Digital Detox/Dumbdown
  • poprock wrote:
    Do restaurants still do colouring in sheets for kids? That was definitely the done thing pre-smartphones.

When I was in the UK in Feb I went out with my sister in law and their kids, and they were offered colouring sheets. So, some places still do them at least.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They do. Though tablets seem to be a popular solution. I can see the logic in it - I remember the luxury of getting peace to eat a meal in a restaurant at that time in my life.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Personally, I always have my phone out when I'm out with people as well, so I can't really expect my kid to not have any screens around him. If people are looking at a phone when they're out somewhere with you then maybe you're to blame too. Some people I just can't pay attention to continuously. And I don't expect others to do the same either. It seems kind of arrogant to think if you're with me you must pay complete attention to me. I don't see any point in banning devices at the table. In fact, the idea of everybody sitting around the table and just talking to each other is fairly horrible to me. Just let me watch tv with my dinner.
  • I don't see much issue with young kids being given tablets to entertain them once they've finished eating. Going out for a meal is a much longer event than eating at home.
    As long as it isn't blaring sound out of course, headphones or muted.

Teenagers and adults should be able to put them away for the length of a meal out. Couldn't give a fuck what strangers do but if someone is on their phone all the time when I'm out with them I'm probably not going to bother again.

At home, no screens at the table is perfectly reasonable for all ages.
  • Kow wrote:
    It seems kind of arrogant to think if you're with me you must pay complete attention to me
    Fuck off home then. Why did you bother coming?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    To bask in your social skills?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can talk to people all day but if at some moments I check my phone or send a message or post on here, so what?
  • I don't think a quick glance is what we are talking about here is it?

Even then, would the world explode if you just kept your phone in your pocket and engaged with the people you are with?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can engage perfectly but I can avert my gaze occasionally too. I think what's genuinely rude is demanding others interact with you on your terms.
  • I'm backing Kow here.
  • Kow wrote:
    I can talk to people all day but if at some moments I check my phone or send a message or post on here, so what?

Good for you! I didn't want this thread to get all judgy, it was more about how to implement a dumbdown for people who are interested in the idea.

Just been out on the bike. No Strava. No tracking. No problem!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think the idea of digital reduction is great, we're all a bit addicted most likely. But some people (not here maybe) think they can lay down the law for everyone. Put away your phone if you're talking to me. No, fuck you. Be more interesting and I might.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Personally, I always have my phone out when I'm out with people as well, so I can't really expect my kid to not have any screens around him. If people are looking at a phone when they're out somewhere with you then maybe you're to blame too. Some people I just can't pay attention to continuously. And I don't expect others to do the same either. It seems kind of arrogant to think if you're with me you must pay complete attention to me. I don't see any point in banning devices at the table. In fact, the idea of everybody sitting around the table and just talking to each other is fairly horrible to me. Just let me watch tv with my dinner.

We have a fundamental difference of opinion on that. People in the room have priority in my book.  Only exception is if you are waiting on a highly significant call/message , and I mean significant.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Couldn't care less about other people's device use in public but kids in public spaces with tablets with the volume turned up is really annoying.
  • Kow wrote:
    I think the idea of digital reduction is great, we're all a bit addicted most likely. But some people (not here maybe) think they can lay down the law for everyone. Put away your phone if you're talking to me. No, fuck you. Be more interesting and I might.

For me, it depends on the group I'm with. There's a group I go for a beer with who never even seem to check a phone for messages when I'm with them. They would consider getting a phone out and putting it on the table in a pub weird. Other friends will share a laugh over YouTube, text, look up memes etc. I guess I've tended to adapt my behaviour for the social situation.

n0face wrote:
    Couldn't care less about other people's device use in public but kids in public spaces with tablets with the volume turned up is really annoying.

This boils my piss. Had it in a restaurant once. Kept turning round and giving daggers to family in question. Took the Dad about 30 minutes to say "I think we should turn it down as it's annoying other people". Even heard of headphones mate? What a clown.
  • I’m on the train home from the town. There’s a cunt in the seat in front of me blaring shit techno music over his phone speakers.
    Mercifully I get off at the next stop, but this reminds me why I almost never use public transport. Fuck this guy.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Fuck people and their lack of manners
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Pure ragin.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Why the fuck do people play stuff through tinny speakers when they can just use some headphones. Cunt.

As for the kids being “out of the loop” at social events kids have always taken themselves out of the broader party and gone and done what they like. It’s just now there’s probably a few of them at the family event taking the piss out of all the grown ups using their tablets.
  • Feeling inspired by this thread, I've continued to look at every app on my phone to see if I can get rid of, or, more precisely, move it away so the phone is not a distraction.

- All the emulators have been deleted.  
     - All local music has been deleted, with only Apple Music and BBC Sounds remaining
     - Excel and some of my banking apps have gone.
     - Youtube disabled.  Yeah I know it's Google, but WHY CAN'T I DELETE IT?
     - ALL INTERNET BROWSERS!  GONE!  I may forget to play Wordle :(
     - My Google Widget is gone, and the Google app itself has been relegated to a folder in the app drawer.

I still have some apps I'd like to get shut of but can't just yet, but the phone is slowly being turned into a simple camera phone with a very nice screen.
    [quote="Moot_Geeza"]I hope you've been putting lotto tickets on recently Kris. You're overdue a bit of luck. [/quote]

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!