Has anyone played…?
  • I've just praised Cinty for his indie plays in another thread and now it looks like I was just returning compliments.
  • That Buried Treaure link looks perfect, thanks.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've just praised Cinty for his indie plays in another thread and now it looks like I was just returning compliments.

It's all good - genius knows genius. 
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    That Buried Treaure link looks perfect, thanks.

Yeah, he's kinda sporadic with his posts due to work and life etc. - some months get 5 games, other times he'll go a month between reviews. But, it's a cool site and it's where I've found a bunch of genuinely cool little games to play - he sung the praises of Ctrl Alt Ego before I saw anyone else do so, for example.
  • I've got one and a half free days to play whatever I want (in your face, uncle). The Haiku the Robot write up on that website just pushed it to the top of the queue, will start after a coffee.
  • I already had it in my head that you'd played Haiku, but then i realised i was probably thinking of ElecHead which my brain keeps conflating with it, for some reason.
  • Someone on here played it. Reg maybe.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Moot, Ghosts and Goblins Resurrection? Cheap enough on the Xbox store for me to bite. I’m guessing you have played it?

£9 well spent?
  • Moot likes it, iirc. I also do. 9 quid is a fair price for it, imo, though it lacks the variety of Ultimate - it’s much more in line with the traditional GnG games.
  • Really liked it, yep.

There's a JonB review out there too, he also enjoyed.  If you know how nasty GnG can be and fancy a bit more anyway you can't go wrong really.
  • Anyone played Rusted Moss?

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm hadn't heard of it. Not totally convinced by the vid, looks very floaty...
  • Yeah, I thought the same.  It's popped up in a couple of best of 2023 indie lists I've been reading though.
  • Also it might not be suited to pad controls.  Coming to consoles though.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Hmm hadn't heard of it. Not totally convinced by the vid, looks very floaty...

It is a bit floaty, though i'd argue the game justifies it as there's a fair amount of flinging via the hook, not just left to right, but intentionally hooking and dropping down to fling yourself back up.

I haven't played that much of it, but it's a decent little metroidvania and combat is full twin-stick fun. 

I can dig deeper into it, if anyone would like, though that might be a while yet - can say it's probably worth a punt, especially if on sale.
  • No rush because I've just finished one grappling hook side scroller (Gravity Circuit) and I'm planning to carry on with another soonish (Sanabi).  I do like swinging from the ceiling in 2D.
  • Can someone give me a quick summary of what Itch.io is all about please?  I know it's an independent/community games hub, but are they all for PC or will some of them work on mobile phones?  Do the games ever get console ports or are they always Itch.io exclusive?  Got my eye on a game called Incident at Grove Lake and I'm trying to work out if I've got a viable way of playing it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's a mix. Some is web stuff which is platform free. Some stuff is even playdate. Some may get console ports. Quality and length etc all over the place.
  • Ta.  Tilly's got an Acer Chromebook, would itch.io stuff be downloadable for that or would it have to run on old school PC architecture?
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Can someone give me a quick summary of what Itch.io is all about please?  I know it's an independent/community games hub, but are they all for PC or will some of them work on mobile phones?  Do the games ever get console ports or are they always Itch.io exclusive?  Got my eye on a game called Incident at Grove Lake and I'm trying to work out if I've got a viable way of playing it.

It's primarily PC, but there are mobile games. A bunch of Playdate games also get sold there. Gameboy games too.

Beyond videogames, it's also popular for selling tabletop RPG systems, game development assets...

So, what's the deal with it? Best way to understand it is as a very indie market - barrier of entry is far lower than Steam, so you're much more likely to get super weird, art-house experimental stuff there. It also means that polish / overall quality can be a bit...all over the place. It's Esty, eBay - make a thing, share a thing, sell a thing.

It's super indie and you'll get a bunch of Liberal Leftie bundles there. You can get massive bundles of 100+ "games" for like 10 bucks every so often, but there's probably only gonna be a handful of things of interest in there and you'll need to dig. A good 6-10 of the titles I reviewed last year came from itch.io bundles, including Froggy's Battle.
  • A treasure trove of moot-em-ups
  • You fools. Moot wasn't supposed to know about itch.io
  • Just browsing now.  I like my Poundland grub but some of these look like the remains of a Billy Bear wrap that's been found floating in a canal.
  • There's bound to be some gold here though......
  • I've only looked at it a few times over the years. Its sub switch eshop in the overall rankings. Seemed like the sort of place where game dev students upload their final year dissertation projects.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Ta.  Tilly's got an Acer Chromebook, would itch.io stuff be downloadable for that or would it have to run on old school PC architecture?

Some are downloadable windows only, some are downloadable for Linux, some are in-browser. It's a total mix of everything.
  • A 'has anyone played?', coupled with an odd recommendation for a game I haven't played.

While searching for hidden gems Phenotopia: Awakening is one that pops up in the chats fairly regularly. It reviewed reasonably well, but it's one of those games where people who love it seem to go the extra mile to properly gush about it. From what I can tell it's a retro styled action RPG with Metroidvania elements that takes plenty of inspiration from Zelda II. Apparently the platforming is tight and the music is incredible.

So why haven't I bought it? It's a whopper. 33hrs to mainline and a frankly ridiculous 71.5hrs for completionists, according to HLTB.

Not sure who I'd suggest might like this. ERE maybe, possibly an Elf or a Cinty. It's £6.49 on Switch at the mo, which is 75% off. I might buy it but realistically I know it's too much game for me. I've read a lot about it and it does seem to be a genuine under the radar beauty though, so perhaps someone here will give it a crack (or already has?)
  • I give up trying to post the trailer.  All my usual techniques aren't working.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    A 'has anyone played?', coupled with an odd recommendation for a game I haven't played. While searching for hidden gems Phenotopia: Awakening is one that pops up in the chats fairly regularly. It reviewed reasonably well, but it's one of those games where people who love it seem to go the extra mile to properly gush about it. From what I can tell it's a retro styled action RPG with Metroidvania elements that takes plenty of inspiration from Zelda II. Apparently the platforming is tight and the music is incredible. So why haven't I bought it? It's a whopper. 33hrs to mainline and a frankly ridiculous 71.5hrs for completionists, according to HLTB. Not sure who I'd suggest might like this. ERE maybe, possibly an Elf or a Cinty. It's £6.49 on Switch at the mo, which is 75% off. I might buy it but realistically I know it's too much game for me. I've read a lot about it and it does seem to be a genuine under the radar beauty though, so perhaps someone here will give it a crack (or already has?)

Hello!

Yeah, this is up my alley for sure.
  • Good good. Finish it in the next 4 days and report back pls, I don't want to miss the discount.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!