regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This weekend I'm going to scour through the posts and do an update. Aware I haven't yet.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also I'm going to download The Finals. Seems a laser targeted reg game.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This weekend I'm going to scour through the posts and do an update. Aware I haven't yet.

I've added games on the bottom of my post as a reminder to myself, but not changed the rankings at all. I follow rules, thank you and please punish rule breakers for me k thx.
  • Cyberpunk should be allowed since the 2.0 update.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • If shogun showdown isn’t in your top 5 you are doing it wrong
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That's Spiderman 2 100%Ed. The best 9/10 of the year.
  • 1 Darkest Dungeon 2
    2 Street Fighter 6
    3 Baldurs Gate 3
    4 Zelda: TOTK
    5 Wario Ware: Move it
  • DD2, yes. I could've spent a good chunk of the year just on that if I didn't have to move on to other stuff.
  • Silk song
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    That's Spiderman 2 100%Ed. The best 9/10 of the year.

Oh wow, you like it more than Mario Wonder.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Nice to see Dredge in there.
    Its been a great year for gaming but hasn't really aligned to my tastes or what I currently want to play and what has has been too compromised for me to want to give it points so I wont be doing a list. If I was Dredge would be on it for sure though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Everything not on that list must be pretty shite if Venba is at no. 20.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Aye that's them being woke
  • I played and enjoyed it but didn't consider it for my top 10.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Wokeba
  • re Alan Wake 2 "Channelling The X-Files, True Detective, The Silence of the Lambs and Twin Peak".  
    "Tiresomely re-hashing" would be more accurate phrasing

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I dunno you're saying a lot of my happy things in that sentence
  • Yeah, I wasn't interested until I read that! :-D
  • In 2023 I am expecting something a bit more original

• Yeah, I wasn't interested until I read that! :-D

Likewise, makes it sound pretty great to me!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Aargh, I guess I better come up with a list.  Lots I haven't played this year, but of the ones I have, I'll go with...

1). Baldur's Gate 3 - literally the only thing I played for nearly 4 months.  It was sometimes wonky, acting on choices I'd not made yet, or occasionally taking insane amounts of time to decide that, on reflection it won't move that character anyway...  I didn't care. I'm a slave to a game with a story, and this mostly pulled off the illusion of allowing me to feel like I was crafting my own.  Even as I was inevitably funnelled towards a conclusion there's was enough strange invention, and indulgence of my whims, to leave me giddy.  The first and almost certainly last game to allow me to leave a thieves guild under the control of miniature giant space hamster.

2) Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom -  A whole different kind of invention was possible here. Zelda's always been an isolated experience. None of the bandying about with your chatty mates, like Baldur's Gate - but instead you could set off in any direction you wished, and just see what was waiting.  You could glue random shit together, and use mountains as lifts. It felt like there were a hundred ways to kill a Moblin, and all of them were fun.  Somehow though, it all became a bit much towards the end.  Perhaps it was the familiarity, perhaps I just spent too long in the dark, unforgiving underground - but ultimately it wasn't quite the joy that BotW had been before it. Had its predecessor not existed would I have put it first on this list?  Maybe...

3) Super Mario Wonder - I'll confess I haven't finished this yet.  I've been playing it with my wife - which alters the experience greatly.  Whilst the previous two entries have been pretty much solo efforts (despite BG3's attempts to emulate company) the majority of joy from this has been discovering stuff together.  Does it mean I haven't been able to go through meticulously picking up every last secret yet?  Sure - but I've enjoyed doing it this way so much more.

4) Humanity -  I know lots of you bounced off this, and I think I get why.  It feels quite detached, quite clinical.  The pitch "Lemmings with humans" turns out to be wildly misleading.  (The humans, for starters, are infinite - so their deaths are not felt in the same way).  Instead it's a curious mixture of genres - chiefly puzzles for sure, but there's a bit of real time strategy in there, and even some gentle platforming. At first I felt it had slight delusions of grandeur - pitching itself as something more than it really is - but by the end it had somehow managed to become what it claimed. A strange, distant, yet wonderful, rumination on what makes us the what we are. 

5). Synapse - A VR shooter (of sorts) that doesn't make me throw up, and instead has me lurching around my living room wrecking merry havoc.  Stylish, and ridiculous - the shooting quickly gives way to more satisfying force powers, so that you're grabbing your enemies and hurling them around the room with glee. If you've ever vaguely enjoyed such powers in video games using a regular controller, I can heartily recommend doing it in VR.  Literally juggling bad guys (almost) never gets boring.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    In 2023 I am expecting something a bit more original

There are bits of it that are more original than anything else I've played in years, so this is an odd take
  • Lot of really special games this year, including a bunch I never got round to that could have troubled the list (e,g Armored Core 6), but in the end I have gone with the following line-up:

List Done. 
    1. Baldur's Gate 3 (PC / PS5)
    2. Dotage (PC)
    3. Slay the Princess (PC)
    4. Pistol Whip (PSVR2)
    5. Direct Drive (Playdate)

6. Lunacid (PC)
    7. Against the Storm (PC)
    8. Shadows of Doubt (PC)
    9. Resident Evil 4 VR (PSVR2)
    10. Final Fantasy XVI (PS5) 

Just missed out:
    Synapse (PSVR2)
    The Light Brigade (PSVR2)
    Shogun Showdown (PC) 
    Brotato (PC)
    Resident Evil Village VR (PSVR2)
    El Paso, Elsewhere (PC)
  • Dotage is on my list of things to play/buy, but it's a long list. I really need to play more games next year that aren't slay the spire.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Apologies that I haven't gone through this yet. Will do by end of the week.
  • Really stumped on things I've played that came out this year. Looks like an honest 1-2 of TotK and FM2024. Marvel Snap is probably third in terms of hours.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Thought we were going to get a shout out for 1-2 switch 2 there
  • This has been a garbage year for videogames. Lack of beaches, in particular.

Pikmin 4, was that this year? But still haven't finished it. It had a good beach level, though, with tidal mechanics. I need to get around to playing Dredge and/or Dave the Diver!

TotK is the best DLC of the year...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!