Tomb Raider 1-3 Remaster
  • Bob wrote:
    Unfortunately the new control scheme sounds terrible and I'm not sure how well the original grid based d-pad controls would stand up today.. Maybe in when it's a chalice but it doesn't sound like a full price purchase. Kotaku have ripped it a new one.

You understand how they work, so you'll be fine with them.

New controls I'm not sure.
  • Sold on this. Dunno how the clunky movement will hold up but it was always about the atmosphere anyways.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The reviewer in that video seems happy with either scheme.

Wasn't a game I got into. I had Anniversary for PS2 and it was nice but it was the usual experience for me what that genre - wandered about the same locations missing something. Got bored. Abandoned.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I don't think I feel any need to replay these. I enjoyed the reboots well enough, that'll do me tbh...
  • Gonna try this with a 2hr Steam refund in mind. I always forget about the 2hr thing.
  • Played all three back in the day. They were my first steps into 3D gaming along with Zelda Ocarina of Time. I loved them for their atmosphere mainly, finding the gameplay mechanics and puzzles relatively rudimentary even then but absolutely fine for exploring new digital spaces. Not sure I could stomach a play through of any of them again, although continuous saves would help, but definitely all three games retain a cherished place in my gaming memories of that time when we first started exploring 3D spaces.
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Apparently there’s no autosave
    The Forum Herald™
  • Never played these at release, loved the recent trilogy, saw a video of these and could not be less interested if I tried.
  • Christ its nostalgic. I think I love it but I'm not sure. 

The modern controls are confusing and the old controls are awkward, and it's all about the controls. I don't think you could design a modern game like this because of the controls, but the levels are so brilliantly built around them. 

The atmosphere is as good as I remembered. Better than most modern games and I think it's the sound, or lack of. It's all about the echos of footsteps and an absence of musical score. It sounds like it should, not like a movie thinks it should. Games were a bit braver back then.

It looks great - tastefully done and not overdone. Lighting is excellent. It looks kinda blocky but that's the nature of the puzzles. If that was disguised it'd be hard as fuck. It is hard but you just have to rewire your brain. I got stuck on the second door because I was looking for something to open it with. There isn't anything to open it with, which made me smile.

Can't tell if I'm going to think it's the best thing ever and da yoof are missing out, or they're right and it's just frustrating. It's certainly different to anything I've played since, erm, this.
  • This is the game I've been waiting my entire life for.
  • Gonna hdr the hell out of this.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!