The Write Stuff - NKOTB tribute thread
  • Just don't include aliens. I don't think they would fit.

In all seriousness, I would like a good twist filled thriller but I understand the difficulties with that. It's difficult to offer suggestions as I don't know what you already have planned, but as a reader I really want the reveal of the 'bad guy' to be the main, big moment/twist. I look forward to it either way.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    That's one of the two options, the reveal. I'd like to say more but don't wish to spoil it so I'll schtum about potential plot until its written :D
  • Good stuff, as I said before, I look forward to reading it.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    damn ds i wanna read the rest NOW! :(
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    :D

Finishing it off tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    woop woop.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I'll bring it over here as this is the relevant thread: Spoilered as its longish. First draft, so obvious errors will be ironed out in editing and such:
    Spoiler:

Nice

This is a short story, right? Otherwise I'd say the pace was a bit frantic. As a short story though it is perfect.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye, short story. I do have novel on the go, but I only write it sporadically so as not to get too bogged down.
  • When's the next bit of it coming? I want to find out what happens!

While we wait, here is my next chapter
  • Ok, here's an excerpt from the thing I'm writing at the moment.
  • Formatting spoiler tagged posts is a bitch, sorry.

Anyone reading here have any talent for drawing? A related project I'm mulling over could do with some pencil sketched artwork to do with the above.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    When's the next bit of it coming? I want to find out what happens!

It'll be Monday when I continue :)

Shall check yours, Aarons and tigers shortly.
  • Carbon: How do you buddy up on the NaNo site? I couldn't see an option to search for other members.

Here's me, anyway. I, err, need to increase my output.
  • Carbon: How do you buddy up on the NaNo site? I couldn't see an option to search for other members. Here's me, anyway. I, err, need to increase my output.

Think I've added you - you're in my buddy list now anyway. Not sure if you have to do something to get me in your list?

click on this and see if you get an "add as buddy option"

gonna read your stuff now
  • Ok, here's an excerpt from the thing I'm writing at the moment. 
    Spoiler:

So this is all sorts of awesome

Really like the "grime" of the situation and you convey the hive of activity of a, to the reader, alien world really well.

Minor editing points - double mention of "barked" and "barking" in the first part doesn't read right . And "One pairing's cable snapped as they descended, sending them spiralling into the freezing tundra far below. Once they reached the thick treads, they unhooked" makes it read like the unfortunate sod that fell off was somehow alive at the bottom to unhook. Maybe add a line detailing the "splat" ?!

I want to read more, in many ways I'd like this chapter to be longer, find out more about Nomad.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Formatting spoiler tagged posts is a bitch, sorry. Anyone reading here have any talent for drawing? A related project I'm mulling over could do with some pencil sketched artwork to do with the above.
    That reads right up my alley. Can't promise nothin, in fact assume that's what you're getting, but if I find the time I'll have a jab at it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Cheers, Skerret. Will fire you a PM. Shouldn't be too much of it if you ever have the time.

Carbon: Thanks. I think it sets Nomad up well enough - though it's hard to know if I'm detailing enough for people to see what I see - but it's great to know it's interesting, if nothing else! I've made a couple of tweaks and added another paragraph. There are a few other little bits I want to sneak in there... that might have to come later.

I've read your opening sections, and I started DS's before getting called elsewhere. Impressions tonight!
  • DS: I liked it. It's certainly not my normal taste, but it was interesting enough to keep me reading. I particularly liked the dialogue from initial phone call - sharp, concise, pressurized... exactly what you wanted, I imagine. The only thing that didn't scan too well for me was the discovery of the bag's contents (it almost reads like he knew what was in the bag before he opened it).

I'll be interested to see how it pans out. I wrote a short story involving a bank robbery a while ago. Well, it was going to be a bank robbery, then the protagonist bottled it. So, yeah, vaguely similar themes in a roundabout not-actually-that similar way.

Carbon: I've really enjoyed what I've read - though I skimmed certain sections. Particularly Part 1: Fighting. Very reminiscent of Hitch Hiker's, that part, and I enjoyed the descriptions detailing the rise of the conglomerates a lot. Really nice stuff.

Aaron: I'll try and have a read over your story tomorrow.
  • I'll try and have a read through of the stuff in this thread. Hopefully will kick start my writing some.

When does everyone write? How do you find the time?
  • Basically, if I have work I should be doing, I'll write. It's not easy to find the time, but I guess you just have to make sacrifices or you'll never do it.
  • I do alot of music so i make sacrifices for that. I want to write also but i just don't have any time. I'm actually writing at work a bit, but its hard because i have to be stealthy about it so's not to get busted. Will post up the beginnings of a short story i'm doing once its off the ground.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I write as I have all the free time in the world.

Cheers for the feedback, Tiger. Have absolutely zero to do today so will get onto those posted, and crack on with mine.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    @Carbon: Enjoyed it. Not a genre I'd read, I'm not one for space and such, but it flows well. Love the descriptive prose, sets a clear picture in my noggin.

@Aaron: Similarly, not a genre I'd read, but again, it read well. Loving the slight cliffhanger ;)

@tiger: Descriptive prose hard on :D I have a thing for setting a scene, and by fuck did you do it with some aplomb. Kudos, sir. Alas I doubt it'll head down the dark route I like my fiction to.
  • Cheers, DS. What is the route you like your fiction to take, may I ask? 

I'm finding, frustratingly, the rest of my NaNo book isn't quite fitting in with the tone of that segment. At least, it doesn't feel like it is at present. Hmph. Also struggling with conversation, I feel.

I'll try and write up something a bit more detailed for each of your stories when I get time, but I'm hesitant to critique too much as, frankly, I don't think I've got the knowledge or reading to do so effectively (barring pure opinion shouts). Where's dat Reg, huh? Or Tempy, I'd value his thoughts.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I prefer the darker side, a character struggling with their own problems. A lot of internal dialogue and such. Complex, troubled, a bit twisted etc. I primarily read horror, its my go to. I can relate more, I believe.
  • Just read your bit Tiger. Would definitely read more. Lovely descriptions, want to hear more about that world.
  • Here's something I wrote while on a train a couple of weeks ago, it's pretty rough but would be good to know if it is any good at all or if I should NEVER WRITE AGAIN.
    Spoiler:
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • WTF spoiler what? Will try it again.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!