitty way but writing off nearly all contemporary games because of that staunch view is madness. We all like what we like ofc but that’s just dismissing like nearly all video games of the past two decades. Admire the strong stance but it’s not for me.

It's not a staunch view - well - OK - maybe it is.

I've tried playing mainstream modern games (well - OK - back in the PS2/GC era) and as soon as a cut scene pops up I inwardly die a little bit. It comes across as a product of a frustrated film maker and it just isn't for me. Particularly with narrative led games, there are times I will leave a game and on returning to it after a few days have no notion of what I was doing. I suppose the fact that I have left it for a time means I haven't found it engaging. I much prefer reading a book or watching a film to playing that type of game. 

Ultimately with modern environmental games I get stuck running around the same small number of locations until I stumble upon something and see something I've missed. It just turns me off.  I can't handle twin stick controls in first person games either.  Last FPS I played was Doom 2 and I enjoyed it immensely. A big factor was the level design but also the fact that I didn't have to look up and down.  I have tried playing with keyboard and mouse and I was able to handle that fine but again I just can't be arsed roaming around looking for a key or the macguffin to progress.

I'm still stuck in the past I suppose , preferring the arcade style experience. I get pleasure out of grinding a level in a shmup over and over again until I have it beat. 

I play to feel - it's a feeling I get with certain types of game - feeling the rhythm of a level that one usually only gets with repetition.   I remember one of the levels in HOTD : Overkill - think it was in the hospital and it had a superb sense of rhythm and timing - felt great.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    I find that a really astonishing attitude. Don’t mean that in a shitty way but writing off nearly all contemporary games because of that staunch view is madness. We all like what we like ofc but that’s just dismissing like nearly all video games of the past two decades. Admire the strong stance but it’s not for me.
    It's not a staunch view - well - OK - maybe it is. I've tried playing mainstream modern games (well - OK - back in the PS2/GC era) and as soon as a cut scene pops up I inwardly die a little bit. It comes across as a product of a frustrated film maker and it just isn't for me. Particularly with narrative led games, there are times I will leave a game and on returning to it after a few days have no notion of what I was doing. I suppose the fact that I have left it for a time means I haven't found it engaging. I much prefer reading a book or watching a film to playing that type of game.  Ultimately with modern environmental games I get stuck running around the same small number of locations until I stumble upon something and see something I've missed. It just turns me off.  I can't handle twin stick controls in first person games either.  Last FPS I played was Doom 2 and I enjoyed it immensely. A big factor was the level design but also the fact that I didn't have to look up and down.  I have tried playing with keyboard and mouse and I was able to handle that fine but again I just can't be arsed roaming around looking for a key or the macguffin to progress. I'm still stuck in the past I suppose , preferring the arcade style experience. I get pleasure out of grinding a level in a shmup over and over again until I have it beat.

i deffo understand this view and feel similarly. not ALL narrative games though, and those that do it well can help elevate things. but i have very little patience for games with lots/long cutscenes and or games that require lots of talking to random people in the hopes of triggering the next thing.
    i'm not a schmup fan either but deffo still like games to be about 'arcade' gameplay first and foremost. too many modern games feel padded out with busy work and grinding for my tastes.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Davy I assume you've played the two brilliant Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games?

Just ignore Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and you'll be grand.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm convinced I've missed out on some great experiences but we can't have it all.
    Davy I assume you've played the two brilliant Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon games? Just ignore Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and you'll be grand.

Those linear CVanias?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    quick google...

Oh - didn't know about these!

I've still got Rondo of Blood to complete too.
  • Re: HK. Art direction didn't grab me, felt the jumping was too floaty, combat not chunky enough, backtracking & exploration felt more a chore than a wonder. Just didn't like, never felt compelled to go back after about 4-6hrs maybe?

I'm being hyperbolic with "shite", it's just not amazing like folk say, imo.
  • Ori is HK but with a art direction and visual style I actually like.
  • Why has the thread title got an 'e' at the end?
    Keep reading it like its the bit they change each episode in the Animaniacs theme tune.

We're Animany
    Totally Insaney
    Metroidvany
    Animaniacs!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Daughter#2 has Ori for Switch - looks gorgeous.
  • *Presses buzzer*

"Isaac Newton?"
  • davyK wrote:

It's a wonderful game too. Very, very good platforming controls. Almost undeniably the best actual platforming in the MV genre, I'd say.
  • I thought it said Metroidvanaise at first.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    davyK wrote:

It's a wonderful game too. Very, very good platforming controls. Almost undeniably the best actual platforming in the MV genre, I'd say.

Metroid Dread wins that accolade
  • Forgot about that. It doesn't, but it's closer than most.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Why has the thread title got an 'e' at the end?
    Keep reading it like its the bit they change each episode in the Animaniacs theme tune.

We're Animany
    Totally Insaney
    Metroidvany
    Animaniacs!

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_declension#First_declension_(a_stems)
  • The robots in Dread were rubbish. Good game though.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

Dumb it down a bit. Some of us went to state school.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:

Let's not get bogged down in, erm, small trivial details.  (Wish there was a word for that.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Metroid Dread isn't a Metroidvania, it's just a Metroid.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • More a mint choc chip man myself.
  • Vanianetta is the best of both worlds. Exploration and posh tits.
  • davyK wrote:

I've tried playing mainstream modern games (well - OK - back in the PS2/GC era) and as soon as a cut scene pops up I inwardly die a little bit. It comes across as a product of a frustrated film maker and it just isn't for me. Particularly with narrative led games, there are times I will leave a game and on returning to it after a few days have no notion of what I was doing. I suppose the fact that I have left it for a time means I haven't found it engaging. I much prefer reading a book or watching a film to playing that type of game. 

Ultimately with modern environmental games I get stuck running around the same small number of locations until I stumble upon something and see something I've missed. It just turns me off.  I can't handle twin stick controls in first person games either.  Last FPS I played was Doom 2 and I enjoyed it immensely. A big factor was the level design but also the fact that I didn't have to look up and down.  I have tried playing with keyboard and mouse and I was able to handle that fine but again I just can't be arsed roaming around looking for a key or the macguffin to progress.

I'm still stuck in the past I suppose , preferring the arcade style experience. I get pleasure out of grinding a level in a shmup over and over again until I have it beat. 

I play to feel - it's a feeling I get with certain types of game - feeling the rhythm of a level that one usually only gets with repetition.   I remember one of the levels in HOTD : Overkill - think it was in the hospital and it had a superb sense of rhythm and timing - felt great.

Glad you didn’t take it as me having a dig - it’s just the complete opposite to how I approach stuff. I love reading about people’s passionate niches.
  • davyK wrote:

Glad you didn’t take it as me having a dig - it’s just the complete opposite to how I approach stuff. I love reading about people’s passionate niches.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!