theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Well with genes like that no wonder she was foxy.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    She made a fine Dr. Marcus. Plus, Kirk turning around was pure Kirk, so it kinda worked on that level, cheap as it was.

Pegg was hit and miss. Some scenes he was the living reincarnation of Doohan, others his accent would slip into something undefinable. But over all he was pretty good.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blonde piece had a fucked up face. Body was nice tho.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    "Fucked up face"? She wasn't exactly a Splicer now, was she? :P
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Saw Into Darkness, slightly better story but otherwise I had the same problems with it I'd had with the first one.

Still trying to figure out if Cumberbatch knew his people would end up on the Enterprise or if that was pure chance. Judging by the writers track record they may not know themselves.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    ST: ID
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian wrote:
    ST: ID
    Spoiler:

Yup, this is what I thought. Otherwise, there was no reason for him to do that thing you just said.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • how can anyone see it as anything other than a generic action film? 
    i was ticking off my little star trek reboot movie checklist the whole time.

kirk being chased by monster leading to daring escape
    kirk having 3 way
    spock says illogical all the time
    spock actually has 'emotions'
    kirk gets reprimanded
    mccoy says hes a doctor not a -Deforest Kelley-
    simon pegg comedy lines involving his little mute helper crab
    new female officer walks around in underwear
    "we'll fit! we won't etc"
    evil english actor badguy super-villain
    leonard nimoy needs more money

i was dumbfounded by the opening scene. why on earth would you hide a spaceship underwater? it's a fucking spaceship. and the whole "they'll see it coming out of the water" well fucking hide in space next time dickheads. 

also star trek has alway been about exploring and politics at it's heart, and the longest section of dialogue in this movie was ended by everyone in the conversation getting murdered by a helicopter.

the most intelligent part of the movie was making that ship look exactly like the enterprise in silhouette. that trailer had me fooled till the end of the movie.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    I was dumbfounded by the opening scene. why on earth would you hide a spaceship underwater? it's a fucking spaceship. and the whole "they'll see it coming out of the water" well fucking hide in space next time dickheads.

Yeah, that was a bit silly.
  • That review pretty much nails it for me (apart from the bit where they have anything positive to say about Iron Man 3).
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Smang wrote:
    I was dumbfounded by the opening scene. why on earth would you hide a spaceship underwater? it's a fucking spaceship. and the whole "they'll see it coming out of the water" well fucking hide in space next time dickheads.
    Yeah, that was a bit silly.

Didn't it say something about atmospheric disruption from the volcano. Or something.

I really enjoyed it, however I've just sat here fro a good 5 minutes trying to remember whether Cumberbatch dies at the end.
  • Spoiler:
    "In the long run, if you play solid, you'll be a more solid player." Aris Bakhthanians
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Didn't it say something about atmospheric disruption from the volcano. Or something. I really enjoyed it, however I've just sat here fro a good 5 minutes trying to remember whether Cumberbatch dies at the end.

i'm probably wrong and slightly sickened that i remember but i think that was the ash getting in the engines when they were flying into the volcano itself. again, seemingly redundant after they transport spock out so WHY NOT DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE. 

because a giant spaceship rising out of water is fun cgi and looks good in 3D, that's why.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yes it did look good.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Smang, yeah I'll +1 all those complaints.

Also didn't like
    Spoiler:
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Cherry_Pez wrote:
    Spoiler:

Ahh yes, thank you!
  • Smang, yeah I'll +1 all those complaints. Also didn't like
    Spoiler:

the homage to the 'original' movie was nice-ish, but very badly acted - spocks 'outburst' at the end was frankly embarrassing.

i see what they tried to do, kirk saving spock at the start despite the directive - then full circle with spock understanding friendship etc. but it was just not backed up by any dialogue or character development. by comparison the 'first' movie is a literary masterpiece.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If I had a choice I'd have preferred a wholly new story rather than a re-telling with roles jumbled up. But like I say, I still enjoyed it.

I get that the series is all about sitting round discussing moral conundrums. But that's a TV series not a summer blockbuster.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I don't think summer blockbusters necessarily have to have dumb stories.

What will the sequel have then?
    I think Kirk will be fighting Klingon Borgs on the Genesis planet whilst Spock goes through Pon Far.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Was Star Trek dumb? It wasn't a too-clever-by-half Christopher Nolan wankery, but it wasn't Transformers levels of brain rot either.
  • The next film will have Q in it. And Patrick Stewart.
  • I think it was still a fairly simple story (with very similar themes) but it just had more dialogue and less constant whizz-bang-chase-scene-explosion-etc-etc. Plus it was redoing the origin bit so you had all the characters bumping heads as they got to know one another, which seemed to just give it a bit more weight. It certainly wasn't Dark Knight, but it is leagues above all that empty Bay shite. 

I just left ST2 feeling empty and a little exhausted. As the RedLetterMedia review points out, it felt like they came up with a bunch of set-pieces and tried to just thread a story through them.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    I'd definitely call it dumb. They name dropped just enough smart words or classic Star Trek references to make it clear they didn't understand what they meant. Maybe Into Darkness is only as stupid as the average summer blockbuster, but it is a genre known for it's dumbness, and I don't see any reason why that has to be the case, especially in a franchise known for exploring ideas, other summer movies have been action packed and still had good characters and stories.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think movies generally are dumb, the format pretty much calls for it. Most films that don't seem to be dumb are, in fact, just confusing rather than intelligent.

You want clever visual entertainment? Watch TV.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Maybe I mean the writers are dumb rather than the plot, the plot is actually fairly convoluted so maybe you could call it smart in that sense.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I think movies generally are dumb, the format pretty much calls for it. Most films that don't seem to be dumb are, in fact, just confusing rather than intelligent. You want clever visual entertainment? Watch TV.

If we can fuck off making Star Trek films and have instead a new series, I will gladly take that option. Where do I send the money?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Straight to me. I'll PM you my PayPal details.
  • Little Franklin
    Show networks
    PSN
    LittleFranklin
    Steam
    Little Franklin

Send message
    Would a TV show be clever now after the tone set by the films?
    Probably more likely to be 'Lost' than 'Game of Thrones'.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That depends how much money you send me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!