Let's make a gaming PC
  • Kow wrote:
    Might just go with a 3070 so. It's what I've been eyeing up since last year.

They're going for £370-420ish on ebay atm, not sure if right now is the absolute best time to buy but with the pound going loopy and cryptominers dumping their cards it's probably not too bad. I was considering getting a 3080 but I figure the potential loss with a cheaper card is lower, so less risk. Might get some better deals once the new cards launch but I didn't fancy waiting.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Pretty sure that card draws 400w as well under load! My 3070 is more than enough for 1440p gaming.

Yeah it seems like you want an 850w PSU as a minimum for the 4090.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My fecking 2080ti still smashes the arse off 1440 and 1080. These 4090s and stuff are fore the lunatics that have to have 4k and everything Ultra regardless.
  • DLSS and sharpening tech is keeping older cards relevant for longer too, so I wouldn't be surprised if quite a lot of people don't feel that inclined to upgrade. Something like a 2x/3x jump in raytracing performance would be a substantial leap and might convince more folk.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    They can throw all the fancy numbers at me they want, but the cost is still the cost, and that's the biggest reason I'll be say no ta.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The picture of the graphics card next to the PS5 is fucking mental.

You can get M.2 drives that look like sticks of baskar from The Mandalorian. It'd go well with that Star Wars themed case. It'd make sure you never get laid again, but it seems worth it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I am really struggling to talk myself down from a 4080 12gb. I'm closer to talking myself up to the 4080 16gb :S

I'm currently using a 1070, and it's ok for 1080, but it's no-where near good enough to run at 4k on the big telly. More importantly, it doesn't have HDMI 2.1, so I can't use the VRR on my TV.

Anyway. GPUs. Excited. Going to spend a holiday's worth of money on it and not tell my other half.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you're going for 4080 isn't it just worth the bump up to 4090? You're already in silly price ranges at that point
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also you don't need 4k for Trials lololol
  • If you're going for 4080 isn't it just worth the bump up to 4090? You're already in silly price ranges at that point

There's a massive difference between £850 and £1600 (not sure if I'm remembering those prices correctly). The only reason I'd end up spending the £1,200 (or is it £1,150) on the 'actually a 4080' 16gb model is if I get a massive unexpected and unexplained pay rise. You never know.

Also - the 4090 is fucking massive and I'd need a new case that I wouldn't be able to hide.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    call yourself a gamer voices what is that attitude smh
  • This does seem to be a bit of a breaking point for the size of Nvidia GPUs, doesn't it? That 4090 is utterly ridiculous, so unless the trend bucks the 5090 will be.... more unacceptable?

I'm also somewhat hopeful that, with the AMD announcement on 3 November, Nvidia will panic and reduce prices. Not likely given what the rumours have been about silicon prices.

Honestly, I'll still end up getting the Nvidia card even if the AMD card is cheaper, so i can get rid of censorship in videos for raytracing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I doubt they'll reduce, that difficulty in getting the 30 series will have nerds paying any price

Plus 4080/90 seem an actual leap in comparison to the meh 30 series.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Plus AMD are a bit shit.
  • I reckon the actual difference between a 3080 and a 4080 12gb will be about 20% (excluding the new DLSS 3.0 smoothing thing). Basically - the same performance per £, which is pretty shit for a new generation of cards.

Edit: I've based this on a comparison of the clock speeds and cuda cores. The 4080 12gb does look way better in terms of ray tracing and AI stuff, but unless the architecture is stupidly better, it's not going to be that much of an improvement for normal rasterized graphics.

I'd love to be wrong.

Edit: Also bear in mind I am pulling 20% out of my arse. I think it's 33% if you do the maths and assume no improvement in architecture.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    DLSS 3.0 is the big seller, they know what they're doing. We'll prob see less and less incremental power in the future but much better tech gubbins tied to a series.

Similar to the CPU slowdown of advancements that was had. My 9700k still bosses everything without sweat and it's about five years old now
  • Plus AMD are a bit shit.

Chiplets though right... might fix amd.
  • Plus AMD are a bit shit.

Not really -

4K-p.webp

perfperwatt.png
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    They're the Linux of gpus
  • Nah some kind of Mac/Windows comparison would be more apt perhaps. They've been very competitive and it seems like they will continue to be, which is great news for everyone.
  • I think what that doesn't show, is the strength of dlss 2.0 and ray tracing. Yes - they're 'nice to haves', but it hurts to miss out when paying so much. It's also hard to put a price on those extras.
  • Sure and AMD will likely improve in those areas in subsequent gens. Keep in mind they do have sharpening right now which isn't too bad if you want more FPS at hi res.

The point was to show that they are actually quite competitive right now in terms of pure rasterised FPS and perf/watt and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. If you find a good deal on a 6800 etc it might be worth biting if you need an upgrade, and you can decide how much DLSS and the faster RT are worth to you and compare with the Nvidia equivalents. I've seen plenty of used AMD cards getting sold too atm.

Intel are the ones that a bit shit in GPUs right now -

• We will see with Intel. For the love of god don't buy one now, but maybe in a year... or two.

I really hope AMD smash it in 3 November. I reckon they might. Perhaps that's why the RTX 4090 is so stupid.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I think my computer is done.

Well, the box itself. Everything is seated, everything is wired up.

"Everything", as far as I can tell.

Tomorrow I'll try connecting the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, see if it POSTs.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Exciting!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I look forward to the magic blue smoke coming out, and crying a little.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    IMG-3966.jpg
    All the glowy bits are glowing.

IMG-3967.jpg
    Even the new mouse (right) and keyboard.

IMG-3968.jpg
    Nothing. Shit.

IMG-3969.jpg
    Wait, wrong HDMI port. Swish.

IMG-3970.jpg
    Fucking thing even knows the date and time, despite not being online or having been told. Dark sorcery.

All that's left to do now is put Windows on it. Oh, and figure out why my Corsair fans aren't spinning. But for now...
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47s2czsw88snfl5bycoyc93xerjo9l9rclfuid0r16&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
    ...nothin' but net.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and in case anyone can see it... the little red error light next to the RAM is just saying there's no OS installed. The BIOS can see all my hardware.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Woo hoo!

Don’t forget to switch on XMP once everything else is running if your MB is compatible.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-enable-xmp-1/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!