Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
  • An ok. Thanks, I’ll look for it. Just assumed preinstelling would just launch a demo.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Played to the first boss, fucking fuck me. I'll have another go (or 20) at it another day but could literally be the end point for me, lol
    Yeah, it's a bit of a spike. The rest of the demo isn't that hard.
  • JonB wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Played to the first boss, fucking fuck me. I'll have another go (or 20) at it another day but could literally be the end point for me, lol

I might have to grind out the village if I want another go. It took me a while to
    Spoiler:
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    I might have to grind out the village if I want another go. It took me a while to
    Spoiler:
    The slightly good news is that
    Spoiler:
  • Well at least that's something!
  • digi wrote:
    DrewMerson wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    There's obviously a lot of Nioh still in there…
    This sentence threw me, because I’ve been making a mistake in my head. Every time I read Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty, I thought it was that game being developed in China, which I now realise is called Black Myth: Wukong. That explains why it’s out soon, and in Game Pass, because I didn’t imagine either thing could be the case for the other game.
    b0r1s wrote:
    Same. Not in so much of a rush to try it now.

I still thought it was till I read this, ffs!

Me too.
  • Despite not being Wukong, and not developed in China, Wo Long is still based on Chinese history, so anyone looking for some Three Kingdoms goodness could do worse than give it a look.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gave the demo an hour, had a couple of bashes at the boss. I'm not really feeling it, I'm sure I took to Nioh 2 a lot faster than this. Not sure I've got the combat down, I seem to be having more joy spamming the quick attack to stagger him than anything else, but it's doing pitiful damage. Need to use parry more.

Having AI dickhead in there "helping" really only upsets the flow and makes it harder to learn attacks and openings. Like, boss guy will wind up for a swing and I'll prepare to parry, only for dopey, who's off screen, to knock him out of the animation for a split second before the boss is back on the attack again while I'm still trying to work out what's happening. Plus the chatter is getting on my tits when I'm trying to concentrate. Irritating
  • I don't know if it's there at the start, but you get an item called willow branch that you can use to send your AI partner away. I've found some bosses easier without the help.
  • Well reader, I finally fucking got him. Thank God. I basically told myself if I hadn't done it by the time I was stopping playing tonight then I wasn't going to bother with the game at all! Looks like I'll keep playing it (until next boss block).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Knew it.

Had a quick glance at the pros and cons. I knew the loot would be cack from Nioh, a bazillion variants of the same gear. Surprised the story hasn't got much going for it though, seemed decent from the demo. I'll have a proper read later, cheers
  • JonB wrote:
    Reads like an
    Spoiler:
    It is as well: https://www.gamesradar.com/wo-long-fallen-dynasty-review/

Splendidly helpful review.  I may even give this a try, since it's apparently on GP.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    The last paragraph is absolutely stinking, great work
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    If this bird brain useless cunt says he will protect me from further harm as he stands and watches me receive the killing blow I might have to join up with the bad guys
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    You know what does me, the relentless barrage of attacks when I'm low health. Don't even get a chance to take a swing and heal
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Got the twat despite getting stuck in the corner for a bit while he raged out. Camera issues are a staple of the genre
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Another diabolical PC port by the looks of it, devs on a roll this year. Nearlly every PC port has been rubbish.
  • Well you would be a PC Wanker wouldn't you ;)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Jolly coop forever!
  • Coop does seem decent, although it puts you back at whatever flag you called the person in at I think? But there isn't any auto booting like Elden Ring once you kill a boss.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Coop does seem decent

Thanks Matty, love you too.
  • I played a decent chunk of this at the weekend, think I am about two-thirds/three-quarters of the way through.

It's... fine. I really wish I liked it more, but it's got a nasty habit of chucking bosses and enemies at you that have some really nasty critical attacks, including one boss who had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it tell for a near-instant connect grab that then forces you to watch an animation that looks like it's over before he continues to batter you a few more times and eats your whole health bar. 

When the fight is a tense back and forth, the spirit gauge stuff really works, but other times it's OHKO grabs and flying enemies who avoid reprisal which makes you wonder why the mechanic is there.  A shame that the core mechanic feels so underutilized at times, and out of boss fights it rarely comes up. 

Also the loot, the gear, the stats, so many numbers, the lack of any meaningful quality of life inventory stuff that Nioh 2 had nailed – shocking stuff. Sekiro really showed why a lack of ambiguity is really important in a game about making quick reactions, just gimme hard facts.

I'll probably still plug away and finish it, because I like the Battle/Marking Flag system encouraging exploration, but it does feel like maybe ten too many systems packed into a game that could have done with focussing on just the core mechanic.
  • flYYNGe.gif
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Had a few hours on Friday. The next two bosses after the first boss were a doddle, both down first time, unheard of for me.

Still don't think I have a good feel for the flow of combat despite that. Spamming light attack to stun lock the first boss then pop off a heavy or two seemed to be the way to go. Obviously parrying is massive. Magic seems very weak early doors, even against standard enemies
  • About all magic is good for, at least that I've found, is turning off buffs in certain fights - water beats fire and all that.

The main trick of the combat is you'll nearly always want to be holding block, because most attacks don't really drain your spirit much. Deflect when it's safe and you'll deal spirit gauge damage, and earn a decent chunk of spirit in return. 

Light attacks are used to build your own spirit up - providing a buffer for blocking, and to power up your heavy attacks - when you're at full gauge, a heavy attack will take off about a third/half of a boss's max spirit gauge, and then a few light attacks will let you fill up the reminder for an easy critical.

It's a clever tug of war resource system, so it's a shame a lot of bosses are big beasties that basically ignore that, or ruin the flow by having attacks that are so fast and damaging that they either OHKO you or interrupt the back and forth to a massive degree.
  • i had a go at this, got to the first boss, took several attempts and eventually beat him, only for him to have a 2nd phase and killed me immediately.
    turned it off and not sure i'll go back...obvs an element of 'git gud' but i wasn't really feeling the combat at best of times and struggled to get timing right on the parry. holding block and double tapping parry in the hope you either get the parry or dodge just made the whole thing a bit boring, and trying to be more 'skilful' well i just failed at that! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Worth trying to get your equip load down to green - makes deflecting a little easier I've found. 

Also want to say that despite the fact HiFi Rush came out this year, Wo Long has gone above and beyond to claim the coveted spot of "worst jump in a videogame 2023".

Truly a shocking feeling hop.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!