General Games News
  • What deal do they have with Marvel?
    Is it like the one EA used to have with Star Wars or is it a game to game thing?

Marvel is worth a ton as a license but Square Enix fucked it with that Avengers game.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It was a one to one game and yep, marvel moved away post Avengers.
  • They did GotG but I guess that was probably signed up to before Avengers turned into a disaster.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It was a one to one game and yep, marvel moved away post Avengers.

They did guardians after avengers.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    /me: posts something about buying companies for their underused IP

Forum: Nah, you got to buy more than IP.

*Squenix sells off some studios*

Forum: Wow, think of the IP.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wvihq7nzbpaan1550ivumenfo9thx3y3urobxud8&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

<3
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I actually dont think the Enix IP is all that valuable outside of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider has its fair share of shite releases.
  • Squeenix’ has dev teams that actually exist though, think that’s the point. Konami is all IP, no actual dev groups. But this gets you Eidos Montreal, Crystal Dynamics etc.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    /me: posts something about buying companies for their underused IP

Forum: Nah, you got to buy more than IP.

*Squenix sells off some studios*

Forum: Wow, think of the IP.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47wvihq7nzbpaan1550ivumenfo9thx3y3urobxud8&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

<3

But this was a deal involving IP and studios which can work on that IP. The only reason that the IP is getting mentioned at all is because this seems cheap for the IP that comes with it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    The thing about dev teams is that they change. Do you think that the people who made the original Metal Gear Solid are still at Konami? Are the people who wrote and drew the Moon Knight comics making the TV show? Is Call of Duty valuable to Microsoft because of the dev teams, or the name? Did George Lucas make The Mandalorian?

Remember when Bungie broke away from Microsoft - they bought their freedom with Halo. They didn't give them a team.

I dunno. I see what you're all saying, but single-digit billions for a company with some IP that they've let languish, versus tens of billions for Activision Blizzard because Call of Duty happens to still sell well... for me the former seems like a better deal.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I actually dont think the Enix IP is all that valuable outside of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider has its fair share of shite releases.

The Squeenix TR games have sold 38 million between them. That seems worth the price alone.
  • Its just business really.
    A-B is a safe bet so it costs more, returns will be instant and should be continuous at least mid term without any real effort.
    The percentage returns compared to investment in Konami or half of Square Enix will be lower but that is only if those investments can deliver returns which is more of a gamble.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Creating a triple A game these days is a commitment of 4-6 years and involves thousands of people. Where are all of these people coming from to build these games?

Setting up new studios isn’t easy, there’s huge competition for staff in the industry at the moment, perhaps one of your existing studios would like to work on one of the IPs you’ve just bought, but then they aren’t working on whatever else they could have been doing.

Setting up a studio for something like Halo makes sense as Halo is massive, but few IPs are worth the amount of effort it takes to create new studios from scratch.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I actually dont think the Enix IP is all that valuable outside of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider has its fair share of shite releases.
    The Squeenix TR games have sold 38 million between them. That seems worth the price alone.

Needs another rehash though doesnt it.
    Also 'sold' versus profits is questionable with those titles. They were given away and heavily discounted a fair old amount.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s getting another rehash apparently.
  • No doubt, its Tomb Raider.
    If its any good we will have to see.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Setting up new studios isn’t easy, there’s huge competition for staff in the industry at the moment, perhaps one of your existing studios would like to work on one of the IPs you’ve just bought, but then…

Yup. It’s not just about a few creative leads - it’s about having entire departments up and running, and teams that have experience getting games out the door in the past few years. IPs are valuable, but established, successful experienced teams are just as much so.

Let me put it this way. Did Sony buy Insomniac for Sunset Overdrive? Did Microsoft buy obsidian because they really wanted Pillars of Eternity?

Or was it because these were teams that were able to put out games every 2-3 years with a strong rep and established pipelines?
  • That’s not to diminish the importance of IP - it’s massive. But capcom teams ready to work on capcom IP is infinitely more valuable than a zombie Konami with a bunch of neglected IP.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    This hits Game Pass today:

Looks pretty good, I reckon, although I’m a bit busy with Doom Eternal to try it for myself.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm
  • Yeah.  Not yet (Yomi approaching fast), but it looks interesting.
  • I quite liked the look of LR, but didn't realise it had a release date until yesterday. It's going to have to get in the queue behind other stuff now.
  • Possibly the best modern run & gun has a sequel on the way.  Trailer is 8mths old, but I missed the good news.  It's a side scrolling shooter now, by the looks of it, which I'm okay with.

Yes it looks hideous.  Valfaris played a treat though.
  • This chap kens.

"Valfaris is not only one of the best action games of the year, but also one of the best side scroller shooters in over three decades of their existence".
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
  • It might have been good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    BURN
  • Yeah, that looks better to me. Would play.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    It does look like it'd be fun to bimble around the isometric island, then head into some Super Mario World-esque 2D platforming.
  • That screenshot plays better than sunshine.
  • Chaos Gate: Demonhunters has been getting loads of love from the likes of PolygonRPS, and Eurogamer. I was sold at "40k does XCOM". PC only atm. 

ACG really likes it as well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!