General Games News
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So how long till it's just Nintendo and Microsoft?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    That sounds shit to me.
  • Bollockoff wrote:

And Valve. arrrrrgh no he didnt!
  • Here Lieth A Last Guardian.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It'll be a launch title for the Samsung Playstation.
  • @Brooks: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It'll be a launch title for the Samsung Playstation.

to be honest, if Samsung did a console they'd integrate it into TVs surely?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I don't think we're at a stage when console standard graphics could be put inside a TV just yet.
  • I can't see it as a model that would work unless there is a stand alone console too.

How many people would want to or could afford buy a new TV just to have the console? Uptake would be slow and small.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I don't think we're at a stage when console standard graphics could be put inside a TV just yet.

At large format TV surely easily contains the space round the back to fit the gubbins of a PS3 though?

In fact I'm surprised that Sony haven't actually done this on their top end TV's already.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Bad enough sending your PS3 or 360 away for repair, you don't want it attached to your TV when it goes.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:

And Ouya. Obviously.

• acemuzzy wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    And Ouya. Obviously.
    Boom!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Caught the new Hunter multiplayer game mode for Crysis 3. Actually looks really fun with 2 Nanosuit equipped players against 14 Cell Troopers who are trying to GET TO DA CHOPPA.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Fucking selfish bastards... 

http://c-techworld.com/?p=197
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • AI and combat lead designers at Irrational quit.

Bioshock Infinite gonna be ok, you reckon? Hope so, I want it to be good.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've a feeling Bioshock has been delayed because of competition despite what they say.
  • Fucking selfish bastards...  http://c-techworld.com/?p=197

I'd actually like more companies to do this.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    While I'm paying for these things, I don't agree. 
    If I become the best Halo player eva, and decide to publish a book (with screenshots) called;

The Bags' Under Your Eyes*

Then I, and I alone should profit from that (well... The publishers and authors, anyway). I'd want Microsoft's blessings for doing so, but if they want to be dicks, then fine.

To what legal contract might a journalist subscribe, when one wants to review a game or write a feature?

*Or something...
  • You will be profiting off their artwork though, via screen shots etc.

It's not just games that are covered in this way, literally every image is covered by copyright laws that state you have to seek permission for using them (unlees stated otherwise by the owner), it's nothing new. I think it's fair enough that the people who create something are entitled to protect that thing and profit from it too.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    You see, I was going to bring audio clearances into this argument but then we'd really be stringing it...
    I think the law should move on slightly to take derivative work into account...

You take the sum of the new work, attempt to judge whether it can survive without the work from which it was derived, and whether the 'base' work suffers from the existence of the derivative...

Once my rule is law (Bwahaha!), then Youtuber's would have the right to diddle whole day. And as a bonus,
    Dan Brown's work would be punishable...

Rather than merely punishing, as things currently stand.
  • WorKid wrote:
    What about fair use?

For fair use to apply you would need to comment on the game, not simply modify and re-sell it. Through the eyes of copyright law, these videos are akin to revising parts of Harry Potter and selling it on Kindle. And no, they don't straightforwardly benefit Microsoft but risk damaging the brand by mixing it in with amateur frat-boy hysterics.
  • Quite, and for a derivative work to belong to you, rather than the original creator, you need to have contributed more to it than the originator. Suggesting that a film of you playing a game counts as this is laughable.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Choke wrote:
    What about fair use?
    For fair use to apply you would need to comment on the game, not simply modify and re-sell it. Through the eyes of copyright law, these videos are akin to revising parts of Harry Potter and selling it on Kindle. And no, they don't straightforwardly benefit Microsoft but risk damaging the brand by mixing it in with amateur frat-boy hysterics.

Um, you're still allowed to use footage for whatever you want. Frat boy antics or your "top 5 reasons Halo sucks balls" video. What they're saying you can't do is profit from it. Which seems basically fair enough.

If your plan to feed your family is based on YouTube views then maybe you need to rethink your career. Or use a different game. If this means I see one less Ad By Google then super.

If you're an artist who wants his work to be seen you'll forgo the ad revenue.

What EA are doing is saying it's fine to run ads, as long as they get the revenue. Which does indeed suck massive balls. I'd have to question whether I wanted to put time into creating videos if someone else is creaming the revenue. No one getting revenue is easier to swallow.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    How about those PD football clip compilations that focus on a particular player?
    Would you say that the player, the club, or perhaps even FIFA itself, should claim on those?

I mean it's not particularly well edited, is it? Not that the number of viewers has any bearing on that...
  • If your plan to feed your family is based on YouTube views then maybe you need to rethink your career
    Heh.

The profit bit is the biggest bother, and kind of stamps all over whatever free culture gubbins can be put forward in defence.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • @dynamite
    Those football clips will likely belong to whatever company paid for the rights to host that match. Unless they have since been sold on to a third party.

How much would go to them or Fifa or whoever else will depend on the contract negotiated. I would strongly guess the player gets no royalties however they are compensated through their pay instead, hence the huge salaries players are on.

Sure g.man will know more on that side of things.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Those football clips will likely belong to whatever company paid for the rights...

Aye. That did slip my mind. Besides, them sports dudes have innumerable stakeholders nowadays anyway, but that doesn't alter the point I'm trying to make all that much.

Here's another poser (because I like stupid similies)...

If I take a whole series of Delia Smith reruns, mack' all her recipes, then open a
    restaurant off the back of that knowledge... If she finds out, can she go all gansta' on my clart? 

I accept that this is rather different to the Microsoft game thing... The true equivalent to that, would see me using brand names on the menu of my fictional eatery.
  • I believe so, it would be down to her lawyers to prove that is what you have done though. It would be extremely difficult however.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!